Helmet

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Helmet

I went to the bike shop yesterday with Mrs Snippets. The intention was to purchase a new helmet for her.
    Open face 3/4 helmet, size XS, or one size smaller than small.
    Not much to look at or consider. A Bell in the correct size but made of plastic.
    A good Shoie in fiberglass, wrong size high price.
    The helmet will have to have a Snell approval, my suggested price around $200-, any suggestions and or reviews.

Uncle Crusty

Lots of options out there, especially if you drop the Snell requirement. You'll get a better helmet for a cheaper price if you do anyway. No reason to pay over $200 for a helmet IMO.

Some reading on the subject.
    1980 XS850SG - Sold
    1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
    Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
    Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
    -H. Ford

Comment

Ahhhh I was hoping someone would post that link.
      Nathan
      KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
      K&N Filter
      #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
      OEM Exhaust
      ATK Fork Brace
      LED Dash lights
      Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
      SS Brake Lines
      Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

http://tinyurl.com/23l5mfn
        http://tinyurl.com/29c7q7s

any newer info than 5 years ago?
        Seamus Ó hUrmholtaigh
        Niimi Moozhwaagan

NOTICE: No trees were destroyed in the sending of this message. We do concede, however, that a significant number of electrons may have been inconvenienced.

Any connection between your reality and mine is purely coincidental.

Member of "FOXS-11" (Former Owner of XS-11)
        and SOXS
        2008 Nomad "Deja Buick'

Comment

http://tinyurl.com/23l5mfn
          http://tinyurl.com/29c7q7s

any newer info than 5 years ago?
          I have a Shoei and an HJC
          Seamus Ó hUrmholtaigh
          Niimi Moozhwaagan

NOTICE: No trees were destroyed in the sending of this message. We do concede, however, that a significant number of electrons may have been inconvenienced.

and SOXS
          2008 Nomad "Deja Buick'

Comment

Yeah, when I read the stuff on the standards for helmets, it validated my distaste for the really high priced stuff. I don't think there are any really newer studies, the facts have not changed significantly, which is the only reason for a new study. Snell VS DOT is still the same, with SNELL still not taking head sized etc into account, which means especially for those with really small heads (S and XS) they are way too hard, although those with big heads (like me and jack in the box) it's probably closer to right.
            Cy

1980 XS1100G (Brutus) w/81H Engine
            Duplicolor Mirage Paint Job (Purple/Green)
            Vetter Windjammer IV
            Vetter hard bags & Trunk
            OEM Luggage Rack
            Jardine Spaghetti 4-2 exhaust system
            Spade Fuse Box
            Turn Signal Auto Cancel Mod
            750 FD Mod
            TC Spin on Oil Filter Adapter (temp removed)
            XJ1100 Front Footpegs
            XJ1100 Shocks

I was always taught to respect my elders, but it keeps getting harder to find one.

Comment

my short Shoei is more comfortable than my short HJC and a size smaller, my full face HJC CL16 (snell) is way more comfortable than an ARAI quantum 2 ( same snell rating) at about 1/6 of the cost 120 vs 700 my shoei full face which I pitched cause it was old and ugly was slightly more comfortable than the HJC but a bit heavier also more than 1/2 way in price between the CL16 and the Arai try a bunch on see what you like
              Seamus Ó hUrmholtaigh
              Niimi Moozhwaagan

and SOXS
              2008 Nomad "Deja Buick'

Comment

Helmets

Thanks for the input so far.
                Many years ago during one of my get offs at the track, I entered the jungle area airborn at about 90mph. I ripped the heal off one boot and my head hit a rock which split my Bell helmet next to my temple area. I was out for about 3/4 of an hour, had some memory loss for a while, but returned to a semblance of normal (for me).
                At the store where I worked a plastic helmet fell off the counter and shattered when it hit the floor.
                I used to be the rider safety inspector at Westwood BC.
                I am biased, I do believe in the Snell approval.
                I have also tested helmets from many crashes during cross coutry races.
                Mrs Snippets head will be inside the new helmet. I believe she is worth a few extra $$$ for something safe, but not for frills like vents that do not work.

Crusty

Comment

Hi Crusty,
                  I have been happy with the three HJC helmets i have owned. 2 of them were Snell approved. I too prefer a 3/4 helmet. Years ago Bell were highly regarded however they do not seem as well respected to day. Again just an opinion. There have been many advances in plastics and composites including fibreglass. You should be able to find a suitable comfortable helmet within the $200 range.
                  Phil
                  1981 XS1100 H Venturer ( Addie)
                  1983 XJ 650 Maxim
                  2004 Kawasaki Concours. ( Black Bear)

Comment

Helmet

Originally posted by MaximPhil View Post
                    Hi Crusty,
                    I have been happy with the three HJC helmets i have owned. 2 of them were Snell approved. I too prefer a 3/4 helmet. Years ago Bell were highly regarded however they do not seem as well respected to day. Again just an opinion. There have been many advances in plastics and composites including fibreglass. You should be able to find a suitable comfortable helmet within the $200 range.
                    Phil

Thanks for the input. It may have been a Shoie I was wearing when I crashed but it was a 3/4 helmet. I also used a full face helmet and simply switched between races when I changed bikes.
                    My chin has never hit the ground. The 3/4 helmet will work fine behind the fairing on Yami, but at the moment I am using one of my three full face helmets. It is also a bit warmer during the cold months.
                    But first Mrs Snippets needs a better helmet. I will do more shopping when I get time.

Crusty

Comment

Hi Crusty,
                      Here in the Toronto area we have two bike shows the first was last week. It is great for seeing the latest product offerings from manufacturers.
                      The January show is a great place to pick up last years colour / style at deeply discounted prices. hope you have similar shows are your end of the country.
                      Phil
                      1981 XS1100 H Venturer ( Addie)
                      1983 XJ 650 Maxim
                      2004 Kawasaki Concours. ( Black Bear)

Comment

Had A Shoei for years. Wife/kids gave me gift cert to the Local Yamaha dealer to get a new one. He had HJC and Bells. Bell was pretty expensive but I surprised to find a full face HJC that was both Snell and DOT approved. Was under $150. Fit alot better than the Shoei I had paid twice as much for years ago. I will just assume the Snell rating will work. Don't really want to find out.
                        When a 10 isn't enough, get a 11. 80g Hardbagger

Comment

Working...
                        X