Short Ride with jetmech

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Short Ride with jetmech

Met up this AM with jetmechmarty for a short ride today in the mountains of North Georgia. Sunny and hot but humidity was not too bad -and- the mountain roads are always great. Today was momentous because this was the first real ride on my project 11E. You can see there is still a lot of cosmetic type of work to do, but after "running the heck" out of this 11E for 225 miles today I can no longer call it a project bike. It just runs and shifts and starts and carves up twisty curves like any fine machine. Hot starts no problem and don't even get any backfire or pop on decel down a mountain. After fill-up ran 144 miles and it took 3.9 gal for almost 37mpg. 37 even with 6,000 rpm run up part of the way on grooved concrete on the freeway ain't bad. Traxxion Dynamics setup on the forks is A+ with results way beyond my expectations for a 34 year old bike. (In fact, passed a few Hardly (moving) $25K+ plus bikes and gave a friendly wave with my right hand as I decelerated by them. Stupid I know, but I always think that is funny!

Jetmech has his bike dialed in really well. Looks great and runs great. His recent maintenance efforts should yield many miles of happy motoring. As for the 11E, it now Runs, but still got work on the side covers, luggage, fairing, seat. You will note the Duc Tape, Custom Georgia DOT approved Mesh Chicken Wire sealed beam retainer, Dangling overflows etc.

BS n' Rest Stop in Dawsonville

Nice Bikes, and the gas pumps ain't half bad either

Rest Stop at Lake Burton on GA197 which is a great twisty road. -and- Yes I do have the T.C. Fuse Box I need to install ......

What a transformation from this unsafe mess of Neglect, Repair attempts & Rusted parts:

Jeff
    78' XS1100 E
    78' XS1100 E
    78' XS1100 E

'73 Norton 850 Commando
    '99 Triumph Sprint ST
    '02 G-Wing GL1800

OK, I thought my forks with RaceTech emulators and Traxxion Dynamics springs were the berries. Jeff's E was set up by Traxxion and it's a better ride than mine. I'm impressed with the set-up. It has the same springs and emulators, but their know how makes a difference.

I thought my bike was running pretty well. I should just leave it with Jeff. His 1100E is running as strong and smooth as can be. It's certainly in better tune than mine. I guess my carbs will be coming off again.

That forlorn bike that came from out of the frozen mud in Kentucky has a new lease on life. Jeff has brought it back in a big way.

This morning was a great ride, and I'm anxious to get out and do it again!
    Marty (in Mississippi)
    XS1100SG
    XS650SK
    XS650SH
    XS650G
    XS6502F
    XS650E

Comment

Originally posted by JeffH View Post
      Jeff, nice job, glad you got her running. Question, why are the fork dust boots slid up from the fork lowers?
      2H7 (79)
      3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

Originally posted by bikerphil View Post
        Jeff, nice job, glad you got her running. Question, why are the fork dust boots slid up from the fork lowers?
        S P E E D .......
        they rode up!

Actually, I've learned you guys are always extremely observant, but in this case that thing really sticks out. Answer, waiting for the TKAT. Didn't want to stretch them twice and have a goof-up hole or tear. -and again thanks ....

Stuck pilot jet in #2 came out pretty simple after two days of PB protocol. LH drill didn't snag it (jet) but the small extractor caught the reverse drill shards and jet unscrewed out with no damage.

After XS North I have to get rolling on the rest of the to do list, but at least now I can be riding it whenever I want. So far police haven't snagged me on no front turn signals and the goofy temp sealed beam setup. I hope I don't have a lot of hassles getting the Pacifico assembled back on the bike. Wild card is the electrics when I hook up the harness.

Jeff
        78' XS1100 E
        78' XS1100 E
        78' XS1100 E

'73 Norton 850 Commando
        '99 Triumph Sprint ST
        '02 G-Wing GL1800

Comment

Fantastic job on resurrecting the old gal Jeff...really nice to see. I wish I could tear down my XJ and redo the suspension and electricals but i dont have the $ or the know how to do it without alot of help...its depressing to see Max just sitting in the shed... not ridden but maybe 10-15 miles this year...currently isnt legal(lic,reg and ins) so that dont help. Wont be 'til fall before its legal again.
          1980 XS650G Special-Two
          1993 Honda ST1100

Comment

Ben,

I did my forks myself. Jeff took his to Traxxion Dynamics. I think his may be a little better than mine and he may have spent a little less than I did. He certainly had less aggravation trying to sort it out. I sourced my parts from both RaceTech and Traxxion.
            Marty (in Mississippi)
            XS1100SG
            XS650SK
            XS650SH
            XS650G
            XS6502F
            XS650E

Comment

yes Marty I am well aware of Traxxion but even more acutely aware of my thin wallet
              1980 XS650G Special-Two
              1993 Honda ST1100

Comment

Originally posted by madmax-im View Post
                yes Marty I am well aware of Traxxion but even more acutely aware of my thin wallet
                Our present administration says we're "doing fine" Ben. Don't you believe.

Click your heels together 3 times.
                Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

Working...
                X