No announcement yet.

'79 XS650 Special

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I owned an XS1B back in the early '70's. Don't know how many miles I put on it, but it did make it from San Jose, CA to Fort Bragg, NC in 6 days. They are a great bike for the format, a twin with both pistons going up and down at the same time. Yes, you can watch the front tire almost bounce as the bike idles, but it handles well, is reliable, and easy to ride.
    Most HD riders DID hate them, for the same reason they hated Brit bikes. The 650 would out handle and outrun most 72ci HD's of the day! If I didn't get hooked on drive shafts, I might go back to a 650 twin!
    Ray Matteis
    KE6NHG
    XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
    XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

Smooth

The early bikes carb sync was two cables from the throttle grip very hard to sync and keep it set. 76 was the first year Yamaha linked the carbs with a bit of angle iron. This kept the carbs set/synced, the trick was a super sync, done right, vibration (as the XS650 Society says, what vibration ?) is at a minimum then gearing comes into play, stock rear sprocket is 34.
      I ran my 77 with a 40 rear and that came off in place of a 32 in less than 100 miles, it took parts off like a Triumph (turn around and pick up what fell off). So many things can be added or modified, and speed/pickup/handling, with stock gearing will actually scare how really fast they handle like a big bicycle, especially the models with 19" front and 18" rear.
      On the other hand, nothing will keep up with the XS1100 like the 750 Seca and if you can find one the 900 Seca.
      76 XS650 C ROADSTER
      80 XS650 G Special II
      https://ibb.co/album/icbGgF
      80 XS 1100 SG
      81 XS 1100LH/SH DARKHORSE
      https://tinyurl.com/k6nzvtw
      AKA; Don'e, UD, Unca Don'e

Comment

[QUOTE=donebysunday;510311]The early bikes carb sync was two cables from the throttle grip very hard to sync and keep it set. 76 was the first year Yamaha linked the carbs with a bit of angle iron. This kept the carbs set/synced, the trick was a super sync, done right, vibration (as the XS650 Society says, what vibration ?) is at a minimum then gearing comes into play, stock rear sprocket is 34.
        I ran my 77 with a 40 rear and that came off in place of a 32 in less than 100 miles, it took parts off like a Triumph (turn around and pick up what fell off). So many things can be added or modified, and speed/pickup/handling, with stock gearing will actually scare how really fast they handle like a big bicycle, especially the models with 19" front and 18" rear.
        On the other hand, nothing will keep up with the XS1100 like the 750 Seca and if you can find one the 900 Seca.[/QUOTE]
        Not to mention the Maxim 650s and 750s too...
        1980 XS650G Special-Two
        1993 Honda ST1100

Comment

The rare Seca 650 Turbo was also a fun, FAST bike! It's problem was the handling, as it felt top heavy. Once the turbo spooled up, the bike was gone! I really liked mine, and would have put a lot more miles on it but for wet roads and someone in a car going too fast trying to get on the freeway.
          Ray Matteis
          KE6NHG
          XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
          XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

Originally posted by DiverRay View Post
            The rare Seca 650 Turbo was also a fun, FAST bike! It's problem was the handling, as it felt top heavy. Once the turbo spooled up, the bike was gone! I really liked mine, and would have put a lot more miles on it but for wet roads and someone in a car going too fast trying to get on the freeway.
            there was one at the VYR and it was forsale too...
            1980 XS650G Special-Two
            1993 Honda ST1100

Comment

Originally posted by madmax-im View Post
              there was one at the VYR and it was forsale too...
              1980 XS650G Special-Two
              1993 Honda ST1100

Comment

Originally posted by donebysunday View Post
                I won't drag this out, let me just some it up this guy has no clue, period...
                I've a very nice 79 I'm drooling over but no room, 6000 original miles, man says $1800 but $1500 will sell it, dang near new, rode it around the block, for a bike that has been ridden little, it runs very well, only problem, it's RED, I hate RED !
                Hi done,
                FWIW a RED (or whatever other colour you hate) XS650 can be the colour you want it to be with the careful use of a can of paint.
                What with the stock black frame & chrome fenders it's only the tank & sidecovers that need painting anyway, eh?
                Fred Hill, S'toon
                XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
                "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

