Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LS2 Helmet - What a piece of junk!

XS11 Friends,

My helmet, an HJC modular is about 6-years old and that's pretty much the recommended limit before a replacement is due.

A few weeks ago I went to the dealer and purchased an LS2 helmet. I prefer the modular style and this helmet seemed to have it all for a very reasonable price (on sale for about $150, normally about $175?). Built-in retractable sun visor, chin cover, BRIGHT yellow for visibility, and the new style bayonet retaining strap.

Unfortunately, at the dealer you try it on, it feels nice and firm (unlike my old HJC) and it seems like a great deal. Wasn't on the bike so took a couple days before the first ride.
    • OMG this thing is so loud inside at anything above 30MPH it's like they TRIED to make this thing noisy. Heck, it might have been quieter with one of those 1/2 moon jobs!
    • The button to open the modular is IMPOSSSIBLE to open with the chin panel installed so I pulled that the heck off just to open the darn thing. The button also sticks bad.
    • The modular "Locks" like poo and ya have to grab both sides to get it to snap shut and lock.
    • The bayonet fitting looks cool but is very uncomfortable and just try to find that tiny release pull with your driving gloves on!
    • A close examination of the modular chin piece shows absolutely the cheapest design and fabrication I've seen (didn't look that close at the dealer).

There is $150 out the window! I'll never wear it again!

Gonna save my pennies and get a high-quality Bell or Shoei.

Ya get what ya pay for... saved some $$$ and got garbage.

In my STRONG personal opinion, avoid LS2 Modular Helmets.... Complete trash.

Sincerely,
    Kurt Boehringer
    Peachtree City, Georgia

1970 - CT70K0 - Mini-Trail
    1978 - SR500 - Thumper
    1979 - CT70H - Mini-Trail
    1979 - XS1100SF - Pensacola
    1980 - XS850SG - Rocky
    1980 - XS1100SG - The Ugly Duck
    1980 - XS1100SG - Mayberry Duck
    1981 - XS1100SH - DEAD Duck Cafe'
    1981 - XJ550 Maxim - Nancy's Mini-Max
    1982 - XJ650 SECA - Hurricane
    1986 - FJ1200 - Georgia Big Red
    1992 - FZR1000 - Genesis
    2016 - FJR1300A - Montgomery

I've never convinced myself to go modular. I just wear the open face, sometimes. I have an Arai head. I need a new one.(helmet, not head) Nothing else comes close. I can't buy one for $150, or even twice that.
    Marty (in Mississippi)
    XS1100SG
    XS650SK
    XS650SH
    XS650G
    XS6502F
    XS650E

Comment

Originally posted by kboehringer View Post
      XS11 Friends,

My helmet, an HJC modular is about 6-years old and that's pretty much the recommended limit before a replacement is due.

A few weeks ago I went to the dealer and purchased an LS2 helmet. I prefer the modular style and this helmet seemed to have it all for a very reasonable price (on sale for about $150, normally about $175?). Built-in retractable sun visor, chin cover, BRIGHT yellow for visibility, and the new style bayonet retaining strap.

Unfortunately, at the dealer you try it on, it feels nice and firm (unlike my old HJC) and it seems like a great deal. Wasn't on the bike so took a couple days before the first ride.
      • OMG this thing is so loud inside at anything above 30MPH it's like they TRIED to make this thing noisy. Heck, it might have been quieter with one of those 1/2 moon jobs!
      • The button to open the modular is IMPOSSSIBLE to open with the chin panel installed so I pulled that the heck off just to open the darn thing. The button also sticks bad.
      • The modular "Locks" like poo and ya have to grab both sides to get it to snap shut and lock.
      • The bayonet fitting looks cool but is very uncomfortable and just try to find that tiny release pull with your driving gloves on!
      • A close examination of the modular chin piece shows absolutely the cheapest design and fabrication I've seen (didn't look that close at the dealer).

There is $150 out the window! I'll never wear it again!

Gonna save my pennies and get a high-quality Bell or Shoei.

Ya get what ya pay for... saved some $$$ and got garbage.

In my STRONG personal opinion, avoid LS2 Modular Helmets.... Complete trash.

Sincerely,
      Kurt, if it's of any help, many, many folks on the Honda ST site make the modular Shoei their choice, for fit, buffeting noise reduction, and functionbility of external components, face shield, chin strap, etc.
      Hope that may be of help for ya'.
      81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

Originally posted by motoman View Post
        Kurt, if it's of any help, many, many folks on the Honda ST site make the modular Shoei their choice, for fit, buffeting noise reduction, and functionbility of external components, face shield, chin strap, etc.
        Hope that may be of help for ya'.
        Kurt, if you decide to go non-modular full-face, I love my Bell Qualifier, and I never thought I'd like one. Not too pricey, visor has transitions which I also didn't think I'd like and love it. Seems not too noisy, and is easy to add a Sena radio system, which I haven't done but might.
        Steve R

'80 SG
        "Fred" -- TC fuse box, stock airbox/exhaust/jets, SS brake lines, Windjammer V fairing, Cibie headlight lens, TKAT fork brace, Showa rear shocks, MikesXS emulators

Former bikes:

1973 Yamaha 125 Enduro (brother's but I 'borrowed' it a lot, usually after midnight)
        1978 XS400E Red
        1981 XS850 Special (Stingo)

Comment

My new one is a modular, HJC RPHD MAX. I really like it
          "If A equals success, then the formula is: A = X + Y + Z. X is work. Y is play. Z is keep your mouth shut." - Albert Einstein

