You northerners....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• You northerners....

... should feel sorry for me. Weather here for the next few days is scheduled to be in the 70's. I came down with a TERRIBLE bout of sickness. I couldn't concentrate on anything, and couldn't even make it in to work. I had a come down with an aweful case of spring fever in February. I decided that for my own health and well-being, the beach and ocean would be the only cure for me. I had never been to the South Padre Islands in sothern Texas, so it seemed as good a direction as any, 700 miles south of me.

Any time I stopped, with the liner in my mesh jacket, I was uncomfortably warm. My bike is getting quite a bit better mileage, which means I had to sit and ride much longer between fuel stops. And, to top it all off, my nose got sun burnt!

I got a late start and didn't hit the Texas line until close to 1pm, which was only 100 miles into the trip. With all my sidetracking and GPS screw ups sending me the wrong direction in construction sites, I went a tad over 700 miles, but am still 140 miles short of S. Padre. My first sidetrack was to visit a friend. You all may remember him as Montreaux Blue.

Anyway... I'll soldier on through this sickness and horrible warmness and get to the beach today. Thank you in advance for all your kind words, pity, and condolences for my poor state of health.
    Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
    '06 Suzuki DR650
    *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
    '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
    '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
    '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
    '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
    '81 XS1100 Special
    '81 YZ250
    '80 XS850 Special
    '80 XR100
    *Crashed/Totalled, still own

bite me Tod. That's as strong as I can get on here.
    "If A equals success, then the formula is: A = X + Y + Z. X is work. Y is play. Z is keep your mouth shut." - Albert Einstein

"Illegitimi non carborundum"-Joseph W. "Vinegar Joe" Stilwell

1980 LG
    1981 LH

Comment

... says the guy who lives on the coast.

I forgot to say, that I'm getting better mileage because of the Dynojet kit. I was only getting 29-30 mpg before, and even riding into a headwind yesterday, I averaged @ 35. Didn't seem to matter if I was cruising at 65 or 80-85... same thing. Hoping it gets even better without a wind and having to push this monstrous Windjammer through it.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
      '06 Suzuki DR650
      '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
      '81 XS1100 Special
      '81 YZ250
      '80 XS850 Special
      '80 XR100

Comment

South Padre

Once you get there you'll never want to leave.

South Padre, Brownsville, etc has the best climate in the world!

If i could get my wife to go I'd move there & never leave.

The worst part is all the $1 margaritas at happy hour. Hard to leave.

No place in the US has better weather, year round.
        Tom Clisham

Age is relative YOU WON"T GET OLD TIL YOU SELL THE BIKE

'78xs1100E ,all stock & original GONE TO WISCONSIN

'80 SG Vetter fairing,hard bags,trunk,fork brace,
        stock headers with fishtail mufflers,black & beautiful GONE TO ARIZONA

79SF lowered,jardine 4/2 exhaust,pod filters,drilled rotors,fork brace, bar hopper

79SF 1 owner,8000 miles, restoring to completely original ( I hope) GONE TO FRANCE

Comment

Hmmmm... I'll be there in a couple hours. Hopefully happy hour is from @ 1pm until midnight!

Think they'd get mad at some Okie passed out on the beach? lol

Current bikes:
          '06 Suzuki DR650
          '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
          '81 XS1100 Special
          '81 YZ250
          '80 XS850 Special
          '80 XR100

Comment

Oh crap! Tod and another happy hour. I hope you brought some extra turn signals.
            Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

Originally posted by trbig View Post
              Think they'd get mad at some Okie passed out on the beach? lol
              I'm sure the nice men with the uniforms and handcuffs will be glad to give you a place to sleep for the night. They're hospitable that way.
              lol
              81 SH Something Special
              81 frame, 80 tank and side covers, 79 tail light and carbs, 78 engine, 750 final drive mod, Geezer rec/reg, 140 mains, LH wheels

79 SF MEAUQABEAUXS
              81SH Nor'eas tah (Old Red)
              80 LG Black Magic
              78 E Standard Practice

James 3:17

If I can make at least one person smile, or pee their pants a little, or maybe spit out their drink; then my day is not wasted.

“Alis Volat Propriis”

Yamaha XS 1100 Classic
              For those on FB

Comment

Originally posted by trbig View Post
                ... should feel sorry for me. Weather here for the next few days is scheduled to be in the 70's...
                Yeah, rub it in....

It was funny, I stopped at a store last night and a woman in line next to me was complaining about how cold it was here (Washington state) compared to where she was from... which was Minnesota! But it's our constant humidity we have, not the 'dry' cold she's used to. But we also don't get the super-high humidity or temps in the summer like you guys back east get, so I guess it all works out....
                Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
                '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
                '82 XJ rebuild project
                '80SG restified, red SOLD
                '79F parts...
                '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
                '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
                '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
                '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
                Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
                Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

I feel real sorry for y Todd. I was stationed there during hurricane Ceilia. 180 MPH winds. Other than that, the place is great. I had not seen a yacht up on Main street until then. Don't go down to boy's town now though.
                  1980 XS1100LG Midnight
                  1991 Honda CBR1000F Hurricane

"The hand is almost valueless at one end of the arm if there be not a brain at the other"

Here's to a long life and a happy one.
                  A quick death and an easy one.
                  A pretty girl and an honest one.
                  A cold beer and another one!

Comment

Originally posted by XS1100 Newbie View Post
                    Don't go down to boy's town now though.
                    Now you won't be able to keep him away.
                    Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

Tod,

Thanks for the reminder of Jeremy and sharing that photo with us. That's a very nice stone. After reading your post I went to re-read some of Jeremy's posts and discovered that his membership is gone. Too bad.
                      Former owner, but I have NO PARTS LEFT!

Comment

Nice ride Tod...and good stop to see Jeremy's headstone....I'd venture a guess that your riding the Limie Accent? Pics pls we need pics...and its 78 here in Raleigh today...
                        1980 XS650G Special-Two
                        1993 Honda ST1100

Comment

Limey isn't ready to ride yet.
                          Greg

― Albert Einstein

The list changes.

Comment

Gee thanks, it's 1 deg D here in the frozen North (Calgary, Alberta, Canada). We thinks its nice because it is above the seasonal average. The next couple of days are supposed to get colder (down to -18 deg C by Monday night.) While you are enjoying the warm weather and drinking medicinal potions for you sickness have a thought for us poor folks shivering in our igloos.

Comment

As Greg said, Limie isn't ready. It's got really old tubed tires on it and I'm wanting to go tubeless with it. Jeremy rode that bike on a couple trips and from Kansas to Texas with those tires. I bet they're every bit of 20 years old. I've ridden it around town a bit to keep some fuel through the carbs and oil splashed around, and it's like trying to stop, go, and turn on bricks.

I was going to upload a pic of the XJ by the S.Padre sign, but have to download a newer version of Adobe today to upload to Photobucket. Didn't need it yesterday?

Got the low down on a good section of beach and $1 margaritas.. so will report in later. It's 80 degress and the sun just came out.. It's miserable here. You guys would all just HATE it, I'm sure.

Current bikes:
                              '06 Suzuki DR650
                              '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
                              '81 XS1100 Special
                              '81 YZ250
                              '80 XS850 Special
                              '80 XR100