Red

Originally posted by fredintoon View Post
                  Hi done,
                  FWIW a RED (or whatever other colour you hate) XS650 can be the colour you want it to be with the careful use of a can of paint.
                  What with the stock black frame & chrome fenders it's only the tank & sidecovers that need painting anyway, eh?
                  Agreed !
                  But for losing that stock color, if your into keeping it stock ?
                  I put a little higher value on certain stock colors like French Blue, Maxi Maroon, Black (why never a white or Ivory or Cameo and gold ?).
                  76 XS650 C ROADSTER
                  80 XS650 G Special II
                  https://ibb.co/album/icbGgF
                  80 XS 1100 SG
                  81 XS 1100LH/SH DARKHORSE
                  https://tinyurl.com/k6nzvtw
                  AKA; Don'e, UD, Unca Don'e

Comment

Originally posted by donebysunday View Post
                    Agreed !
                    But for losing that stock color, if your into keeping it stock ?
                    I put a little higher value on certain stock colors like French Blue, Maxi Maroon, Black (why never a white or Ivory or Cameo and gold ?).
                    Hi done,
                    if it's original paint and still looks OK, best leave it alone for authenticity's sake.
                    OTOH if the dreaded PO has repainted it, who knows what may be underneath?
                    One time I bought my boys a Kawi 90 that had been rattle-canned matte black.
                    Careful application of acetone on a rag showed the Kawi's stock screaming green underneath still OK, just s bit faded.
                    Fred Hill, S'toon
                    XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
                    "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

Nice! I’ve been wanting a carmine red one lately myself. I picked up a pretty nice faded red tank xs11 a while back and immediately pulled it off and let my buddy have it. I’ve been kicking myself ever since. It had the perfect patina...like an old barn with no dents or rust.
                      79 XS11 Special (Lazarus)
                      80 XS850 Special (Old Faithful)
                      80 XS11 Standard sorta stock (Beatrice)
                      79 DT 100

Comment

Ooops, looks like I missed the whole second page!
                        79 XS11 Special (Lazarus)
                        80 XS850 Special (Old Faithful)
                        80 XS11 Standard sorta stock (Beatrice)
                        79 DT 100

Comment

Another fine example...

I know they arent as sophisticated or refined as a 4 cyl. bike but there is something...nonetheless... that is undeniably appealing about these parallel twins...
                          1980 XS650G Special-Two
                          1993 Honda ST1100

Comment

You'd look good on that Ben!
                            -Mike
                            _________
                            '79 XS1100SF 20k miles
                            '80 XS1100SG 44k miles
                            '81 XS1100H Venturer 35k miles
                            '79 XS750SF 17k miles
                            '85 Honda V65 Magna ~7k miles
                            '84 Honda V65 Magna 48k miles (parts bike)
                            '86 Yamaha VMAX 9k miles

Previous: '68 Motoguzzi 600cc + '79 XS750SF 22k miles +'84 Honda V65

Comment

Originally posted by madmax-im View Post
                              I know they arent as sophisticated or refined as a 4 cyl. bike but there is something...nonetheless... that is undeniably appealing about these parallel twins...
                              This one is a '76. I still has the iron caliper, but it moved to the back side of the fork that year. Every year saw improvements.
                              Marty (in Mississippi)
                              XS1100SG
                              XS650SK
                              XS650SH
                              XS650G
                              XS6502F
                              XS650E

Comment

Originally posted by jetmechmarty View Post
                                This one is a '76. I still has the iron caliper, but it moved to the back side of the fork that year. Every year saw improvements.
                                A 15 year run is damn good...I like all years but if i had one I would prefer a TX 650 from '73 or '74...later improvements can be retrofitted to earlier models..like the electronic ignition..so it is all applicable and relevant to the model line...
                                1980 XS650G Special-Two
                                1993 Honda ST1100

Comment

Working...
                                X