New 2018 Heritage Classic 114 FLHCS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm not a mechanic, but I don't think this looks right

But I am an engineer and wonder if this was one of those Morton-Thiokol please don't push the button deals.
    Sales, Marketing and Accounting folks are lousy engineers. bang-pop-grind-crunch-snap

Sure make for a fun ride, WOT up i-5 and have this happen

Jeff

Originally posted by 3Phase View Post
    What an M8 looks like when the balancer grenades the case during a dyno run:-

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/milwaukee-eight-m8/1172811-new-m8-blown.html

Harley Davidson Forums > Harley Davidson Motorcycles > Milwaukee Eight (M8) > New M8 Blown

The picture's from a 1st Gen M8 with the single balancer, Nanuk has two so I may get to enjoy her kisses:
    78' XS1100 E
    78' XS1100 E
    78' XS1100 E

'73 Norton 850 Commando
    '99 Triumph Sprint ST
    '02 G-Wing GL1800

Comment

Originally posted by Bonz View Post
      Scott, is a reflash part of the upgrade to the 117? Meaning, would there already have been one? Take it back to them and tell them you don’t like the black exhaust color, that you preferred the tan from the stock set up. See what they say.
      The mechanic flashed the ECU with the Screamin' Eagle tuner after installing the kit. I honestly don't know what can be changed with the tuner besides fuel/air/timing or if the dealer can tweak the factory-supplied map. The tuner itself is a separate but required purchase and it's 'married' to the bike with a superduper top-secret cryptographic secure handshake the first time it's introduced to the bike so it can't be used on another machine.

What that all boils down to is that if the dealer can't LEGALLY tweak the CARB/EPA approved factory maps, I'd have to buy a second ECU and marry it to a second tuner if I want to fool with the bike, then put the original ECU back in before getting within a hundred miles of a dealership. That's moderately expensive, annoying, time-consuming, and pretty much violates a slew of State, and Federal laws right along with the warranty seventeen ways to Sunday so I think I'll pass and find something else to do.

Screamin' Eagle Pro Street Tuner | Part# 41000008C | $299.95

Something Else To Do

This weekend I've been setting up a Hall effect Volt/Ammeter. The Voltmeter part works in the temporary test configuration but I haven't put the tank back on yet. I'll be giving it a test fire later on this morning when it won't bug the neighbors but I still have to find a place to hook up the power for the LED display before I button it up and I don't want to hack up the wiring harness to do it. There are, of course, several wiring kits available from Harley for connecting Parts&Accessories to the P&A connector in the harness.

The Meter

bayite
      DC 5-120V 100A Mini Digital Current Voltage Amp Meter Ammeter Gauge with Hall Effect Sensor Transformer
      Price: $17.98

Check the fit on the bike for the Hall effect sender

Remove the connector pins and string an old silicone XS1100 pick-up coil wiring sheath to protect the ribbon cable

Pull the sheathed cable through the frame backbone

The Voltmeter part works with the LED display temporarily jacked into the P&A connector

No, the display is not weatherproof, it's open in the back so I have to find or fab a case that allows me to press the button on the back for changing the display modes

Now it's off to the garage to see if the engine cranks and the ammeter works or if I've jacked up the security system by fooling around with the battery and fuses and locked myself out of the bike.
      -- Scott
      _____

2004 ST1300A: No name... yet
      1982 XJ1100J: "Baby" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
      1980 XS1100G: "Columbo" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
      1979 XS1100SF: "Bush" W.I.P.
      1979 XS1100F: parts
      2018 Heritage Softail Classic 117 FLHCS SE: "Nanuk" It's DEAD, it's not just resting. It is an EX cycle.

Comment

Originally posted by JeffH View Post
        I'm not a mechanic, but I don't think this looks right

But I am an engineer and wonder if this was one of those Morton-Thiokol please don't push the button deals.
        Sales, Marketing and Accounting folks are lousy engineers. bang-pop-grind-crunch-snap

Sure make for a fun ride, WOT up i-5 and have this happen

Jeff
        Jeff, according to the thread over on the HD forum, the OP wasn't sure about the details except that it happened to someone else on decel after a dyno pull.
        There is a scissor gear on the balancer that's supposed to help smooth the shock loads but the balancer managed to kiss a connecting rod and went kerblooey.

