'09 Concours 14

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• '09 Concours 14

Higher mileage @ 43k. Original owner. From a dealership. Was looking at a '14 Triumph Trophy, but dealer decided to tack-on an extra grand in document fees, etc., so I walked. The Connie is from another dealer. I'll explain that I'll pay taxes and plate fees only. Anything else, and I walk.

I'm intetested in modding the Connie. Heated grips, ECU flash, etc. I liked the Trophy for the cruise control. I wish I could find that in a used bike.

I'll keep looking . . .
    1979 XS1100F
    2H9 Mod, Truck-Lite LED Headlight, TECHNA-FIT S/S Brake Lines, Rear Air Shocks, TKAT Fork Brace, Dyna DC-I Coils, TC Fuse Block, Barnett HD Clutch Springs, Superbike Handlebars, V-Star 650 ACCT, NGK Irridium Plugs, OEM Exhaust. CNC-Cut 2nd Gear Dogs; Ported/Milled Head; Modded Airbox: 8x8 Wix Panel Filter; #137.5 Main Jet, Viper Yellow Paint, Michelin Pilot Activ F/R, Interstate AGM Battery, 14MM MC, Maier Fairing, Cree LED Fog Lights.

So the cruise control is the deal breaker on the ‘09 Connie (or any Connie)? Or is it the miles? ‘09 means 10 riding seasons, 4,300 miles each year. IMO, a cared for bike with more miles has way less stuff that will need work/service than on that has sat and brake and clutch fluid has gunked up, valve cover seals have stiffened up, etc.
    Howard

ZRX1200

BTW, ZRX carbs have the same spacing as the XS11... http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread.php?t=35462

Comment

Ian,
      send XJOK2PLAY a PM. He has a 2011 14 and has done quite a few mods which may include cruise control.
      I would not sweat the mileage if the bike is in good condition and the price is reasonable. Service records? I understand the valve adjustment is complex and very expensive, where most get it done, at the dealer.

Phil
      1981 XS1100 H Venturer ( Addie)
      1983 XJ 650 Maxim
      2004 Kawasaki Concours. ( Black Bear)

Comment

I'm trying to sell my 2011 Connie. 56K miles, heated grips from the factory but no flash on the ECU. I just don't like the amount of work needed to service the bike. It's $1,000 to have someone do a valve adjustment, or at least two days for me to do it! The batteries in the Connie will NOT handle any extra drain, as they fit inside a frame designed for the Ninja. That is the reason there is no cruise from the factory. Mine has the throttle lock, and it works well for the superslab rides.
        Yes, it handles well, it's FAST, and I get about 12K on a set of tires. But with the T-Rex bars on it, it's 1/2 hour of pulling steel and plastic to start doing anything. I'm not sure if the FJR is any better, but I'm going for the Super Tenere as a replacement ride anyway. I'm looking at doing a little more dirt roads with less automobile traffic.
        Ray Matteis
        KE6NHG
        XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
        XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

Hi Ray & Phil- I found a '10 (newer design) that I like a lot more. Private seller. I called the dealer selling the '09. Out the door, it was $4200. So, a lot less fees than the other dealer. However, I'm not a big fan of red/burgundy. I have a '93 GSX1100F in the color, and it's not my thing.

The '10 I found is that dark blue. Problem is that it's a 4-hr. drive from me. Not down the street. I'm in contact with the seller. He'll be sending a video of the bike, and pics.

We'll see . . .
          1979 XS1100F
          2H9 Mod, Truck-Lite LED Headlight, TECHNA-FIT S/S Brake Lines, Rear Air Shocks, TKAT Fork Brace, Dyna DC-I Coils, TC Fuse Block, Barnett HD Clutch Springs, Superbike Handlebars, V-Star 650 ACCT, NGK Irridium Plugs, OEM Exhaust. CNC-Cut 2nd Gear Dogs; Ported/Milled Head; Modded Airbox: 8x8 Wix Panel Filter; #137.5 Main Jet, Viper Yellow Paint, Michelin Pilot Activ F/R, Interstate AGM Battery, 14MM MC, Maier Fairing, Cree LED Fog Lights.

