'09 Concours 14

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ian,
    Also, the stock windscreen, although slightly enlarged for 2010, is still on the small side.

There are a few aftermarkets available.
    I use 2 screens- for rainy, cold weather riding, a Cee Bailey's High Dome Ultra Tour. This gives awesome protection. But, a caution. There's a weakness in the windscreen's adjustable mechanism. It's the large brown "Y" shaped bracket, specifically, lower rear area that rides up and down the rail. The extra height of the screen catching more air, usually if in the raised position and exceeding triple digits, or on days of high winds and passing semis... can cause it to break this part of the bracket. The top of the screen will suddenly come back about 6", enough to funnel lots of air into your helmet. This happened to me, and I had my clear visor open because it was a hot day. I suddenly got a great view of the sky... Kawasaki only sells the entire kit, along with the motor. $775!
    I had used mine for almost 5 years w/o a problem when the right situation reared it's ugly head! So, be cautious if you go this route. Always lower the screen before you nail the throttle, or on windy days, 'cause it can break.
    Many like the Cal-Sci...

I also bought a cool short summer screen, made by a C14 owner who lives in Florida. Expensive, but worth every penny in hot weather. Looks like a sport bike screen. Factory matched paint colors.

I also dropped my pegs, and added forward, fold up touring pegs from AST.
    Lifesavers on long trips.

Outfit this bike to fit you and your needs, and you'll never want another bike.

If you don't mind louder exhausts, there are many aftermarket setups available.
    I tried one, loved the look, loved saving 16 lbs. weight, it was ok, except for turnpikes. Then, it droned too much for me. Went back to stock,. Mine was the CS One. You can put duals on a C14, but you have to do some mods to retain a center stand. The early ZX-14 stock headers are the best choice, and have no cats. Steve Sesfick now has a special flash for the Area P full system guys.
    Have fun!
    Bob
    '82 XJ1100J Maxim (has been sold.)

'79 F "Time Machine"... oh yeah, Baby.... (Sold back to Maximan)

2011 Kaw Concours 14 ABS

In the warden's words from Cool Hand Luke;
    "What we have here is a failure to communicate."

Comment

Hi Gents- Thanks for all of the replies. Billy & Ben: Now, 33 bikes between 4 garages. I register 5 bikes every year. So, this is the rare exception at 6 right now. This year I have my XS1100, '02 Triumph Daytona 955I, '17 Yamaha FZ-10, '93 Suzuki GSX1100F, and '06 Suzuki GSXR-750. My dad and I bought a lot of classic Hondas when we were young, he bought a few more other bikes like an XS750E and Yamaha Seca Turbos (2), and an '03 Hayabusa. I bought over a dozen bikes since my youth.

Bob & Ray- I like to print these types of posts, and bimder them. I joined both Connie forums. Interesting to know I've been pronouncing the bike name wrong. The "s" is silent on the end.

Every year I dump a ton into my bikes. This year (Winter) will be the Connie. I already know it'll be expensive! The Rosta cruise control will be the one I pursue. Good write-up on it.

Every one of the mods I plan-on doing over the Winter.

I ride from April to November. First snow, the bikes go into storage. Sta-Bil, batteries out, cylinders fogged, tires inflated, and covered.
      1979 XS1100F
      2H9 Mod, Truck-Lite LED Headlight, TECHNA-FIT S/S Brake Lines, Rear Air Shocks, TKAT Fork Brace, Dyna DC-I Coils, TC Fuse Block, Barnett HD Clutch Springs, Superbike Handlebars, V-Star 650 ACCT, NGK Irridium Plugs, OEM Exhaust. CNC-Cut 2nd Gear Dogs; Ported/Milled Head; Modded Airbox: 8x8 Wix Panel Filter; #137.5 Main Jet, Viper Yellow Paint, Michelin Pilot Activ F/R, Interstate AGM Battery, 14MM MC, Maier Fairing, Cree LED Fog Lights.

