fj1100 cam chain tensioner?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• fj1100 cam chain tensioner?

ANybody know how to do this adjustment, it's way friggin' different than on my old xs. I"m almost, I hate to say it, stumped.

The FJ1100 has an automatic cam chain adjuster. It is located on the back side of the engine, and it is impossible to get to. SWMBO as an FJ11, and we had it apart last year.

Comment

did you ever have the problem of the lining in the exhaust headers coming loose, I think that may be my problem. I'm not sure, but it is quite noisy but its not the valves sound like an exhaust rattle more than anything.

Comment

and, can you back the nut in the adjuster at the rear of the engine all the way out so it will reset itself, if that is possible.

Comment

A very loud, rattly, YES

To the header pipe rattling. SWMBO's has a problem with #1 header. I brought a stethoscope home from work, and located the offending pipe that way. You can use a long screwdriver the same way. Just touch the tip to the pipe, and your ear to the handle, and you will be able to find the guilty party. I am going to take the pipe to work, and drill a small hole in the back of the pipe and weld it all togeher. That should stop the rattle. I understand that is a common problem on those bikes. I don't know about resetting the adjuster. It has a spring that holds tension against the tensioner rod, and a ratchet assembly that keeps it from moving backwards. According to the book, it has to be removed to retract the tensioner rod back into the assembly You can extend the rod by looseing the bolts that attach the tensioner assembly to the cylinders. That will allow the tensioner rod to extend a little more.

Comment

thank you so very much for your help. Let us know how that works with the welding on the header. Sounds like I've got more than one mesing up.

Comment

Working...
            X