Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Very tempting

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Very tempting

    2 - 80 LGs bought one new
    81 LH
    02 FXSTB Nighttrain
    Jim

  • #2
    I wouldn't blame you for whatever rationalizing it takes.
    -Mike
    _________
    '79 XS1100SF 20k miles
    '80 XS1100SG 42k miles
    '81 XS1100H Venturer 35k miles
    '79 XS750SF 15k miles
    '84 Honda V65 Magna ? miles
    '85 Honda V65 Magna ~7k miles
    '84 Honda V65 Magna 48k miles (parts bike)
    '86 Yamaha VMAX 7k miles

    Previous: '68 Motoguzzi 600cc + '79 XS750SF 22k miles

    Comment


    • #3
      Expenditure approved!
      Knock off a couple of bucks and let them keep the brain bucket.
      I've got to talk to my insurance agent and see what a modern bike would cost me nowadays.
      1979 XS1100 Special
      1980 XS1100 Std parts bucket
      1987 ZL1000 Eliminator
      1976 XS750D Project in waiting

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by 2WheelFun View Post
        Expenditure approved!
        Knock off a couple of bucks and let them keep the brain bucket.
        I've got to talk to my insurance agent and see what a modern bike would cost me nowadays.
        Sadly .... Yamaha has decided that 2020 was the last year for these bikes. Makes sense as they still sell the fjr1300's. Much better bike for comfort and touring. I just like the Vmax's and this particular one is located just 100 miles south of me. My brother is trying to convince me to to with one of the new HD Roadglide Specials. Love those bikes too.
        2 - 80 LGs bought one new
        81 LH
        02 FXSTB Nighttrain
        Jim

        Comment


        • #5
          cajun31 No worries Jim, you’re not the only one on on here with an affinity for American made bikes..... 18-FXLR, takes me back and forth to work just fine... The XS is like a fountain of youth time machine, takes me right back to high school, 1980s on two wheels. I did get a bit of flack (humorous) last fall when I took the XS to to the H-D dealer from the usual suspects hanging around outside..... I replied “Yeah, it’s definitely a bad day when I have to take my 40yo Yamaha to get parts for my 2yo Harley”



          —-Bax

          Attached Files
          80 SG

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Bax View Post
            cajun31 No worries Jim, you’re not the only one on on here with an affinity for American made bikes..... 18-FXLR, takes me back and forth to work just fine... The XS is like a fountain of youth time machine, takes me right back to high school, 1980s on two wheels. I did get a bit of flack (humorous) last fall when I took the XS to to the H-D dealer from the usual suspects hanging around outside..... I replied “Yeah, it’s definitely a bad day when I have to take my 40yo Yamaha to get parts for my 2yo Harley”



            —-Bax
            What you have just described fits me. Of course as I have stated before I have owned my 80LG since new in Feb. of 80. I too own a Harley. Love both bikes. Have added the other two MNS to my collection because I simply love keeping these machines on the road. Eventually I will get too old to ride or tinker but hopefully that day is still quite a ways off. Just turned 64 at the beginning of the month and want to get a good cross country trip in before I get too old to trust myself to do so. Here is a picture of my 02 Nightrain.
            2 - 80 LGs bought one new
            81 LH
            02 FXSTB Nighttrain
            Jim

            Comment


            • #7
              I think the v-max would be overlapping duties with the night train and the RG could open you up for longer distance travel.

              ​​​​​​Does your brother have a touring bike that he wants to do some traveling with you?
              1979 XS1100 Special
              1980 XS1100 Std parts bucket
              1987 ZL1000 Eliminator
              1976 XS750D Project in waiting

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by 2WheelFun View Post
                I think the v-max would be overlapping duties with the night train and the RG could open you up for longer distance travel.

                ​​​​​​Does your brother have a touring bike that he wants to do some traveling with you?
                Yes.... that is his RG that I just posted the picture of. I am leaning towards the RG too. The vmax would be a lot of fun but something that is extremely impractical at this point. Besides I have the 3 MNS's that give me the burst thrills.
                2 - 80 LGs bought one new
                81 LH
                02 FXSTB Nighttrain
                Jim

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by 2WheelFun View Post
                  Expenditure approved!
                  Knock off a couple of bucks and let them keep the brain bucket.
                  I've got to talk to my insurance agent and see what a modern bike would cost me nowadays.
                  The two companies that I would recommend you check with are Progressive and Markel. If you own multiple bikes then Markel might be the better choice. They specialize in motorcycles so if you have a claim they know what to do to get you whole.
                  2 - 80 LGs bought one new
                  81 LH
                  02 FXSTB Nighttrain
                  Jim

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    I've got 2 on progressive now. Don't wreck insurance is $100/yr for both. I really should up my limits from state min and make sure it is full tort.

                    ​​​​​​I Was really close to pulling the trigger on a 15 RG special but it was flat black and I couldn't bring myself to spend that much on something that wasn't shiny. I probably should have bought it, it was a good deal.
                    1979 XS1100 Special
                    1980 XS1100 Std parts bucket
                    1987 ZL1000 Eliminator
                    1976 XS750D Project in waiting

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by 2WheelFun View Post
                      I've got 2 on progressive now. Don't wreck insurance is $100/yr for both. I really should up my limits from state min and make sure it is full tort.

                      ​​​​​​I Was really close to pulling the trigger on a 15 RG special but it was flat black and I couldn't bring myself to spend that much on something that wasn't shiny. I probably should have bought it, it was a good deal.
                      I have 3 of my bikes with Progressive. I only went with them because they are paired with USAA. USAA doesn't cover bikes. I just do the state minimums on all my bikes.. Less then 200 a year for all three. Will be adding my second 80LG as soon as I get it road worthy. I am leaning towards the RG as well. Geezer bikes are much more comfortable for touring. This pandemic can't last forever and hopefully we can all get back to our normal lives.
                      2 - 80 LGs bought one new
                      81 LH
                      02 FXSTB Nighttrain
                      Jim

                      Comment

                      Working...
                      X