Comment

Hi Ian,
        Congratulations on your new bike.
        Bob certainly likes his
        link did not work for me either.
        Phil
        1981 XS1100 H Venturer ( Addie)
        1983 XJ 650 Maxim
        2004 Kawasaki Concours. ( Black Bear)

Comment

https://drive.google.com/folderview?...9iK8tsYXQ2B-7z
          1979 XS1100F
          2H9 Mod, Truck-Lite LED Headlight, TECHNA-FIT S/S Brake Lines, Rear Air Shocks, TKAT Fork Brace, Dyna DC-I Coils, TC Fuse Block, Barnett HD Clutch Springs, Superbike Handlebars, V-Star 650 ACCT, NGK Irridium Plugs, OEM Exhaust. CNC-Cut 2nd Gear Dogs; Ported/Milled Head; Modded Airbox: 8x8 Wix Panel Filter; #137.5 Main Jet, Viper Yellow Paint, Michelin Pilot Activ F/R, Interstate AGM Battery, 14MM MC, Maier Fairing, Cree LED Fog Lights.

Comment

OK, that link works! It looks like you have the "new" Kawasaki shield and bar risers. Two great pluses for comfort. You also have an aftermarket muffler, so that's about 16lbs. off the right side of the bike. Not sure what you have for tires, but the Angel GT tires seem to get the best life and very good handling. Keep an eye on the front pads, as they do wear quickly stopping the bike from the "normal" cruise velocity. I'm still on the stock rears, and replaced the fronts three times. I'm also running the Chinese front rotors, and after about 15K miles I've been very happy with them.
            Ray Matteis
            KE6NHG
            XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
            XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

Originally posted by DiverRay View Post
              OK, that link works! It looks like you have the "new" Kawasaki shield and bar risers. Two great pluses for comfort. You also have an aftermarket muffler, so that's about 16lbs. off the right side of the bike. Not sure what you have for tires, but the Angel GT tires seem to get the best life and very good handling. Keep an eye on the front pads, as they do wear quickly stopping the bike from the "normal" cruise velocity. I'm still on the stock rears, and replaced the fronts three times. I'm also running the Chinese front rotors, and after about 15K miles I've been very happy with them.
              Hey Ray! How ya been?
              Sounds like we're in agreement on C14 stuff. Glad to hear you like the chinese rotors, too.

That windscreen he has is the stock one, '10 was the first year for it to be slightly taller and wider. '16 to present now have a "mail slot" type vent.

Ian, in '16, they also introduced what Kawi calls a "touring" seat.
              Heard they're better than the previous stock seats, but I still see some who sell them. Might be worth a try?

The seat I use, (Kawasaki Gel seat) has a rough textured cover that grips well, fits well. No sliding into the tank. Out of 5 different seats I tried, it's the ONLY one my passenger likes. Inspired confidence, no hands required to hold on.
              They have "Kawasaki" stitched on the rise portion of the riders seat, and 3 stitched lines on each side. 1 piece, 2 seat design.

You can also add "Phil's wedges" along with 2" risers. I have those, and went with AST set back 2" risers.

Also, you might want to check into pinning your saddle bags.
              I decided to. Easily done. Prevents losing a $700 bag accidentally.

Bob

2011 Kaw Concours 14 ABS

Comment

Originally posted by MaximPhil View Post
                Hi Ian,
                Congratulations on your new bike.
                Bob certainly likes his
                link did not work for me either.
                Phil
                Hey Phil! You got that right!

Take care, buddy! Be nice to get to see you again sometime.
                Bob

2011 Kaw Concours 14 ABS

Comment

Yeah. The mods I have planned will add-up quick, lol. They always do. I intend on sending my ECU to Steve in the early Spring. Everything else will wait till the Spring too. Don't want to dump money into it with Winter coming.
                  1979 XS1100F

Comment

Originally posted by IanDMacDonald View Post
                    Yeah. The mods I have planned will add-up quick, lol. They always do. I intend on sending my ECU to Steve in the early Spring. Everything else will wait till the Spring too. Don't want to dump money into it with Winter coming.
                    Isnt it fun sliding down that slippery slope?Weeee... Farkles ..farkles and more farkles...
                    $$$
                    1980 XS650G Special-Two
                    1993 Honda ST1100

Comment

Yeah. Already bought a Sargent seat, lol. No more till the Spring. Not much riding time left to justify it.
                      1979 XS1100F

Comment

Working...
                      X