Winjammer V lowers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by CatatonicBug View Post
    I have the tall windshield too, and the only complaint I have is in the rain, the water that does not blow off the windshield tends to stick to it and roll over the top, running down the back side. This tends to mess with visibility a bit. However, I managed quite nicely in a 300-mile deluge this last Spring, so it's not horrible.
    Put some weatherstripping or something of the sort across the top edge to push the water to the right or the left edge, then at least it wouldnt run down the center of the back side.
    Nathan
    KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
    K&N Filter
    #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
    OEM Exhaust
    ATK Fork Brace
    LED Dash lights
    Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
    SS Brake Lines
    Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

Originally posted by natemoen View Post
      Put some weatherstripping or something of the sort across the top edge to push the water to the right or the left edge, then at least it wouldnt run down the center of the back side.
      But then the weatherstripping would block visibility all the time. I have seen clear lips that can be added to the top, but I've never fould out where to get one.
      1980 XS850SG - Sold
      1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
      Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
      Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
      -H. Ford

Comment

I guess that is true. Hmmm all I am thinking of at the moment is the clear plastic drywall edging, but that would be hard to attach. I will have to think about this and see if I can think of an everyday product that would work for this.
        Nathan
        KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
        K&N Filter
        #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
        OEM Exhaust
        ATK Fork Brace
        LED Dash lights
        Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
        SS Brake Lines
        Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

Look for #2 Vetter lowers

Originally posted by slow mo View Post
          please tell me exactly what lowers you have ,,thanks and ride safe ,,slow mo!
          There a few Vetter lowers that are model specific - GLs - BMWs etc but most will cross to several bikes. The #2 lowers are for the XS11 and some CB 750s and some others. They showup on ebay from time to time. Damaged ones can be repaired and the modified may be reverted with kits from craigvetter.com
          If I remember, the lowers will fit all Windjammers. The very early fairings required drilling to fit the lowers. I found a set of unmodified #2s that fit my 'Jammer III and stock 79SF. The only mod I made was to cement a small block of dense black foam cut from a work station mat between the trailing edage of the lower and the air box. I also stuck a squair of photo embossing film on the air box as an extra precatuion. Looks good, works great.
          I am blessed with super winter riding, 60s in the day but will plumit to freezing at night. The rainy season is short so the weatherman doesn't have alot of 'spla'n to do. I have yet to ride in the blast furnace summer with them yet so we will see. Are they worth it? IMHO, YES!!!
          1979 XS 1100 Special - Nicknamed "MONSTER"

ATC fuse box
          Braded stainless brake lines
          4/2 aftermarket exhaust(temp until stock is re-chromed )
          V-Max auto cam chain adjuster
          Brake light modulator with reserve brake light bypass
          Vetter Windjammer III faring
          Tkat Fork Brace

"Americans have the right and advantage of being armed; unlike the citizens of the countries whose governments are afraid to trust the people with arms”
          James Madison, The Federalists Papers

Comment

Alright you guys have finally conviced me to put my lowers on my 80G.
            I've had a set sitting around for years and I never got around to putting them on.
            Sure my legs (Below the knees) get a little cool, but for my short 30mile ride to work I don't mind. (and that's only for a few months in the winter)

Plus, being a WJ 2, I'll have to drill some holes and get some small bolts.
            Hi, my name is George & I'm a twisty addict!

80G (Green paint(PO idea))
            The Green Monster
            K&N A/F, TC's fuse block, '81 oil cooler, TC's homemade 4-2 w/Mac Mufflers, Raptor 660 ACCT
            Got him in '04.
            bald tire & borrowing parts

80SG (Black w/red emblems & calipers)
            Scarlet
            K&N A/F, TC's fuse block, WJ5, Shoei bags, Raptor 660 ACCT.
            Got her in '11
            Ready for the twisties!

81H (previously CPMaynard's)
            Hugo
            Full Venturer, Indigo Blue with B/W painted tank.
            Cold weather ride

Comment

Originally posted by je2wheeler View Post
              If I remember, the lowers will fit all Windjammers.
              Actually, the Windjammer V takes it's own particular set of lowers. The other models DO swap around though. I take the lowers off in the summer, so I can get my feet onto the highway pegs. The lowers prevent that in the Winter time, but that's ok, since I don't do much touring when it's cold. The lowers DO make a huge difference with the wind chill though - definitely keeps the knees from turning to ice when the temps are below freezing.
              1980 XS850SG - Sold
              1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
              Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
              Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
              -H. Ford

Comment

But then the weatherstripping would block visibility all the time. I have seen clear lips that can be added to the top, but I've never fould out where to get one. /////////// LaminarLip.com CBug............work well and they DO make one for Vetter style windshields. If they don't show it, landline him.
                81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

[QUOTE=CatatonicBug;351939]Actually, the Windjammer V takes it's own particular set of lowers.

You are right and I should have reserched my info before I blundered - sorry to all
                  1979 XS 1100 Special - Nicknamed "MONSTER"

ATC fuse box
                  Braded stainless brake lines
                  4/2 aftermarket exhaust(temp until stock is re-chromed )
                  V-Max auto cam chain adjuster
                  Brake light modulator with reserve brake light bypass
                  Vetter Windjammer III faring
                  Tkat Fork Brace

"Americans have the right and advantage of being armed; unlike the citizens of the countries whose governments are afraid to trust the people with arms”
                  James Madison, The Federalists Papers

Comment

Windjammer V Lowers

I have a set of lowers for a Windjammer V that were on a 81 XS1100 if anyone is interested, send me a PM and check the classifieds for pictures
                    Current Rides:
                    02 GL1800 Wing
                    79 XS1100SF Sold 10-15-12
                    81 XS1100H Venturer Sold 10-27-12

Comment

Working...
                    X