Suzuki Bandit 1200

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Suzuki Bandit 1200

How many of you guys own Suzuki Bandits? Are they better than an XS, or just different? Here's a picture of my '97 Bandit 1200:

This thing ROCKS!!

Gary
    Gary Granger
    Remember, we are the caretakers of mechanical art.
    2013 Suzuki DR650SE, 2009 Kawasaki Concours 1400, 2003 Aprilia RSV Mille Tuono

Never owned or even ridden one, but have been looking at them ever since they were introduced. Quite a good reputation with them.

Popular Bandit forum is at http://www.maximum-suzuki.com/

Comment

Jeff,

You can buy a '97 like mine used for anywhere from $2500 to $4000 depending on mods. I got mine two years ago with 5K on it. This thing was bone stock and absolutely babied. I gave $4600 for it then. I have since put on a Corbin seat, Gen-mar bar risers, tank bra, 93 GSXR shock (completely rebuilt with all new spring, etc.), Givi top box and bracket, Secdem 4" over windscreen, 2" hole mod (in air box), Uni air filter, rejet mains and pilots, RF900 can. I have not tested it but figure I have picked up around 15 HP over stock, anything more gets expensive real fast. Cheap, powerful, after market supported, what else is there??

Gary
      Gary Granger

Comment

Re: Suzuki Bandit 1200

Originally posted by sixtysix
        Are they better than an XS, or just different?
        Trolling already, Gary?

Comment

Trolling? I already hooked one!!

Gary Granger

Comment

I still like the looks of the B12 a lot, though I haven't ridden one yet. With XS East 2002 behind us I'll finally be able to finish up the GSX-R1100.

In the end, I've decided against the "Pseudo Bandit" look in favor of a mostly-stock Gixxer with handlebars (vs clip-ons). Like this:

As Gary knows, I took a hard look at a low-miles B12 about a month ago, but didn't buy it. It was the wrong time for the budget and I have too many bikes. At the time I thought a Bandit for $4k was a rare deal, but since then I've found several ads in that price range. So...time's on my side.

I guess it'll depend on how I like the Gixxer when it's done. If it suits me, I'll ride it for a year or two. If not, I'll put the $$ in the "next bike fund". I expect to have a Bandit within the next year or so.

Bill
            Bill K.
            1985 Yamaha XJ700 Maxim
            1986 Yamaha FZX700 Fazer

Comment

Bill i copied your photo to image station, I hope it works!!

Cool!
              Gary Granger

Comment

Bandit 1200 YES!

Gary, the Secdem screen looks great. What is the vertical dimension? My Zero Gravity is taller than the stocker, but isn't as good looking.

When Sid Clarke rode Johnny Yukon's Bandit last year, he took it easy for a while, but I knew that sooner or later he was going to twist on it. When we finally coaxed him off, he had two words: "liquid torque"
                Mike * Seattle * 82 F'n'XJ1100 *

Comment

I think the screen is 4" over stock, I really like it. Today I finally put on a set of lowering links that I had a machine shop make for me. I put in a GSXR shock and the 'fast larry' ones were too short (2" under stock) so I had to have some made. Mine makes it lower by 1" (about 5mm or 0.2 inch longer than stock on the dog bone) Man its good to have my stock height and steering back. I did a couple 20 mph corners at 70 indicated today and it felt great.
                  Gary Granger

Comment

Gary, have you lowered the front at all? Not that the steering is slow, but I put my forks up about 1/2" in the tree at Tkat's suggestion, and it's even quicker and easier. Did you modify your forks? I went with progressive.

I also went with the Progressive rear shock, so have stock height in back.

That's my only gripe about the Bandit, really, the stock suspension being less than adequate for anything other than cruising around in non-hooligan mode. Party poopers.

Next time you get a chance, measure the Secdem screen height for me, ok? I'll do same on the ZG. I "think" it's also about 4" higher than the stocker.

Comment

No I have not lowered the front, I did slap in some progressive front springs though.

I got a smokin' deal on a rebuilt 93 GSXR1100 shock, new Galfer line, new spring, fully rebuilt, with all receipts, never used, for $150. The guy had it redone for another project then decided to go with an extended swing arm, so the shock would not work. He spent over $200 just on the rebuild, not including the shock.

I measured the screen it is 16.25 inches if you count the edging, the stock one is 12.50 inches, so I guess it is 3.75 inches over stock.

Gary
                      Gary Granger

Comment

ZG screen; pics of my Bandit

Gary, my Zero Gravity is 15", darn.

This shot shows most of the mods on my Bandit -

Corbin seat, Holeshot race can, K&N dual filters, OEM tank bra, OEM case guards with JCW mini pegs, Sigma BC800, bar risers, Napoleon bar-end mirrors, orange reflective pinstriping...also removed all decals from body work. Too bad the 'Suzuki' on the tank is under the clear coat

Doesn't show stainless brake and clutch lines (Goodrich), Holeshot Stage 2 jetting.

Tires are less than 1000 miles old - Michelin Pilot Sport - awesome!

Here's another view:

Last edited by Mike Hart; 07-09-2002, 05:51 PM.

Comment

How do you lke the bar end mirrors?

Gary
                          Gary Granger

Comment

Bar End Mirrors

Bar ends are great! They don't buzz any more than any other
                            mirrors, look great, and YOU CAN SEE!!!! Johnny Yukon has them
                            on his Bandit, and after seeing ours, Jason (and Denny?) got them
                            for their XS's.

Comment

Well, Banditos, I just saw a '97 B12 with 14k go on eBay for $2,975.
                              This bike is in perfect mechanical condition, it has new - (less than 100 miles) front and rear brake pads, K&N air filter, Zero Gravity Sport Touring windscreen, chain, battery and complete tune up with spark plugs and carb clean and sync.. It also has a Vance and Hines exhaust.The bodywork has some scuffs and scratches, nothing serious and the low reserve price will reflect that. This bike runs, rides and drives perfectly and will make someone a great all purpose bike at a very reasonable price.
                              With prices coming in that low, I guess I'll be able to get one in the next year or so. Unless I can't bear to part with the Gixxer!

Bill
                              Bill K.
                              1985 Yamaha XJ700 Maxim
                              1986 Yamaha FZX700 Fazer

Comment

Working...
                              X