No announcement yet.

XS850 Midnight on Mecum

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tonyxs11 suggested that it is because of the shaft drive. I've heard that from others as well. And that could be, because that is the only significant difference that I can see. I have to admit that I have not rode a chain drive in ages. So long that I can't remember when. Is there really that much of a difference.?
    Last edited by Ranger_xs1100; 01-31-2023, 03:14 PM.
    Bob's Bikes:
    79SF, Military theme.

Bob's websites:
    https://projectxs11.wordpress.com
    https://rucksackgrunt.com

Bob's Books:
    "
    Project XS11"
    "Rucksack Grunt"
    "Small Unit Leadership"
    "Beatrice B. Goode"

Bob's Parts:
    For Sale Here.

Comment

Originally posted by jetmechmarty View Post

Is it just a matter of styling? The XS1100 is as good or better than these others, but appears to have far less value in the marketplace. I personally don't care for anything with a square headlight, but that won't keep me from the XS11. Maybe others feel more strongly about that. Otherwise, I don't get it.
      Tonyxs11 suggested that it is because of the shaft drive. I've heard that from others as well. And that could be, because that is the only significant difference that I can see. I have to admit that I have not rode a chain drive in ages. So long that I can't remember when. Is there really that much of a difference.?
      Bob's Bikes:
      79SF, Military theme.

Bob's websites:
      https://projectxs11.wordpress.com
      https://rucksackgrunt.com

Bob's Books:
      "
      Project XS11"
      "Rucksack Grunt"
      "Small Unit Leadership"
      "Beatrice B. Goode"

Bob's Parts:
      For Sale Here.

Comment

Originally posted by Ranger_xs1100 View Post
        Is there really that much of a difference.?
        Yes. The shaft drive is cleaner, cheaper and easier to maintain. I only have to occasionally change the oil and apply some grease. There is jacking action with hard acceleration, but that goes unnoticed once I fit the bike with proper springs.
        My chain drive bikes sling lube onto the rear wheel and make a general mess. Chain and sprockets are wear items that get replaced periodically. How often usually depends upon how much I spend for quality parts. More power is applied to the rear wheel with a chain than a gear drive. Hard acceleration will try to squat the rear suspension rather than jack it.

Marty (in Mississippi)
        XS1100SG
        XS650SK
        XS650SH
        XS650G
        XS6502F
        XS650E

Comment

im a member of the OSS site and you can see it on their, the GS1000G (shaft) doesn't get a lookin really but the GS1000E (chain) is much more desirable, and they have the same engine and power. you can see the prices too, the E sells more than twice as much as the G !!!!
          i wonder if the Yamaha factory did a chain driven XS1100 how sort after they would be ????

Comment

GS1000 has gobs of power and weighs less than the XS1100. I just read that. Maybe it's a factor. Also, the Yamaha 2nd gear issue is not a secret. The XS1100 is a bargain right now.
            Marty (in Mississippi)
            XS1100SG
            XS650SK
            XS650SH
            XS650G
            XS6502F
            XS650E

Comment

Originally posted by jetmechmarty View Post
              GS1000 has gobs of power and weighs less than the XS1100. I just read that. Maybe it's a factor. Also, the Yamaha 2nd gear issue is not a secret. The XS1100 is a bargain right now.
              I have a GSX1100 with even more power and still weighs less than my XS1100

Comment

I am on a couple other forums for bikes that are chain drive only. One of the things that people are constantly doing is changing the sprocket sizes, so that they can change the gear ratios. The ability to be able to do that is very important to many people, especially if racing, whether on the strip or the track. I am no expert, but I believe that this is the biggest negative to the shaft drive. I personally do not feel the need to tinker with drive ratios. I prefer a shaft to a chain because of reliability, less maintenance, and much cleaner.

Comment

Originally posted by Hydroman View Post
                  One of the things that people are constantly doing is changing the sprocket sizes, so that they can change the gear ratios.
                  That's my only "complaint" with my XS and the 920 Virago I owned several years ago. These bikes are made to cruise very smooth at 55 mph and with all the torque on tap I'd love nothing more than to bump that up into the 65mph range for the price of a $20 sprocket!

