XS1100 vs Valyrie Interstate

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• XS1100 vs Valyrie Interstate

Welp, I've narrowed down my next bike purchase from a VTX1800 vs. Valkyrie vs. XS1100 down to Valk vs. XS1100.

I found a bargain of a deal talking with a woman in W. Virginia for an '80G bagger for $1,500. I figure it'll take a grand to get it where I like it. The other option is to go the '99 Valk IS route, in black. The purpose: make longer distance rides with my gf more comfortable. She & I both love the comfort of the XS riding. I bought a few bikes that I thought would be great for touring (Concours 14, H2 SX, etc.), and none are great for it.

I know XS bikes like the back of my hand. It's an easy bike to get going, from a good foundation (which that '80G bike has).

The Valk I can figure out, and is bulletproof. Six carbs is a pain in the butt, but what's 2 more? Not much. But, does the large increase in cost of the Valk make it worth it? I'm not a big guy (5'10", 170 lbs., gf is 110 lbs., 5'7"), so both bikes will fit me well.

I've always loved the Valks, but in some ways, they're not much different than any other UJM bike like the XS, once you discount the engine type. So, what to do . . .
    1979 XS1100F
    2H9 Mod, Truck-Lite LED Headlight, TECHNA-FIT S/S Brake Lines, Rear Air Shocks, TKAT Fork Brace, Dyna DC-I Coils, TC Fuse Block, Barnett HD Clutch Springs, Superbike Handlebars, V-Star 650 ACCT, NGK Irridium Plugs, OEM Exhaust. CNC-Cut 2nd Gear Dogs; Ported/Milled Head; Modded Airbox: 8x8 Wix Panel Filter; #137.5 Main Jet, Viper Yellow Paint, Michelin Pilot Activ F/R, Interstate AGM Battery, 14MM MC, Maier Fairing, Cree LED Fog Lights.

Ian, I have owned over 50 bikes over the years and non can compare to my Valkyrie. I love my XS1100 but it would not be what I pick for long distance (500 - 600 miles a day on most big trips). I have ridden mine from Connecticut to Nova Scotia, Key West, & New Orleans. In 2022 I rode the Valk from here to Nebraska, down to Colorado. Then rode to Las Vegas and headed south to Arizona, The Grand Canyon, and finally ending up in Mexico. 6000 miles in two weeks. Could have I done in on the XS11? I think it could make it mechanically with the help of an oil cooler but it would be hard on the bike and even harder on me. Lab3 rides his cross country all the time and is happy with it.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3504A.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	132.7 KB
ID:	877618 Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN4985.JPG
Views:	130
Size:	187.8 KB
ID:	877619 Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN2348.JPG
Views:	124
Size:	134.7 KB
ID:	877620 Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN9745.JPG
Views:	127
Size:	168.2 KB
ID:	877621 Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN6904.JPG
Views:	126
Size:	183.6 KB
ID:	877622

Comment

Guess it depends on what you want out of your bike. Before I got my XS11 I was on a Goldwing which was quite excellent at eating up miles on the interstate but not really the bike you want for running hard on the Twisties or as an around town bike. Although you can definitely feel the difference in the stoutness of the frame and forks while pulling a small trailer the XS does everything I want it to do and packs as much gear between the trunk and bags as the Goldwing.

Guess it comes down to which bike do you want to be on once you reach your destination, a full out touring bike or a sport tourer? I'll take the XS any day over the Goldwing on unpaved roads that's for sure!
      Last edited by LAB3; 01-25-2024, 09:51 AM.
      1980 XS1100G

These aren't my words, I just arrange them

Comment

I agree. The Goldwing is basically a refrigerator that handles like a loaf of bread (the older ones anyway). The Valkyrie handles great. Totally different frame and geometry. Handles no worse than an XS11 fully loaded.