Comment

+1 on the Super T Ray! An awesome 'shaftie' on the 'slab' or off-road.....preferably 2012 or later.
            81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

Just make sure it's the ABS model! A "new" street bike without ABS is NOT worth the money, IMHO. I have a LOT of riding under my belt, and the ABS will out-brake me every time. That was one of the reasons I bought the '11. There was a Honda at the same dealer, about 3 years older and no ABS. It was probably a better bike overall, but after riding with ABS on my BMW I just will not ride a newer bike that does not have it. It and the traction control saved my bacon a few times going to work. My commute starts about sea level, up to 1,800', then back down in 20 miles. Fun but go into a corner and it's wet, or has sand or wet leaves on it!
              Ray Matteis
              KE6NHG

Comment

Well, I've made a deal on a 2010 Kawasaki Concours 14. I chose this model for a few reasons:

1. ABS & Traction control: I've test rode many bikes over the years, and found these two bits of technology to be the minimum amount of technology needed on my next bike. I can do without the fancy touchscreen displays, but ABS and traction control is necessary.

2. Heated grips: The '09 did not have them.

3. Styling: This is the year with newer styling, etc. I like it.

4. Color: I love the dark blue. Preference was anything over red or that weird bluish-gray of the '08. I like red, just not on my vehicles. I'll admire others

5. Alternator: At 590 watts, with 300+ being usable to accessories , it's more than enough for extra lights, heated gear, etc.

6. Quiet exhaust: at highway speeds, I want a more peaceful ride.

7. Power: It's not a ZX-14, but it's not a slouch.

8. Price: $4500. Not cheap, but cheaper than a new one, with not much more in change.

I plan-on adding cruise control. I think I want to pursue the Audiovox unit. If not, then Throttlemeister.

I don't do any LONG touring. But, this bike may push me for longer rides.

I still ride my Yammy, so it's just another bike in the rotation. This will be bike #33.
                1979 XS1100F

Comment

pics or it didnt happen...LOL Congrats Ian..enjoy the Connie..
                  1980 XS650G Special-Two
                  1993 Honda ST1100

Comment

I grab it tonight.
                    1979 XS1100F

Comment

Well, I bought it. $4500. 26k on the engine. Don't know the maintenance history, but the dings/scratches are minimal. I polished the plastic this afternoon. Pulls like a freight train! I'll look into various mods, including:

-Cruise control
                      -Better seat (stock seat is AWFUL)
                      -Better windscreen
                      ECU flash (after gear changes, throttle is too snatchy)
                      -Possible exhaust swap to ZX-14 stock system
                      -Brake light modulator
                      -HID conversion with projectors
                      -Running lights
                      -LED fog lights

https://drive.google.com/folderview?..._9iK8tsYXQ2B-7
                      1979 XS1100F

Comment

I "fixed" the seat on my Connie. Stock is open cell foam, formed and setting on the plastic seat pan. I put a 1" sheet of closed cell foam on the pan, cut a little off the drivers part of the seat and put a second 1" pad there. Pulled the stock cover back over and stapled it down. Looks stock, rides VERY well for about $30. (Yeah, I'm cheap!)
                        CeeBaily windscreen can't be beat IMHO. Had one the the BMW, and now on the Connie. Very nice to ride behind on long trips, but still plenty of air around town when lowered.
                        I replaced the plastic "luggage rack" with an aluminum one, and moved the rear light assembly back under it. It's much better than the stock position with the Givi box I have. I also installed the brake LEDs into the Givi to try and keep people awake.
                        Ray Matteis
                        KE6NHG

Comment

Congrats on the new addition Ian, hope you get her dialed in to your liking.

I still ride my Yammy, so it's just another bike in the rotation. This will be bike #33.
                          I knew you had quite a few bikes but WOW!! It's probably a topic for another thread but I bet there's a lot of us that would like to see a list what all you own. How many miles per year do you ride living in a northern climate? And how in the world are you able to keep that many bikes up?? Keep on Keepin' On!
                          Billy

1982 XJ1100, Ceramic Coated Headers, Raptor ACCT, Barnett Clutch Springs, Dremmel Fix, TC's Fuse Block, De-Linked S/S Brake Lines, 850 Final Drive, Yahman's YICS Eliminator, Pods, stock jets

Comment

Originally posted by BillyRok View Post
                            Congrats on the new addition Ian, hope you get her dialed in to your liking.

