Winjammer V lowers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Winjammer V lowers

Just wanted to say that the most useful addition I have made to the old girl is the addition of lowers to the Windjammer V fairing I now sport around behind. These are really useful and not some add on that does nothing but deplete your wallet. As a result of the way the windjammer and lowers work together I am still riding- with a 6 degree F showing on the bank sign this morning. Can't say enough about these lowers, they really lenghten my riding season.

hi codger

please tell me exactly what lowers you have ,,thanks and ride safe ,,slow mo!
    The Belfast Express {1980 xs11oo special/TC fuse box/mikes xs pods/bad boy horn!/mikes green coils/mac 4 into 2 exhaust/ standard bars/vetter fairing c/w ipod CD iphone am/fm radio/tkat fork brace ,,,tuned by tinman
    moemcnally@hotmail.com
    i AM THE KING OF NOTHING

the people here are great , doesn't matter about the bike really/hamjam ////

Comment

I like my Windjammer..but 6 degrees..wow,I can't do that anymore,maybe 40 years ago
      '80 XS1100 SG
      Don't let the good times pass you by..grab all you can
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x_Z4cjUlIo4

Comment

This is the factory Vetter Lowers...

I really like them in the cold and rain.
        '80 XS1100 SG

Comment

I put the lowers on my Windjammer back in September, I think. They stay on till the weather gets above 60ºF or so. It was 4ºF this morning, and I would have been riding except for the snow we got yesterday . Roads are all icy. Makes me wish I had a sidecar!
          1980 XS850SG - Sold
          1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
          Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
          Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
          -H. Ford

Comment

Originally posted by CatatonicBug View Post
            I put the lowers on my Windjammer back in September, I think. They stay on till the weather gets above 60ºF or so. It was 4ºF this morning, and I would have been riding except for the snow we got yesterday . Roads are all icy. Makes me wish I had a sidecar!
            Three years ago I put them on thinking it was going to be a cool or cold fall,
            took a three day trip and hit 90 degrees while riding Kinda got a little warm but there is no way I will ride without my Windjammer...don't wanna get caught nakid.
            '80 XS1100 SG

Comment

I have a Windjammer V on mine...man, I wish I could find lowers to fit it. The lowers for V's are like hen's teeth.

The only reason I'm not still riding mine is that it's 30 yards or so from the garage to the road. The roads are fine, since the salt trucks are running constantly...but the 3 feet or so of snow in between the garage and road are enough to deter me.

If it were to go down in the yard, it would have to lay there til spring...I'd never get enough traction to pick it up.
              http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1278/...01bfdb21_b.jpg
              1978 XS11 Standard -- For Sale or Trade
              4 into 1 (brand?)
              Special Tank (really sucks for size)
              Special Side covers
              Winjammer 5 fairing with Vetter Hard cases

1979 XS11 Special (has a new home elsewhere)

1982 Yamaha XV920J Virago - My new daily rider.
              National Cycle Plexi-3
              Saddleman double bucket seat
              custom paint

Comment

Ditto on the lowers. Makes winter riding much more bearable. Check Ebay. Lowers come ond go pretty often there.
                When a 10 isn't enough, get a 11. 80g Hardbagger

Comment

I've actually had trouble finding anything BUT Windjammer V lowers on ebay. I've been trying to fine a set for my IV.
                  Cy

1980 XS1100G (Brutus) w/81H Engine
                  Duplicolor Mirage Paint Job (Purple/Green)
                  Vetter Windjammer IV
                  Vetter hard bags & Trunk
                  OEM Luggage Rack
                  Jardine Spaghetti 4-2 exhaust system
                  Spade Fuse Box
                  Turn Signal Auto Cancel Mod
                  750 FD Mod
                  TC Spin on Oil Filter Adapter (temp removed)
                  XJ1100 Front Footpegs
                  XJ1100 Shocks

I was always taught to respect my elders, but it keeps getting harder to find one.

Comment

Just an FYI
                    http://www.craigvetter.com/pages/Vet...ings-main.html
                    '80 XS1100 SG

Comment

Originally posted by STEPPENWOLF View Post
                      I'm still waiting for Craig Vetter to start selling the weatherstripping for the luggage again. He told me last spring that it was made custom for Vetter back in the day, and he would have to research getting another batch made. He recently posted a page on the Hippo Hands, and I wrote to him again. He even posted my letter (most of it anyway) at the bottom of the page!
                      1980 XS850SG - Sold
                      Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
                      Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

-H. Ford

Comment

Originally posted by CatatonicBug View Post
                        I'm still waiting for Craig Vetter to start selling the weatherstripping for the luggage again. He told me last spring that it was made custom for Vetter back in the day, and he would have to research getting another batch made. He recently posted a page on the Hippo Hands, and I wrote to him again. He even posted my letter (most of it anyway) at the bottom of the page!
                        You are now big time Bug
                        '80 XS1100 SG

Comment

Got out riding today with the Windjammer and lowers in place,not dressed too well for riding,temps ran between 28 and 37 degrees,I have a thermometer mounted on the fairing and it did a decent job,couple of fingers got cold,face was a bit cold with a 3/4 helmet on,feet with just work shoes and two cheap pairs of Wally World socks on stayed warm but nothing to brag about.
                          Seems like the fairing preforms the best at speeds above 45mph,much better protection in the rain and cold..but I have a Special and the xtra tall windshield so that might make a difference..I look thru the shield and not over.
                          '80 XS1100 SG

Comment

Just add a pair of Hippo Hands to keep your fingers warm and wear some wool thermal socks, and you'll be set! I have the tall windshield too, and the only complaint I have is in the rain, the water that does not blow off the windshield tends to stick to it and roll over the top, running down the back side. This tends to mess with visibility a bit. However, I managed quite nicely in a 300-mile deluge this last Spring, so it's not horrible.
                            1980 XS850SG - Sold

-H. Ford

Comment

Well I did not plan on riding after work,just a spur of the moment thing
                              I was not dressed properly, Hippo Hands would be nice ,wish I had them years ago in august crossing the Rockies in Utah at 37 degrees in the rain
                              Great story now but shear heck while I was doing it.
                              The Windjammer was my best friend when I left Cincinnati on my way to Ogden UT to see a buddy and his wife one year.It is about a 1700 mile ride and I hit rain at Indanapolis and didn't get out of it till Denver or maybe farther,that thing made that trip soo much easier.
                              Just a couple of old pics from the road, not good quality but...

And sometimes the bike will take you to that perfect camping spot..
                              '80 XS1100 SG

Comment

Working...
                              X