No announcement yet.

'79 XS650 Special

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1974 got an improved engine. The cam isn’t as hot, but the rods and wrist pins are off a vastly improved design. ‘74 got a longer swingarm and frame improvements. ‘77 got fatter forks and improved brakes. Until 1980, the all have BS38 carburetors.
    Marty (in Mississippi)
    XS1100SG
    XS650SK
    XS650SH
    XS650G
    XS6502F
    XS650E

Comment

The usual refrain...

Conversations with other XS1100 friends who dont have or haven't ridden an XS650...I hear the usual refrains that i myself espoused at times in the past..
      But what I really want to know is how do they ride? How does it feel? Is it really that bad?(vibes)..I want to know ..first hand butt in the saddle...I have heard about it but I want to see/feel it for myself....
      The other aspect to owning one of these is the vast depository of knowledge and forum support...Just as good as what we have here for our XS1100s'.
      Cannot imagine owning a vintage Japanese bike without the proper forum support...
      Last edited by madmax-im; 05-07-2019, 02:57 AM.
      1980 XS650G Special-Two
      1993 Honda ST1100

Comment

In 1974 I rode one from California to North Carolina in six days. A windshield would have helped a LOT, but other than that it was fun. I was able to ride six and seven hundred miles per day on it. I did have the '74 tank on mine, as it was one gallon larger than the stock XS1-B.
        I wouldn't mind one again for shorter day trips on secondary roads. They handle pretty good and are fun to ride.
        Ray Matteis
        KE6NHG
        XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
        XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

Originally posted by DiverRay View Post
          In 1974 I rode one from California to North Carolina in six days. A windshield would have helped a LOT, but other than that it was fun. I was able to ride six and seven hundred miles per day on it. I did have the '74 tank on mine, as it was one gallon larger than the stock XS1-B.
          I wouldn't mind one again for shorter day trips on secondary roads. They handle pretty good and are fun to ride.
          600 or 700 mile days? Wow thats pretty Spartan...amazing what we got away with when we were young...
          My plan is downsizing from 500+ lb bikes to something lighter..these bikes harken back to a simpler time..and the pure essence of riding..2 lane roads.. and the VYR every year..and just banging around local backroads ... If nowhere else i will get to test ride one at the VYR in Sept...
          1980 XS650G Special-Two
          1993 Honda ST1100

Comment

The XS650 has as good or better support as any vintage Japanese motorcycle. It has Mike's XS, 650 Central, Heiden Tuning, Hoos Racing, etc. providing parts. It has the Yamaha 650 Society since 1978. (Yow saw the banner at VYR) Society members pay dues and get a newsletter and several rallies. There are also several XS650 forums. XS650.com, 650motorcycles.com, XS-650 Garage to name a few.

I rode mine to my 25 year HS reunion (a long time ago). It was 2100 miles round trip. It broke down a couple of times, so I would remember the trip.

It is no bike for the superslab. If properly turned, vibration can be managed with the shift lever. It can be driven to the end of the earth at 50-60 mph. It is capable of 100+ mph in proper tune. No fun at continuous 70+. 475 lbs for the late Special. The early models weigh much less, but have rubber frames.

Mine since new.
            Marty (in Mississippi)
            XS1100SG
            XS650SK
            XS650SH
            XS650G
            XS6502F
            XS650E

Comment

Wheres the like button????
              1980 XS650G Special-Two
              1993 Honda ST1100

Comment

Looking at CL nationwide search using search tempest..there are many XS650s forsale..the majority of them are Bobbed..Chopped..Scrambled..Street tracked..Cafe'd etc...but there are a few all original unmolested bikes as well... I love the creativity people have for these bikes but i am a die hard purist...For a bike that hasnt been made since 1985 there are a ton of them out there and like Marty said the forum support is nothing short of fantastic....
                1980 XS650G Special-Two
                1993 Honda ST1100

Comment

I remember when the 650’s first hit. They were Yamahas first four stroke and were beautiful. I liked the drum front brake for appearance, also liked the later versions with alloy rims.

Comment

Originally posted by madmax-im View Post
                    Wheres the like button????
                    We have one now...
                    1980 XS650G Special-Two
                    1993 Honda ST1100

Comment

Wound up with this...1980....
                      1980 XS650G Special-Two
                      1993 Honda ST1100

Comment

Working...