SS Brake Lines Inexpensive

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SS Brake Lines Inexpensive

I just received and installed some SS brake lines from this vendor on Ebay. They seem to be excellent quality and are exactly the way I ordered them and fit perfectly. I ordered them on a Friday and they arrived Monday morning. They are custom made, cost $30 each, any length, with free shipping. Ordering was very simple, just pay for them with Paypal and contact the seller with your dimensions. I was very impressed with this guy and I recommend him for an inexpensive SS brake line upgrade.

His Ebay store name is chevotalancruiser....

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Steel-Braide...item35c098990f
    2H7 (79)
    3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Yup if you provide all the info needed then for 30 bucks a line you get what you need. The vendor I worked with has all this info and the cost is similar. Make a mistake on your measurements (which I am sure you did right) and see how he re-acts. I hope this guy is on the level.
    I worked with the XJ guys for almost a year before every line was deemed to be correct. The coastguard (Ebay) lines were also pretty much what was needed but some of the lines just did not fit.
    Not knocking what you have found just wondering if they are indeed a true enough line for all who want them and how many models to they fit with no hassles?
    2-79 XS1100 SF
    2-78 XS1100 E Best bike Ever
    80 XS 1100 SG Big bore kit but not fully running yet.
    Couple of more parts bikes of which 2 more will live!

Comment

I only needed 2 lines, $60 to my door I thought was a deal. Spiegler wanted $125 for the same 2 lines, but they are probably a little nicer.
      2H7 (79)
      3H3

Comment

Would never say you were wrong to buy those...just wonder if you ever checked out the link I posted to see if they were available there and the price. I put a lot of effort into the sizing and clocking of these lines and just hope someone buys some and reports back.
        2-79 XS1100 SF

Comment

I checked the XJ bikes link, those must be higher quality lines at $55 a piece. I am king of the cheap, sorry I didn't have the flow for those. We do appreciate your efforts as always brother.
          2H7 (79)
          3H3

Comment

Not knocking you at all for buying those lines. Just wondered how they compared. I have never priced them out as I have a few extra lines now from our back and forth discussions. Matter of fact I have 6 sets of extra lines here, with only use for 2. Three sets of my extras are rubber replacement lines as per original. So anybody interested in original rubber lines can PM me and we will see what I can do.
            2-79 XS1100 SF

Comment

To Whom it may concern:

The following is a quote from the link in Rasputin's other post on the SS Brake Lines from XJ4REVER.com:

"NOTE: our lines are the ONLY fully DOT approved brake hoses on the market. Other suppliers of brake lines---including the well-known "brand name" producers of such lines---are using DOT-approved rubber or stainless steel HOSE---as all manufacturers are required to use---but the completed BRAKE LINE ASSEMBLY is not DOT-approved."

The ebay link, that bikerphil provided, has no info on the DOT approval.

Bottom line is, without getting into a big discussion, an insurance company can deny coverage for a claim upon the discovery of the use of aftermarket parts that aren't approved for highway use.
              1980 XS1100G "Dolly G" Full Dresser (with a coat of many colors )
              1979 XS1100SF (stock-euro mods planned)
              1984 XV700L Virago (to be hot-modded)
              1983 XJ750MK Midnight Maxim (semi-restored DD)
              1977 XS650D ( patiently awaiting resto)

Sometimes it takes a whole tank of gas before you can think straight.

Comment

Originally posted by Schming View Post
                To Whom it may concern:

The following is a quote from the link in Rasputin's other post on the SS Brake Lines from XJ4REVER.com:

"NOTE: our lines are the ONLY fully DOT approved brake hoses on the market. Other suppliers of brake lines---including the well-known "brand name" producers of such lines---are using DOT-approved rubber or stainless steel HOSE---as all manufacturers are required to use---but the completed BRAKE LINE ASSEMBLY is not DOT-approved."

The ebay link, that bikerphil provided, has no info on the DOT approval.

Bottom line is, without getting into a big discussion, an insurance company can deny coverage for a claim upon the discovery of the use of aftermarket parts that aren't approved for highway use.
                Well considering that the DOT does not approve or dis-approve of ANY aftermarket parts it is all a bunch of BS! I am not saying either of these sellers are good or bad, or honest or dishonest. I am just stating facts.