Comment

Yeah, I own 34 bikes, so I enjoy registering different bikes every year. But, this would be my first Valk. I have plenty of XS's. But, the Valks I'm looking at are $6,500. The bagged XS in the configuration I desire is $1,500, plus comes with a spare bike. I looked at a few Venturers, but they all needed paint, etc.
          1979 XS1100F
          2H9 Mod, Truck-Lite LED Headlight, TECHNA-FIT S/S Brake Lines, Rear Air Shocks, TKAT Fork Brace, Dyna DC-I Coils, TC Fuse Block, Barnett HD Clutch Springs, Superbike Handlebars, V-Star 650 ACCT, NGK Irridium Plugs, OEM Exhaust. CNC-Cut 2nd Gear Dogs; Ported/Milled Head; Modded Airbox: 8x8 Wix Panel Filter; #137.5 Main Jet, Viper Yellow Paint, Michelin Pilot Activ F/R, Interstate AGM Battery, 14MM MC, Maier Fairing, Cree LED Fog Lights.

Comment

I would buy both but that's me. Ian, I gotta tell you, telling me about your 34 bikes is the best news I heard all day. I *only* have 25 and my wife thinks I'm crazy. I can't wait to tell her about Ian MacDonald and his 34 bikes. OUTSTANDING!

Click image for larger version  Name:	DSCN2625.JPG Views:	0 Size:	187.2 KB ID:	877639

Comment

Tell you what, if money wasn't a big issue and I wanted something newer a Yamaha FJR1300 or Honda ST1100 would be in my sights.
              1980 XS1100G

These aren't my words, I just arrange them

Comment

Originally posted by LAB3 View Post
                Tell you what, if money wasn't a big issue and I wanted something newer a Yamaha FJR1300 or Honda ST1100 would be in my sights.
                Meh. I have an "18 C14 and a '21 H2 SX that puts the FJR to shame, but neither are great for passengers.
                1979 XS1100F

Comment

Originally posted by DEEBS11 View Post
                  I would buy both but that's me. Ian, I gotta tell you, telling me about your 34 bikes is the best news I heard all day. I *only* have 25 and my wife thinks I'm crazy. I can't wait to tell her about Ian MacDonald and his 34 bikes. OUTSTANDING!

Click image for larger version Name:	DSCN2625.JPG Views:	0 Size:	187.2 KB ID:	877639
                  Hah. The thought has crossed my mind, but it would be a Standard Valk, plus the bagged XS. But, at that point, I'm creeping away from why I want the Valk. I want a bagged Valk,
                  1979 XS1100F

Comment

LAB3 - Both awesome bikes for travel without being bulky.

Ian, I phoned my wife and she says I'm still crazy but there are people in the world who are also crazy.
                    Last edited by DEEBS11; 01-25-2024, 10:56 AM.

Comment

The Valk's I'm looking at:

The bagged '80G I'm looking at:
                      1979 XS1100F

Comment

No brainer. BTW, I put the larger Interstate gas tank on mine for longer distance travel. Don't forget a car tire on the rear.

Comment

Originally posted by DEEBS11 View Post
                          No brainer. BTW, I put the larger Interstate gas tank on mine for longer distance travel. Don't forget a car tire on the rear.
                          Tales from the Dark Side? Wasn't that a show in the 90's?
                          1979 XS1100F

Comment

Oh YEA.

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN5758.JPG
Views:	116
Size:	202.6 KB
ID:	877652

Comment

I rode the Valkyrie with aftermarket exhaust. I loved the handling and that sound! Reminded me of a Posche 911. Would love to make a naked out of one but prices are too steep overhere to do that.
                              XS1100 3X0 '82 restomod, 2H9 '78 chain drive racer, 3H3 '79 customized.
                              MV Agusta Brutale 910R '06.
                              Triumph 1200 Speed Trophy '91, Triumph 1200 '93.
                              Z1 '73 restomod, Z1A '74 yellow/green, KZ900 A4 '76 green.
                              Yamaha MT-09 Tracer '15 grey.
                              Kawasaki Z1300 DFI '84 modified, red.

Comment

Working...
                              X