Big Bend -or- Bust

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Big Bend -or- Bust

Weather is great, so time to take a Ride. Atlanta GA out to Big Bend National Park. Brent has joined me for some of the ride. Motels in Thomasville AL (tonight), Natchez MS (Sat 16th), Livingston TX (Sun 17th), Dripping Springs TX (Mon 18th) with dinner at Salt Lick in Driftwood, Camp Wood TX (Tue 19th). Then out to Alpine TX (Wed 20th) and then Big Bend for 2-3 days Thu-Sat 21-24.

Planned Route westbound

PM us if you are interested in meeting up to ride or join us some night for dinner. 75 degrees and sunny today. Great ride on some county roads along the way. Went 340 miles today.

Jeff & Brent
    78' XS1100 E
    78' XS1100 E
    78' XS1100 E

'73 Norton 850 Commando
    '99 Triumph Sprint ST
    '02 G-Wing GL1800

Fri 18th Pics across Alabama

Opelika AL to sample Ribs, Chop Pork BBQ and Brunswick Stew for lunch (happy to report no snow here)

Brent cutting a rug on AL Hwy 51

Rode through area of Forest Fire north of Troy AL on county road

Brent testing the GL1800 on AL Hwy 10 (great road)

Unloading at Sunset Inn in Thomasville AL to discuss our XS11's

May post a few more pics along the way.

Jeff
    78' XS1100 E
    78' XS1100 E
    78' XS1100 E

'73 Norton 850 Commando
    '99 Triumph Sprint ST
    '02 G-Wing GL1800

Comment

850 miles is a little too far for me to come say hi on a saturday or I would. Looks like you'll be going right through San Antonio though. Maybe jwhughs3 wil ride show you around a bit and ride along.

John's always up for a ride when he's not off in Can'taffordya on business.
      Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

I am!

But I will be in Austin next weekend for my sister's wedding!

Maybe she can move it...

PM me for a cell...I would like to try and say hi or something and I might be able to ride Sunday afternoon!

John
        John is in an anonymous city with an Alamo (N29.519227,W-98.678980)

Go ahead, click on the bikes - you know you want to...the electrons are ready.
        '81 XS1100H - "Enterprise"
        Bob Jones Custom Navy bike: Tkat brace, EBC floating rotors & SS lines, ROX pivot risers, Geezer rectifier, new 3H3 engine

"Not all treasure is silver and gold"

Comment

Ehhhh...........you can see your sister anytime. Brent and Jeff don't get to Texas all the time.
          Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

Originally posted by BA80 View Post
            850 miles is a little too far for me to come say hi on a saturday or I would..
            Greg,

Yeah, bit too far. You are centrally located, but you sure can rack up some miles being centrally located. Sure would like to ride with you though. We keep taking these winter rides and stay as far south as we can. Hope we can do a ride sometime later this year.

Jeff & Brent
            78' XS1100 E
            78' XS1100 E
            78' XS1100 E

'73 Norton 850 Commando
            '99 Triumph Sprint ST
            '02 G-Wing GL1800

Comment

Proof they are in Texas!

Jeff and Brent at The Salt Lick BBQ in Dripping Springs, TX.

"You can smell their pits for miles!" (The bbq, not Jeff & Brent)

I drove up last evening after work from San Antonio and met for some of the best BBQ anywhere. As you can see, I was the only one on an XS11

Jeff and I had a sensible sampling of pork ribs, sausage, brisket and smoked turkey. Brent was allowed to order the "All you can eat" despite my warnings to the waitress of the possibility of bankruptcy.

Plentiful beans, cole slaw, potato salad, bread, pickles, onions, roasted jalapeños and sauce rounded out the meal (and really good tea).

We were there THREE hours, mostly watching Brent eat plates of ribs and brisket, considering we should enjoy this meal because it might not be here the next time we come! Then it was down to the last rib,which Brent graciously offered to Jeff and I as we discussed rides and life. A couple minutes later, Brent asked us where the rib was....we were three feet away. I think he inhaled.

There was talk of the huge cobbler with ice cream that was tempting, but sensibility took over instead. I was informed my money was no good there (thanks for dinner guys) and we retired to the parking lot, releasing our table to the long line waiting to taste the tasty grub.

After further reflection in the parking lot about tires and the Twisted Sisters, I left them to wobble back to their motel and made the always exciting Texas Hill Country ride on Farm Roads trying not to overdrive my lights and ever watchful for Bambi.

