XS850 Midnight on Mecum

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• XS850 Midnight on Mecum

For the Mecum Auction watchers and Midnight Special lovers... A 1980 XS850 Midnight Special sold for $33,000 yesterday!

https://www.mecum.com/lots/LV0123-53...night-special/
    Bob's Bikes:
    79SF, Military theme.

Bob's websites:
    https://projectxs11.wordpress.com
    https://rucksackgrunt.com

Bob's Books:
    "
    Project XS11"
    "Rucksack Grunt"
    "Small Unit Leadership"
    "Beatrice B. Goode"

Bob's Parts:
    For Sale Here.

I guess there is still a Collector Status and decent value for these ol bikes. THat is great, that way these xs, xj models will remain desired as collectible among the many models of bikes over the years. Hope your sale of those beautiful bikes you have in the garage goes well for you Bob, when you decide its time. We all hope they go to guys that can maintain and keep them as runners to enjoy. One great thing about these models, all the xs, is that they are pretty easy to keep going once running well. Ride on, Mike in San DIego, and Pa.

Comment

Originally posted by Socer4m View Post
      I guess there is still a Collector Status and decent value for these ol bikes. THat is great, that way these xs, xj models will remain desired as collectible among the many models of bikes over the years. Hope your sale of those beautiful bikes you have in the garage goes well for you Bob, when you decide its time. We all hope they go to guys that can maintain and keep them as runners to enjoy. One great thing about these models, all the xs, is that they are pretty easy to keep going once running well. Ride on, Mike in San DIego, and Pa.
      Thanks Mike. The time is coming soon!
      Bob's Bikes:
      79SF, Military theme.

Bob's websites:

Bob's Books:
      "
      Project XS11"
      "Rucksack Grunt"
      "Small Unit Leadership"
      "Beatrice B. Goode"

Bob's Parts:
      For Sale Here.

Comment

[QUOTE=Socer4m;n871831] We all hope they go to guys that can maintain and keep them as runners to enjoy. One great thing about these models, all the xs, is that they are pretty easy to keep going once running well. /QUOTE]

At $33k that bike isn't going to run much further than up the ramp to the trailer!
        1980 XS1100G

These aren't my words, I just arrange them

Comment

[QUOTE=LAB3;n871833]
          Originally posted by Socer4m View Post
          We all hope they go to guys that can maintain and keep them as runners to enjoy. One great thing about these models, all the xs, is that they are pretty easy to keep going once running well. /QUOTE]

At $33k that bike isn't going to run much further than up the ramp to the trailer!
          Marty (in Mississippi)
          XS1100SG
          XS650SK
          XS650SH
          XS650G
          XS6502F
          XS650E

Comment

I'd like to find the guy that bought that. I'd be happy to sell him my 1980 1100 MNS for only HALF that much!!
            1981 Midnight Special
            Formerly had a Seca 550 and boy was it fast!!

Comment

The prices are crazy. 73 Z1 went for 52k. This particular 850 Special was absolutely mint and original after all these years. Yes it’s going to sit in someone’s collection, but by the looks of it that’s the only life it knows!

Comment

Originally posted by Jim Mac View Post
                The prices are crazy. 73 Z1 went for 52k. This particular 850 Special was absolutely mint and original after all these years. Yes it’s going to sit in someone’s collection, but by the looks of it that’s the only life it knows!
                I saw that Z1 going for 52K, I love the old zed's but thats crazy money

Comment

And then there was the XS11e that hasn't sold yet. I thought the Mecum auction ended yesterday but the ad says "the bid goes on." It appears that the high bid is $3000 so far. Disappointing!
                  Bob's Bikes:
                  79SF, Military theme.

Bob's websites:

Bob's Books:
                  "
                  Project XS11"
                  "Rucksack Grunt"
                  "Small Unit Leadership"
                  "Beatrice B. Goode"

Bob's Parts:
                  For Sale Here.

Comment

Originally posted by Ranger_xs1100 View Post
                    And then there was the XS11e that hasn't sold yet. I thought the Mecum auction ended yesterday but the ad says "the bid goes on." It appears that the high bid is $3000 so far. Disappointing!
                    That's probably because it hadn't met the reserve price but the bidding was getting close. You could probably pick up one of those in decent condition almost anytime at that price if you're willing to travel.
                    1980 XS1100G

These aren't my words, I just arrange them

Comment

its strange that some bikes make the iconic status like the Z1, CB750, GS1000 but the XS11 hasn't ? I put it down to being a shaft drive. they seem very cheap over their in the U.S. but here in the U.K. their worth a bit more. I did a check on registered XS11's here and it showed less that 50 !!!!! but that doesn't count all the ones that aren't registered lying in sheds.

Comment

I agree that the 850 is a nice bike. I don't know about the 33K though. Would love to see the prices rise for the xs11's but that particular bike is not mint. Close though. Did anyone else notice the grab bar was missing the black inlay?
                        2 - 80 LGs bought one new
                        81 LH
                        02 FXSTB Nighttrain
                        22 FLTRK Road Glide Limited
                        Jim

Comment

Originally posted by cajun31 View Post
                          . Did anyone else notice the grab bar was missing the black inlay?
                          I did notice that right away, but then I wasn't sure if the 850s had the same black inlay as the 1100's.
                          Bob's Bikes:
                          79SF, Military theme.

Bob's websites:

Bob's Books:
                          "
                          Project XS11"
                          "Rucksack Grunt"
                          "Small Unit Leadership"
                          "Beatrice B. Goode"

Bob's Parts:
                          For Sale Here.

Comment

Originally posted by cajun31 View Post
                            Did anyone else notice the grab bar was missing the black inlay?
                            It really stuck out to me.

My brother in law has the same model, but someone changed the grab bar to a silver one for some reason.

-Mike
                            _________
                            '79 XS1100SF 20k miles
                            '80 XS1100SG 44k miles
                            '81 XS1100H Venturer 35k miles
                            '79 XS750SF 17k miles
                            '85 Honda V65 Magna ~7k miles
                            '84 Honda V65 Magna 48k miles (parts bike)
                            '86 Yamaha VMAX 9k miles

Previous: '68 Motoguzzi 600cc + '79 XS750SF 22k miles +'84 Honda V65

Comment

Originally posted by Ranger_xs1100 View Post

Is it just a matter of styling? The XS1100 is as good or better than these others, but appears to have far less value in the marketplace. I personally don't care for anything with a square headlight, but that won't keep me from the XS11. Maybe others feel more strongly about that. Otherwise, I don't get it.

Marty (in Mississippi)
                              XS1100SG
                              XS650SK
                              XS650SH
                              XS650G
                              XS6502F
                              XS650E

Comment

Working...
                              X