No announcement yet.

Big Bend -or- Bust

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That guy can pack away some groceries can't he?
    Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

Originally posted by jwhughes3 View Post
      Please note that collection of plates in front of Brent are all his, Jeff and mine are cleared away....

John
      Hi John,
      Nice to see you were able to join in the fun with Jeff & Brent.
      Phil
      1981 XS1100 H Venturer ( Addie)
      1983 XJ 650 Maxim
      2004 Kawasaki Concours. ( Black Bear)

Comment

Yes, only wish I could have ridden out to Big Bend.

John
        John is in an anonymous city with an Alamo (N29.519227,W-98.678980)

Go ahead, click on the bikes - you know you want to...the electrons are ready.
        '81 XS1100H - "Enterprise"
        Bob Jones Custom Navy bike: Tkat brace, EBC floating rotors & SS lines, ROX pivot risers, Geezer rectifier, new 3H3 engine

"Not all treasure is silver and gold"

Comment

home

John
          Me too. I am home now. I turned toward home short of there at the Camp Wood, TX stop wednesday morning.. Rode TX farm road 337 and took John's recommendation of 46 through New Braunfell and on to Blacks BBQ in Lockhart, TX. Thier giant BBQ beef ribs are huge and delicious. Briscuit and turkey was also quite good Made Lafayette, LA that night. Thursday I took US90 from Bay St. Louis to Ocean Springs, MS. Very pretty, right beside the beach for about 30 miles. Then Hwy 57 BBQ heaven; The Shed. The sampler plate comes with 7 different meats & 2 sides. All quite good. Really excells at the pork; pulled, Baby back and regular ribs. Cool ride on Thursday and after I returned home, Snow flurries and sleet were reported before dawn. Rain here today off & on, but flowers and blossoms are blooming and Spring is on the way. 2580 miles 7days. 368/day average. Many happy miles.

There has been some mention of an XSsouthwest rally. something to think about, John.
          It is a great big beautiful world out there
          Brent in GA
          Yamaha 80XS1100SG, HD Firefighter Special Edition 02 Road King, Honda 450 rat, 08 Buell 1125R tour modified, 83 goldwing parts bike gone-traded for XJ1100, 2014 HD electraglide police

Comment

John
            Yes, that would have been fun. Stayed over in Alpine and rode the Ft Davis TX166 loop then three nights in Chisos Basin in Big Bend. Did some hiking too. Temps in the low 90's Wed-Sun, but now cooler. Not a cloud to be seen in the past four days.

Sunday after lunch in Terlingua (Big Bend) I rode 330 miles to Del Rio. Yesterday went back to Camp Wood and rode RR337, TX16, TX46.

Thanks for the tip on TX46, that was an enjoyable ride. Stopped at Black's BBQ in Lockhart for their famous A+ Prime Black Angus brisket. Also had a pit & wood pile tour. They burn Post Oak wood which is different. Rode 433 miles yesterday and now in Conroe. Heading into Louisiana backroads today.

First day in Big Bend - A cloudy day in Texas!
            Not a good place to go off the road with all the cactus and thorn shrubs with EMS 200+ miles away

Chihuahuan Desert - full of hazards

Texas Rally, yes Roads good and the scenery is spectacular

Jeff
            Last edited by JeffH; 03-26-2013, 08:57 AM.
            78' XS1100 E
            78' XS1100 E
            78' XS1100 E

'73 Norton 850 Commando
            '99 Triumph Sprint ST
            '02 G-Wing GL1800

Comment

Arrived Home

Back at Home! Thankfully no problems ...... just a nice ride.
              Rode 3,753 miles and had an exceptionally great time. Weather was just suburb with temps hitting warm to hot (65 to 90 degrees) heading west and cooler (50 to 70 degrees) returning east. Lot's of sunshine along the way and 85-90 degrees while hiking along the Rio Grande.

Was going to cross the border and have lunch in Ojinga Mexico but found out that a journalist
              took 18 bullets just two weeks ago. Didn't want to take that high a risk.

Plan B was eat here in Terlingua ghost town. Good place for a Rally - Motel & Food but a bit out of the way.

Rio Grande River ..... USA in the foreground, and Mexico on the other side. With all the upstream water usage
              there is not much water left in the river. Was surprised it was so small, more like a creek.
              This is just outside Santa Elena Canyon.

Would have been nice to have others join along for the adventure but weather is always a crap shoot and March is not a good vacation month for most people.

Jeff
              78' XS1100 E
              78' XS1100 E
              78' XS1100 E

'73 Norton 850 Commando
              '99 Triumph Sprint ST
              '02 G-Wing GL1800

Comment

what a wonderful ride great pic,s Brent did ya get any barbeque????? thanks for the post and the great pictures Jeff@Brent ride safe ,,,slow mo!!
                The Belfast Express {1980 xs11oo special/TC fuse box/mikes xs pods/bad boy horn!/mikes green coils/mac 4 into 2 exhaust/ standard bars/vetter fairing c/w ipod CD iphone am/fm radio/tkat fork brace ,,,tuned by tinman
                moemcnally@hotmail.com
                i AM THE KING OF NOTHING

the people here are great , doesn't matter about the bike really/hamjam ////

Comment

Bbq!

Originally posted by slow mo View Post
                  what a wonderful ride great pic,s Brent did ya get any barbeque????? thanks for the post and the great pictures Jeff@Brent ride safe ,,,slow mo!!
                  BBQ? Yes. All excellent.
                  Chucks BBQ opalika, AL
                  Chopped chunks of smoked pork in sandwich with a mustard based sauce. Pork ribs. Brunswick stew

Salt lick BBQ Driftwood, TX (near Austin)
                  All you can eat family style - Beef Briscuit, Briscuit burnt ends , lean Briscuit, large link sausage sliced, pork ribs,

Blacks BBQ Lockhart, TX
                  Beef Briscuit, Huge giant beef rib, turkey

The Shed Ocean springs, MS
                  The sampler plate has 7 different types of meat. Pork ribs slathered with sauce - delightful.

Each place had sides too. Baked beans, sweet potatoe, and potato salad etc were good. It may seem like a lot of BBQ in one week, but each was unique with regional differences. I would gladly do a repeat at any and all again.

Roads and scenery were even better than Jeff describes. I Had to eat to keep up my strenght for riding and maybe a little wrenching, but I certainly Enjoyed it

Thanks for asking, SloMo. There was no poutine available, and I believe the big home cut fries are better in Ontario.
                  It is a great big beautiful world out there
                  Brent in GA
                  Yamaha 80XS1100SG, HD Firefighter Special Edition 02 Road King, Honda 450 rat, 08 Buell 1125R tour modified, 83 goldwing parts bike gone-traded for XJ1100, 2014 HD electraglide police

Comment

Working...
                  X