Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Need an awe inspiring horn for my rod . . .

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Jat

If you do decide to use any type of horn that has a heavy load, be sure to use the aux fuse that is below the fuse panel, to supply power to the horns,and wire in a relay. The stock horn circuit uses the button to make the ground for that circuit, and with 18 gauge wire, it will melt it in a heartbeat. I used 16 gauge wire to power the horns, but the stock wiring is sufficient to control the relay. If you watch the slide show in my signature, you will see how I mounted the horns, in the first and fourth pics.

Comment

have a look at 'Stebel '
      Seamus Ó hUrmholtaigh
      Niimi Moozhwaagan

NOTICE: No trees were destroyed in the sending of this message. We do concede, however, that a significant number of electrons may have been inconvenienced.

Any connection between your reality and mine is purely coincidental.

Member of "FOXS-11" (Former Owner of XS-11)
      and SOXS
      2008 Nomad "Deja Buick'

Comment

What you want to do is run a separate circuit from both sides of the battery. The hot side through a relay to the new horns and controlled by the leads taken directly from the old horn and a ground from the horn to the neg. side of the battery. This way you get max voltage and you can still use the factory horn button. In fact on my E, I used the factory horn bracket to mount the relay, because my horns are in the fairing. Removed the old horn mounted relay, with the same bolt, plugged in factory horn wires to relay, connected new horns to and from horn, job done.
        Fastmover
        "Just plant us in the damn garden with the stupid
        lion". SHL
        78 XS1100e

Comment

Originally posted by Jerry View Post
          Another available unit:

One place that has them, and where this quote is from:
          http://www.murphskits.com/catalog/pr...roducts_id=194

Unit was designed for an ST1100 but could probably be adapted.
          I had one on my ST1100 it was freaking loud! I feel naked without a good horn.
          Originally posted by randy View Post
          Draws 18 Amps! Yikes!
          Its highly reccommended that a separate wiring harness and relay be used...as the stock wiring will toast up rather quickly. Trust me me when I say that the only place to get the best wiring harness and relay is from Jim at easternbeaver.com...He is in Japan but you'll have your stuff in 5 days...you want a single horn wiring harness...the relay is already wired into the harness....Its plug and play ...Just remember to mount the horn vertically...that is with the trumpets facing down. Easternbeaver is top notch in the quality of their crimps and the heavy gauge wiring not to mention a quality relay...I am thinking of getting one for my '82 XJ11...
          1980 XS650G Special-Two
          1993 Honda ST1100

Comment

Originally posted by madmax-im View Post
            I had one on my ST1100 it was freaking loud! I feel naked without a good horn.I...
            when I get a god horn I get naked
            Seamus Ó hUrmholtaigh
            Niimi Moozhwaagan

NOTICE: No trees were destroyed in the sending of this message. We do concede, however, that a significant number of electrons may have been inconvenienced.

Any connection between your reality and mine is purely coincidental.

Member of "FOXS-11" (Former Owner of XS-11)
            and SOXS
            2008 Nomad "Deja Buick'

Comment

I was afraid of that....
              1980 XS650G Special-Two
              1993 Honda ST1100

Comment

There I was, minding my own business.....

I wish I hadn't read through this thread now. I blame you Ben, you should have known better. I gotta go find some Gravol. Rick
                I May Be Crazy, But I Have A Good Time.

Northern Gypsy - 2010 Kawasaki Concours 14 ABS - Daily rider

Comment

Originally posted by Big Daddy Funk View Post
                  I wish I hadn't read through this thread now. I blame you Ben, you should have known better. I gotta go find some Gravol. Rick
                  Dont worry I'm sure there are ways to blot that out real quick...and dont blame me blame your teacher...LOL Its a true feeling though...however fleeting it may be...that a good and freakin loud @$$ed horn gives you a sense of security. Not having one on my Maxim makes me feel most vulnerable...new horn and harness will be coming soon
                  1980 XS650G Special-Two
                  1993 Honda ST1100

Comment

Loud!!

I Got the Ear Blaster for my 1100 SPECIAL it is small ,fits in the palm of my hand and
                    put out 132 dec of sound( small air horn) and cost 46 dollars with shipping

Comment

Where did you find Ear Blaster? Is that Stebel, Nautilus or just what? I was trying to compare....
                      Thanks
                      RIP Whiskers (Shop Boss) 25+yrs

"It doesn't hurt until you find out no one is looking"

Everything on hold...

Comment

In yer face, all 139 dbs of it.

I got a Stebel-Nautilus horn for a father's day gift.
                        Big ugly chrome thing that won't fit where the stockers go.
                        Set it up on a mount on the right-hand side of the lower triple tree.
                        You better believe the "use a relay" message in the box.
                        When they include the relay with the horn you know they are serious.
                        Keerist is it loud!
                        Fred Hill, S'toon
                        XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
                        "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

I had a nautilus on my last bike, a honda shadow for 2yrs or so before I sold it. never had any problems. When I got my xs I upgraded the horn to a wolo badboy (same exact horn as the nautilus) and It broke less then a year later. I mounted it down low, where the center stand should be and I think that was my problem, dirty\wet air. I plan to replace it with another one but now I know and I wanted to let everyone else know, make sure your horn has clean air!
                          1979 xs1100 Special -
                          Stock air box/K&N Filter, MAC 4-2 exhaust, Bad-Boy Air horn, TC fuse box, Windshield, Soft bags, Vetter Fairing, Blinkers->Run/Turn/Brake Lights, Headlight Modulator, hard wire GPS power

Short Stack - 1981 xs1100 Standard - lowered for SWMBO.

Originally posted by fredintoon
                          Goes like a train, corners like a cow, shifts like a Russian tractor, drinks like a fish, you are gonna love it.
                          My Bike:
                          [link is broken]

Comment

here ya go...had some on my first car. 89 mercury grand marquis ls...sold them and miss them sooo much

http://www.hornblasters.com/products...train-horn-kit

On a more serious note heres what ill be getting-

http://www.jcwhitney.com/chrome-bad-.../p2016504.jcwx

and a homegrown solution

http://www.ridethatbike.com/NOMAD%20...rs%20horns.htm
                            -xs1100 special
                            -wife
                            -daughter

Comment

+1 on the stebel nautilus

I am running one on my Venture and will be mounting on the XS now that it is becoming by bike of choice for long rides. They do draw a lot so you need that relay and the dedicated power source. But at 75+ mph I cannot hear the stock horn on the bikes, so I know the cagers will never hear it. The stebel makes the statement to stay the F out of my lane better than anything else I have tried.
                              Scott
                              I have a bike and I am not afraid to use it

Comment

wolo bad boy

wolo bad boy horn is available in the states for 35 bucks 118 db is super loud! one bolt hookup easy wire,,i freak cars out they can,t believe that sound came from a bike ,,ride safe ,,slow mo!
                                The Belfast Express {1980 xs11oo special/TC fuse box/mikes xs pods/bad boy horn!/mikes green coils/mac 4 into 2 exhaust/ standard bars/vetter fairing c/w ipod CD iphone am/fm radio/tkat fork brace ,,,tuned by tinman
                                moemcnally@hotmail.com
                                i AM THE KING OF NOTHING

the people here are great , doesn't matter about the bike really/hamjam ////

Comment

Working...
                                X