Good luck guys on the Sisters today!

John
              Last edited by jwhughes3; 03-19-2013, 07:13 AM.

Bob Jones Custom Navy bike: Tkat brace, EBC floating rotors & SS lines, ROX pivot risers, Geezer rectifier, new 3H3 engine

Comment

If you see a guy with a sidecar and a dog, riding around the area, tell him I said hi. If he invites you to eat, say yes. You might have to help but it will definitely be worth it.
                I've been in more than one Hemisphere, and I wrote a book to help you do it too (or just prepare better for that week long road trip). Going Small, not just for the little guys.

Comment

You two are never home. Thanks for the pictures. Have a good safe ride.
                  Phil
                  1981 XS1100 H Venturer ( Addie)
                  1983 XJ 650 Maxim
                  2004 Kawasaki Concours. ( Black Bear)

Comment

Ride has been going great so far. 1,484 miles from Atlanta. 653 miles east of the Mississippi River, 831 miles west of Mississippi River. Haven't found the side car w/ dog yet but are looking. Enjoying a variety of roads, people and local cuisine along the way.

Hair dryer was busted, so Brent found another option

Will post a few pictures tonight. Time to ride some more!!~

Jeff & Brent
                    78' XS1100 E
                    78' XS1100 E
                    78' XS1100 E

'73 Norton 850 Commando
                    '99 Triumph Sprint ST
                    '02 G-Wing GL1800

Comment

What has been seen, can never be UNSEEN.

John

Comment

Day 2 Saturday Mar16

Rode across Mississippi on a variety of roads and stayed overnight at Natchez. Got into some really funky remote places on some local county bumpy roads. Brent's bike turned 200,000 Miles today! That is a lot of riding

AM Rest Stop leaving Alabama

Mississippi Hwy 28 out of Laurel is a great ride

Got on the Natchez Trace late afternoon and rode 40 miles from Port Gibson to the southern entrance outside Natchez

At the welcome center watching sunset overlooking the Mississippi River

Had dinner at Fat Mama's Tamales. Continuing West into Louisiana tomorrow. 653 miles so far from Atlanta.
                        78' XS1100 E
                        78' XS1100 E
                        78' XS1100 E

'73 Norton 850 Commando
                        '99 Triumph Sprint ST
                        '02 G-Wing GL1800

Comment

Day 3 Sunday March 17 Louisiana

Left Natchez and crossed the Mississippi River. Then rode down the River Road on the west side. Just an A+ excellent ride. Poked around Louisiana on a bunch of local roads getting across the bayou.

Mississippi River Road - no traffic - beautiful scenery - some amazing sweepers following the river

Not sure where Bunkie is but we did some of the Colonial Trails getting around the bayou's

Big Smile as we hit Texas line on US190

Brent enjoying the 75 mph speed limit in Texas - Yee Haw!

Crossing the Neches River near Woodville Texas

Dinner at Manny's They had to close after we fished our Crawfish & Catfish & Oysters

Monday across Texas to meet John at Salt Lick BBQ
                          78' XS1100 E
                          78' XS1100 E
                          78' XS1100 E

'73 Norton 850 Commando
                          '99 Triumph Sprint ST
                          '02 G-Wing GL1800

Comment

Day 4 Monday March 18 Texas

Still riding! Heading to motel in Dripping Springs then off to have dinner with John. Really amazing to ride in March and have such great weather day after day with warm temps. Ride plan is working out great so far.

Really beautiful roads and scenery in Texas. This is Coldsprings, Richards, Sommerville back roads

No traffic and good (no great) sweepers

Great lunch for just $3 bucks (for breakfast Taco plate) in Sommerville TX

Finally got an XS11 in the pics (thanks John). Gives me motivation to get my 11E long distance ready

Brent doing some damage on his "All You Can Eat" at Salt Lick BBQ. The XS/XJ community sure is a great group of people

Next is riding the Texas Hill Country and the twisted or three sisters #335-#336-#337 out to stay in Camp Wood.
                            Last edited by JeffH; 03-22-2013, 08:34 PM.
                            78' XS1100 E
                            78' XS1100 E
                            78' XS1100 E

'73 Norton 850 Commando
                            '99 Triumph Sprint ST
                            '02 G-Wing GL1800

Comment

Please note that collection of plates in front of Brent are all his, Jeff and mine are cleared away....

John

Comment

Working...
                              X