No announcement yet.

Plexifairing windscreen

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can someone tell me what part # to order from JC Whitney? National Cycle says they don't make one to fit a '78 XS11 but Mike's looks like it fits good to me. TIA.

Tom
    1978 XS1100E
    1982 XJ650RJ Seca
    2001 Yamaha XT225
    2002 Suzuki DR650
    2008 Suzuki DL650 VStrom
    AMA charter life member

Comment

Originally posted by Tom Andersen View Post
      Can someone tell me what part # to order from JC Whitney? National Cycle says they don't make one to fit a '78 XS11 but Mike's looks like it fits good to me. TIA.

Tom
      That's strange... National Cycle only makes ONE version of the Plexifairing 3. It DOES fit the XS (all years). If mounting it to an XJ, they sell a kit for the square handlebars too.
      1980 XS850SG - Sold
      1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
      Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
      Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
      -H. Ford

Comment

Originally posted by CatatonicBug View Post
        That's strange... National Cycle only makes ONE version of the Plexifairing 3. It DOES fit the XS (all years). If mounting it to an XJ, they sell a kit for the square handlebars too.
        According to tech support at National Cycle they only make a Plexistar 2 for the XS1100 standard, they say the Plexifairing 3 only fits the XS1100 Special all years. They make many versions of the Plexifairing 3 to fit specific bikes, again according to their tech support.
        1978 XS1100E
        1982 XJ650RJ Seca
        2001 Yamaha XT225
        2002 Suzuki DR650
        2008 Suzuki DL650 VStrom
        AMA charter life member

Comment

According to tech support at National Cycle they only make a Plexistar 2 for the XS1100 standard, they say the Plexifairing 3 only fits the XS1100 Special all years. They make many versions of the Plexifairing 3 to fit specific bikes, again according to their tech support.
          I have seen both installed on both styles. In fact, I had a PlexistarII on my MNS for a while, and it was great. I see no reason why they would tell you it would not fit.
          1980 XS850SG - Sold
          Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
          Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

-H. Ford

Comment

I have seen both installed on both styles. In fact, I had a PlexistarII on my MNS for a while, and it was great. I see no reason why they would tell you it would not fit.
            I have no idea either, my guess is because of the turn signals on the fork legs, but I see there is not a problem on Mike's bike. I guess I'll just try the one listed for the Special since no one can tell what to order.
            1978 XS1100E
            1982 XJ650RJ Seca
            2001 Yamaha XT225
            2002 Suzuki DR650
            2008 Suzuki DL650 VStrom
            AMA charter life member

Comment

I have no idea either, my guess is because of the turn signals on the fork legs, but I see there is not a problem on Mike's bike. I guess I'll just try the one listed for the Special since no one can tell what to order.
              This windshield has been mounted on my 80G and my 79SF with no problems. Rode with it on the 79SF this spring 270mi to MOM. Coming back in the rain downpour for the first 50miles wasn't too bad either.

Pic of it mounted on the 79 Special(one on the left):

Pic of it mounted on the 80 Standard:
              Richard

Comment

Originally posted by rpgoerlich View Post
                This windshield has been mounted on my 80G and my 79SF with no problems. Rode with it on the 79SF this spring 270mi to MOM. Coming back in the rain downpour for the first 50miles wasn't too bad either.

Pic of it mounted on the 79 Special(one on the left):

Pic of it mounted on the 80 Standard:
                Richard isn't that a Plexistar 2? If not what part # is it?
                1978 XS1100E
                1982 XJ650RJ Seca
                2001 Yamaha XT225
                2002 Suzuki DR650
                2008 Suzuki DL650 VStrom
                AMA charter life member

Comment

That's correct, It's a Plexstar II. Same one CatatonicBug was talking about as I got it from him.
                  Richard

Comment

Drafting pressure issue

Don't know if any of you with full windshields have experienced this, but I feel a very intense pull forward toward the windshield at speeds over 45mph.
                    The net effect of this is pronounced fatigue on the palms of my hands, my wrists, and my shoulders. Mind you, I'm not one to complain about discomfort due to handlebar vibrations at any speed, or such inannities. But other experienced riders have ridden my bike and have noticed the same effect. The situation is acute enough that I'm purchasing aircraft snap-in vents to provide ventilation behind the shield and reduce the vacuum effect.
                    This is the windshield I'm using (removed it for summer riding).
                    [IMG][/IMG]
                    1980G Standard, Restored
                    Kerker 4 - 1
                    850 Rear End Mod
                    2-21 Flashing LED Arrays on either side of license plate for Brake Light Assist, 1100 Lumen Cree Aux Lights,
                    Progressive springs, Showa rear shocks
                    Automatic CCT
                    1980GH Special, Restored
                    Stock Exhaust, New Handlebars, 1" Spacer in Fork Springs, Automatic CCT, Showa Rear Shocks
                    '82 XJ1100 (Sold)
                    Automatic CCT, RC Engineering 4 X 1 Exhaust, K&N Pods, #50 Pilot Jets, YICS Eliminator. Sorely missed.

Comment

[QUOTE=Cobia;302747]Don't know if any of you with full windshields have experienced this, but I feel a very intense pull forward toward the windshield at speeds over 45mph.
                      The net effect of this is pronounced fatigue on the palms of my hands, my wrists, and my shoulders. Mind you, I'm not one to complain about discomfort due to handlebar vibrations at any speed, or such inannities. But other experienced riders have ridden my bike and have noticed the same effect. The situation is acute enough that I'm purchasing aircraft snap-in vents to provide ventilation behind the shield and reduce the vacuum effect.
                      This is the windshield I'm using (removed it for summer riding).

You get that behind a WindJammer also, I can't say that the vents make a noticeable difference on them. The effect does not cause discomfort, to me anyhow. Maybe a set of barbacks would help you, but then that wouldn't work if you take the shield off in warm weather.
                      1978 XS1100E
                      1982 XJ650RJ Seca
                      2001 Yamaha XT225
                      2002 Suzuki DR650
                      2008 Suzuki DL650 VStrom
                      AMA charter life member

Comment

Cobia - I wonder if the fact that your windshield is flat on the front makes any difference?? The other shields are rounded, and though I do see a small amount of forward airflow behind the windjammer, it's only noticable when there are water droplets or other flying debris between me and the fairing.
                        1980 XS850SG - Sold

-H. Ford

Comment

Working...
                        X