I knew you had quite a few bikes but WOW!! It's probably a topic for another thread but I bet there's a lot of us that would like to see a list what all you own. How many miles per year do you ride living in a northern climate? And how in the world are you able to keep that many bikes up??
                            Keep on Keepin' On!
                            Hey Billy... i would think that total spans Ian's motorcycling "career" and not the actual number he has in his garage...One would think...
                            Ian: your google link does not work....
                            1980 XS650G Special-Two
                            1993 Honda ST1100

Comment

Ian,
                              Congrats! You made a great choice, and sounds like a great deal for that mileage.
                              Let me know if you decide to put cruise on it. Not a big deal.
                              Less than $300, put a Rostra kit on it. I've done several installs, including my own. Electronic cruise, just like a car. I have all details you'll need to get the job done, as well as electrical schematic and parts list.

A C14 has a major advantage over any other newer bike on the market.
                              It has the ability to be covered under the KTPP (Kawasaki) warranty plan for up to 9 years. Trick is, before the first 3 yr. warranty expires, it has to be re-upped for $350. If the original owner didn't do this, (but most do...) it's too late.
                              I have those details, if you need them.

Aftermarket is huge for this bike. A big plus.

As for maintenance, purchase a shop manual. It gives every detail you'll ever need.

Problem areas most C14's have- Not many, but here's a few...
                              Leaky valve cover gasket. Left side. Leaks a small amount when parked and on kick stand. Easy fix.

Speedometers that read 3mph fast. Both handling and speed readout can be improved by changing rear tire size to 190-55ZR17 from 50.

As for valve adjustments, they are a challenge. But there's a guy in Texas named Fred Harmon who has videos for sale that walks you through it. Many owners do it themselves. A dealer usually screws ya, and charges $1k to do it, only to say "all were in spec." Individuals who do them themselves find more than a few out of spec within the first 20,000 miles.

Leaky rear FD seal... I have 45,000 miles on mine now and no issues. Some have. I change my FD oil at every 3000 miles along with my engine oil, and believe it helps keep grit out, and prolongs the seals.

Warped front brake rotors- this is an issue. Don't waste time having them replaced under warranty. Believe it or not, buy the Chinese made rotors.
                              They are excellent! I was concerned, but several owners on COG assured me they were great, and they were right. Stay away from EBC semi-metallic pads. Too noisy! Brakes are easy, front wheel removal's a breeze. Buy the tool for the large allen bolt head.

Standard maintenance on these bikes are a breeze! Oil changes, a snap.
                              Remove rear wheel? 5 minutes.

Stock seats suck. If you have long legs, a Russel Day Long is good. Not so much for short inseams. Same with Baldwin.
                              Stay away from Corbin. Looks good, love the look of the solo/Smuggler trunk... hard as a brick and expensive w/ horrible CS.
                              I use the Kawasaki Gel Seat. $250 off Ebay. Great cover, great seat, works for 12 hr. days.

Replace the rear plastic rack. Guy in Texas sells awesome CNC milled ones. They will work with removeable trunks.
                              Givi trunks are nice, but save the bucks and get the Bestem TBox...$75. It's a Givi knockoff. Excellent choice, and has LED lights. I added extra LED lights in the red banded area.

Also, there's a guy in Florida, Steve Sesfick, with Shoodabeen Engineering that will flash your CPU. Get 'er done! Big improvement in smoothness, economy, and power delivery.

Again, congrats! Let me know if you want additional info. I've learned a lot after owning mine for the padt 6+ years. As for longevity, there's a guy in NE Arkansas that has owned an '08 since new, has over 200,000 miles on his, and rides twisties like his hair's on fire! They will outlast you, so don't worry about reliability! These are fantastic bikes. I'd buy another one in a heartbeat!
                              Love mine.
                              Ride safe, buddy!
                              Bob
                              '82 XJ1100J Maxim (has been sold.)

'79 F "Time Machine"... oh yeah, Baby.... (Sold back to Maximan)

2011 Kaw Concours 14 ABS

In the warden's words from Cool Hand Luke;
                              "What we have here is a failure to communicate."

Comment

Working...
                              X