83 yamaha virago 920

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 83 yamaha virago 920

ok guy here goes i got a few questions about this bike it is my bros bike and i am trying to fix it for him but it has a few issues and if i cant get them fixed he is trading it in for a new yamaha r6

problem 1
    the charging system is not charging the bike so what are some of them parts that could of went bad that will make a bike not charged

problem 2
    as we all know the starting system on these bike sucked fromthe git go and now it needs fixed what all parts will need replaced on it

but other then that it is a good bike it just aint as fast as the xs1100
    79 yamaha xs1100f standard
    best 1/4 mile 13.282@99.40

.. go for the R6
    by the time he is finished fixing problems 1 and 2, problem 3 will start showing up [butterfly shaft seal intake leaks on carbs]
    i had one of these once and it was a pretty groovy bike but he will love the R6, especially if he gets an 06!
    the biggest problem will be finding anyone to take one of those in on trade, the blue book value states they are only worth about $400 bucks for a good one thats in good working order

.. the deal with the R6 is, you wont be faster than him any more

Comment

thats what he wants to do is go for the r6 but i know that nobody is going to give him anything for it for trade in so i was going to just get it going so we would have a spare bike around in case one is in the shop we would still have something to ride

Comment

i will always be faster then him i have a ace in my back pocket and it is called the 07 suzuki hayabusa i mean he might be faster for a few months but what parts you guys think i am going to need to get the virago back on the road

Comment

A 920?

Five gallons of gas, and a long fuse will do the job.

Comment

yeah that would do the job but then we wouldnt have a back up bike if one of the bikes is in the shop

Comment

That would be a nice bike to turn into a caff racer.
              Some clip-ons, rear-sets, 2in2 akrapovic, ebay for parts.

LP
              If it doesn't have an engine, it's not a sport, it's only a game.
              (stole that one from I-dont-know-who)

Comment

well with the way the bike seats it wouldnt really make a good cafe racer it has to much of a cruiser style to it but it does have alot of power for what it is

Comment

Look at the Virago web site. They have two or three fixes for the starter problem thar do do cost very much. I have an 82 Virago that I fixed with one of the fixes listed.

Marc

Comment

ok i will do that do you have the web addresses for thew sites

Comment

Try http://www.Viragoownersclub.org

Marc

Comment

thank you but you had one to many back hash marks and it wouldnt open up for me but i got it figureed out

Comment

Originally posted by bandet01
                          thank you but you had one to many back hash marks and it wouldnt open up for me but i got it figureed out
                          Link fixed....
                          Ken Talbot

Comment

I once saw a virago 750 turned into a caff.
                            Something roared past me as I was waiting to cross the street. It was army flat dark green, black emblems, clip-ons, rear-sets, 2 in 2 akrapovic exhaust, made GREAT noise, made me wanna have a virago. And I dont like viragos.

LP
                            If it doesn't have an engine, it's not a sport, it's only a game.
                            (stole that one from I-dont-know-who)

Comment

.. here ya go bandet try this... starter fix..
                              good price, easy fix
                              http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...MEWA%3AIT&rd=1

..too bad they didn't have this kit around when i had one of my virago's, i might have kept one

Comment

Working...
                              X