The DOT only certifies systems as a whole and processes. So the DOT states how they want parts are to be made and then they approve the entire brake system as a whole. That is all the DOT does. All a manufacturer has to do is follow the process that the DOT states to be the proper way to make the part and then they can say their part is DOT approved. If the manufacturer alters the process at all, either for the better or for the worse, it no longer complies.
                Nathan
                KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
                K&N Filter
                #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
                OEM Exhaust
                ATK Fork Brace
                LED Dash lights
                Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
                SS Brake Lines
                Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

Not that I know much about the subject other than what I have been told and learned on this site, but why then would so many people sell S/S brake lines under the "Off Road Use" only sticker?
                  I have a set of Galfer lines on one bike and a set from ebays Coastguard on another that both were marked with this warning. Maybe laws are different between states or countries and if they sell out of country is would require this warning? I for one do not know, but, there is a difference.
                  I doubt anyone would ever check my bikes even after an accident to see if the lines are DOT. In all honesty I think newer S/S lines are so far ahead of what I could be running ( 35 yr old rubber originals) that I do not care much.
                  I worked with the guys at XJ4Ever simply to make more lines available worldwide to anyone who needs them. If you find cheaper or like a brand name better then go for it.
                  2-79 XS1100 SF

Comment

Originally posted by Rasputin View Post
                    Not that I know much about the subject other than what I have been told and learned on this site, but why then would so many people sell S/S brake lines under the "Off Road Use" only sticker?
                    I have a set of Galfer lines on one bike and a set from ebays Coastguard on another that both were marked with this warning. Maybe laws are different between states or countries and if they sell out of country is would require this warning? I for one do not know, but, there is a difference.
                    I doubt anyone would ever check my bikes even after an accident to see if the lines are DOT. In all honesty I think newer S/S lines are so far ahead of what I could be running ( 35 yr old rubber originals) that I do not care much.
                    I worked with the guys at XJ4Ever simply to make more lines available worldwide to anyone who needs them. If you find cheaper or like a brand name better then go for it.
                    It is a manufacturer insurance liability thing.

"Well see, you were not supposed to use those on the road"
                    Last edited by natemoen; 01-09-2013, 07:40 PM.
                    Nathan
                    KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
                    K&N Filter
                    OEM Exhaust
                    ATK Fork Brace
                    LED Dash lights

Green Monster Coils
                    SS Brake Lines

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

Originally posted by natemoen View Post
                      It just releases the company from liability basically "Well see, you were not supposed to use those on the road"
                      So I guess my question to that is why would some companies open themselves to liability if they could do it the easy way as you are suggesting. Not trying to argue it just trying to understand it.
                      2-79 XS1100 SF

Comment

Originally posted by Rasputin View Post
                        So I guess my question to that is why would some companies open themselves to liability if they could do it the easy way as you are suggesting. Not trying to argue it just trying to understand it.
                        "I am better than all my competitors"

Or they can afford it.

Even Geezer mentioned when he was trying to make brake conversion parts for our bikes he said he could believe the amount of liability insurance he would have needed and just couldn't afford it. I think he said how much he would have needed but maybe not.
                        Nathan
                        KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
                        K&N Filter
                        OEM Exhaust
                        ATK Fork Brace
                        LED Dash lights

Green Monster Coils
                        SS Brake Lines

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

So Confidence in the product would not enter into it at all, just how cheap ass they are.
                          I would think if a company was able to make these claims they are established enough that their product is really good, or the company owners are all idiots that stand to lose their shirts when the fecal matter hits the rotating wind device. Sounds like there is something we are not yet knowing.
                          2-79 XS1100 SF

Comment

Cost would be the primary factor I think for most except the large companies.

Either way, this whole conversation is not really appropriate in a product review thread. If it isn't a review of the product, then it doesn't really belong. Over to the ML if it needs to continue.
                            Nathan
                            KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
                            K&N Filter
                            OEM Exhaust
                            ATK Fork Brace
                            LED Dash lights

Green Monster Coils
                            SS Brake Lines

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

Think of it like a UL listing. UL approves a certain exact method of assemblies. You must use the exact component, and assemble it exactly the same way to put a UL Label on it. Any variance in components or assembly method and it is not UL Listed anymore.

Now I can tell you from experience that if you have an accident with SS brake lines on your bike, that no one is going to be looking at your brake lines. Should a brake line failure be the cause of the accident, then this might come into play.
                              Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
                              80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
                              93 GSX600F
                              80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
                              81 XS1100 Special
                              81 CB750 C
                              80 CB750 C
                              78 XS750

Comment

Working...
                              X