1980 XS1100G

These aren't my words, I just arrange them

Comment

I have less-than-fond memories of swapping a chain on my '72 CB750 on the street in North Platte, Nebraska on my way back from California, no credit card and money running out. It was worn well past adjustment and was in danger of skipping a tooth at highway speeds with possible catastrophic results. Fortunately, I had converted from a metric chain to a Reynolds 1/4" pitch version previously, and I was pleased to discover that this type of chain was common to most farm equipment. I'm sure newer O-ring chains will now hold onto the lube longer. With a look of sheer desperation on my face, I stumbled into a farm implement dealer just before they were closing at dusk and got "No problem! How many links do you need?" Although it was slightly wider, I just took the chainguard off and was mobile. Also, when I was wrenching on the street, three bikers, all from various states rolled up and asked if I needed help. They invited me to join them for a beer at the local watering hole, the last thing I remember. Somehow, I was provided with a roof over my head for the night by a generous local and was on my way the next day. In light of this experience, despite any minor power loss and enjoyable alcoholic roadside camaraderie, my next ride was a '76 XS750D, then my '80G. "Never Again" I swore - "It's only shafties for the long road trips from now on!" Sure, project bikes / short trippers are chain drive but for the long haul, one less thing to bugger up a trip.
                    1980 XS1100G (one owner-me)
                    1983 Kawasaki GPZ750 (Frankenbike)
                    Owned - 1976 XS750D
                    Owned - 1972 Honda CB750
                    Owned - (unknown year) XS650
                    (+ too many Yammies/Hondas to mention)

Comment

Originally posted by LenB View Post
                      I have less-than-fond memories of swapping a chain on my '72 CB750 on the street in North Platte, Nebraska on my way back from California, no credit card and money running out. It was worn well past adjustment and was in danger of skipping a tooth at highway speeds with possible catastrophic results. Fortunately, I had converted from a metric chain to a Reynolds 1/4" pitch version previously, and I was pleased to discover that this type of chain was common to most farm equipment. I'm sure newer O-ring chains will now hold onto the lube longer. With a look of sheer desperation on my face, I stumbled into a farm implement dealer just before they were closing at dusk and got "No problem! How many links do you need?" Although it was slightly wider, I just took the chainguard off and was mobile. Also, when I was wrenching on the street, three bikers, all from various states rolled up and asked if I needed help. They invited me to join them for a beer at the local watering hole, the last thing I remember. Somehow, I was provided with a roof over my head for the night by a generous local and was on my way the next day. In light of this experience, despite any minor power loss and enjoyable alcoholic roadside camaraderie, my next ride was a '76 XS750D, then my '80G. "Never Again" I swore - "It's only shafties for the long road trips from now on!" Sure, project bikes / short trippers are chain drive but for the long haul, one less thing to bugger up a trip.
                      I think if you replaced that worn out chain before your road trip everything would of been fine and it wouldn't of let you down. I have no problem with chains, it doesn't take much to adjust and lube it now and then, its all part of owning bikes and being a biker

Comment

It was in good condition before I left for the trip and faithfully lubed and adjusted during. These are distances rarely encountered in the UK, traveling 900-1000 miles a day. Torture for any chain.
                        Owned - 1976 XS750D
                        Owned - 1972 Honda CB750

Comment

Spent about a month working in North Platte in the mid 80's, the bikers there where some top notch folks that's for darn sure!
                          1980 XS1100G

These aren't my words, I just arrange them

Comment

I had a similar experience in the late 80's. My wife (at the time girlfriend) went on a day trip, a few hours from home on my Honda 650 nighthawk. I was young and didn't understand the importance of preventive maintenance. We threw a chain on the way home and were stranded. A state trooper picked us up and dropped us off at the next exit to use a payphone. Luckily I had a cousin that lived in the town where we broke down, so at least we had a place to stay.

I learned the hard way the importance of chain maintenance and replacement when needed.

I also like shaft drive for the longer trips.

Comment

It was in good condition before I left for the trip and faithfully lubed and adjusted during. These are distances rarely encountered in the UK, traveling 900-1000 miles a day. Torture for any chain.
                              torture for your butt as well

Comment

I was about 50 years younger and considerably more foolish (daring?) then with a body that could take that kind of abuse and come back for more! Only time I can remember actually nodding off at the bars from travelling non-stop through the night. Just another item on the "Holy Crap I'm Lucky to be Alive / I Should be Dead" list. Not capable of that kind of extreme long-distance riding any more! Just happy to still be upright and enjoying the wind in my face!
                                Owned - 1976 XS750D
                                Owned - 1972 Honda CB750

Comment

Working...
                                X