"Illegitimi non carborundum"-Joseph W. "Vinegar Joe" Stilwell

1980 LG
          1981 LH

Comment

Kurt...Shoei Neo-Tec is their modular helmet...but it aint cheap..I was wearing my 9 year old HJC SyMax2 modular when i had my wreck last year,,, I have 2 other Shoeis that are now too old to wear so i bought a new Shoei RF1200..its not modular but it is light and very well ventilated and relatively quiet...
            Shoei's arent cheap but they are a good invetment in protecting your noggin...I love mine..got it on sale from Dennis Kirk...
            Last edited by madmax-im; 03-15-2018, 04:46 PM.
            1980 XS650G Special-Two
            1993 Honda ST1100

Comment

Have 3 helmets, HJC (mostly for ATV use) G-Max, and Shoei. Like the Shoei the best (best fit and comfort) but the G-Max flows the most air and is the coolest in summer heat. Noise (G-max is noisy) not really a problem as I started wearing ear plugs several years ago. These are not modular units, all are conventional full-face units. Have not tried the modular yet but would look at the Shoei based on past experience with them.
              Jerry Fields
              '82 XJ 'Sojourn'
              '06 Concours
              My Galleries Page.
              My Blog Page.
              "... life is just a honky-tonk show." Cherry Poppin' Daddy Strut

Comment

dpotter58 My new one is a modular, HJC RPHD MAX. I really like it
                +1
                I use the same helmet. Mine is about three years old now, and has about 35K miles on it. It has a few small problems but no show stoppers. It fits me well, and I have an S10 communications system in it, minus the microphone.
                Ray Matteis
                KE6NHG
                XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
                XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

Shoei is next.

Originally posted by madmax-im View Post
                  Kurt...Shoei Neo-Tec is their modular helmet...but it aint cheap..
                  That's the helmet I'll buy again soon. I've had Shoei Helmets in the past but hadn't been too interested in paying the $$$$. Now that my miles are increasing significantly on 2-wheels (thanks to the FJR1300) I need a better helmet. Only a momentary "Brain Fart" had me buy this cheap P.O.S. LS2.

The helmet I am currently still using is an HJC Modular and it's several times better than the LS2 (even being 6+ years old). I have the Cardo communication system installed in it and I'm very happy with the Cardo.

I've be getting the Shoei soon.... Planning lots of 2-wheel miles this summer!
                  Kurt Boehringer
                  Peachtree City, Georgia

1970 - CT70K0 - Mini-Trail
                  1978 - SR500 - Thumper
                  1979 - CT70H - Mini-Trail
                  1979 - XS1100SF - Pensacola
                  1980 - XS850SG - Rocky
                  1980 - XS1100SG - The Ugly Duck
                  1980 - XS1100SG - Mayberry Duck
                  1981 - XS1100SH - DEAD Duck Cafe'
                  1981 - XJ550 Maxim - Nancy's Mini-Max
                  1982 - XJ650 SECA - Hurricane
                  1986 - FJ1200 - Georgia Big Red
                  1992 - FZR1000 - Genesis
                  2016 - FJR1300A - Montgomery

Comment

Originally posted by kboehringer View Post
                    That's the helmet I'll buy again soon. I've had Shoei Helmets in the past but hadn't been too interested in paying the $$$$. Now that my miles are increasing significantly on 2-wheels (thanks to the FJR1300) I need a better helmet. Only a momentary "Brain Fart" had me buy this cheap P.O.S. LS2.

The helmet I am currently still using is an HJC Modular and it's several times better than the LS2 (even being 6+ years old). I have the Cardo communication system installed in it and I'm very happy with the Cardo.

I've be getting the Shoei soon.... Planning lots of 2-wheel miles this summer!
                    Awesome
                    1980 XS650G Special-Two
                    1993 Honda ST1100

Comment

Excellent choice Kurt.
                      81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

I bought a new LS2 helmet. 2023 model. I have a long oval head, so getting a good fit is a PITA. I have few options here in Memphis. There's a Cycle Gear. With stocking issues, I can't try anything on. LS2 helmet supposedly has a long oval fit. $150 on Amazon. I can take that gamble. I've been wearing it since September. Twice, I did a 10 hour ride. Bargain. No headache. It fits. The only complaint I have is that I like sitting up straight. It's very loud that way. I cannot forget the ear plugs. The model I bought is LS2 Helmets Full Face Stream Street Helmet

Amazon.com: LS2 Helmets Full Face Stream Evo Street Helmet (White - X-Large) : LS2 Helmets: Automotive
                        Marty (in Mississippi)
                        XS1100SG
                        XS650SK
                        XS650SH
                        XS650G
                        XS6502F
                        XS650E

Comment

I have been riding with modular helmets for almost 30 years in all types of weather. Almost 300,000 miles all over the US, Alaska, Canada, and Mexico. I love my HJC! So does my wife. (non-LS2 BTW)

Click image for larger version  Name:	DSCN9875.JPG Views:	0 Size:	145.8 KB ID:	877431 Click image for larger version  Name:	DSCN9896.JPG Views:	0 Size:	139.2 KB ID:	877432 Click image for larger version  Name:	DSCN3748.JPG Views:	0 Size:	142.1 KB ID:	877433 Click image for larger version  Name:	985270.jpg Views:	0 Size:	201.8 KB ID:	877434 Click image for larger version  Name:	DSCN9683.JPG Views:	0 Size:	129.0 KB ID:	877435
                          Last edited by DEEBS11; 01-21-2024, 02:54 AM.

Comment

Ah! HJC is more for round head. I can't wear them. I can't wear Bell either. Handsome couple!
                            Marty (in Mississippi)
                            XS1100SG
                            XS650SK
                            XS650SH
                            XS650G
                            XS6502F
                            XS650E

Comment

Working...
                            X