That's yet-another-reason I want to stay away from independent, third-party shops, tunes and dynos and stick to the dealer.
        If it happens out on the road or if one of their mechanics blows it up in their shop, it's probably covered; another shop not so much:

The MoCo: You did what and expect us to fix it after we told you in writing not to do that?

Luser with blown engine: Well, yeah, pretty please with sugar on top? I'll be your best friend!
        -- Scott
        _____

2018 Heritage Softail Classic 117 FLHCS SE: "Nanuk" It's DEAD, it's not just resting. It is an EX cycle.

Comment

Any concerns about hurting the warranty as it relates to anything electronic and subsidiary functions with that voltmeter?

Refresh me, what warranty do you have on the bike?
          Howard

ZRX1200

BTW, ZRX carbs have the same spacing as the XS11... http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread.php?t=35462

Comment

He should NOT have any problems, as there is NO CONNECTION between the sensor and the wire harness. The big thing is getting a waterproof case that he can still operate the switch between the volt and amp settings.
            Ray Matteis
            KE6NHG
            XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
            XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

Originally posted by Bonz View Post
              Any concerns about hurting the warranty as it relates to anything electronic and subsidiary functions with that voltmeter?

Refresh me, what warranty do you have on the bike?
              I've already talked to the dealer and the mechanics, as long as I use the correct Harley harness parts and switchgear to install accessories and don't try to run a 5-ton bumper winch to hoist a lighted disco ball over a stack of field amps I'm good to go.

Right now, the warranty is 5 years and unlimited mileage for most repairs along with recovering the bike to a dealer; cost reimbursement for eats and sleeps while-u-wait; wheel and tire coverage; battery coverage.

I can add up to two more years and make it 7 years extended.

Originally posted by DiverRay View Post
              He should NOT have any problems, as there is NO CONNECTION between the sensor and the wire harness. The big thing is getting a waterproof case that he can still operate the switch between the volt and amp settings.
              The waterproof housing is in the works.

The meter's not mounted and connected yet, it's going to rain and I don't have the Harley harness and switches yet anyway but it's going to look good when it's finished.

The sensor on the negative battery cable

The protective sheath tied off to keep it out of mischief

It works and the rightmost dot shows it's negative for an 8.8 Amp discharge from the battery with the engine not running

Back together and running with just the Overnight soft bag

I'm on the way to the dealer to order an accessory harness and some switches and housing for the Volt/Amp meter (it can show Amps, Volts, or cycle between the two), my GPS, and a relay for some heated gear.

Auxiliary Accessory Switch Housing Kit_70248-02B

Auxiliary On/Off Switch 71718-02

Auxiliary On/Off Switch 71718-02 mounted in a chrome housing
              -- Scott
              _____

Comment

Yes! I'm keeping the old ones!

I hope this link/picture/video sharing stuff is fixed. It works for me but it's my Onedrive account and I haven't had the best luck trying to use it for sharing images and videos on websites.

A pair of new Squealing Beagle Street Cannon mufflers replaced the stock mufflers after 4,000 miles. So far, so good, but I need to go for a long ride to make sure they're really working :-

Onedrive Album for Wednesday, April 18, 2018

I haven't checked the stock mufflers yet to see if there's a creative way to make them fit my XS or XJ but I'm not throwing them out!
                -- Scott
                _____

Comment

Those pipes look great..Nice job Scott....Of all the Harleys that I'm not interested in..this is the 1st model in all these years that has me actually liking this machine and wishing i had one..My Bandit is ok but it is not comfortable for me to ride even 40 miles...I would need to win the lottery first though...
                  1980 XS650G Special-Two
                  1993 Honda ST1100

Comment

Originally posted by madmax-im View Post
                    Those pipes look great..Nice job Scott....Of all the Harleys that I'm not interested in..this is the 1st model in all these years that has me actually liking this machine and wishing i had one..My Bandit is ok but it is not comfortable for me to ride even 40 miles...I would need to win the lottery first though...
                    Thank you, Ben!

The stock seat and the ride/position is all-day-long comfortable. I could shell out megabucks for a 'better' Harley or custom aftermarket seat and suspension but it doesn't need it.

I really did not want to change the mufflers. The stock ones were working fine, they weren't too loud and there was a pleasant cam'd engine heartbeat on the highway. I'm keeping them to see if they'll fit an XS or XJ.

Unfortunately, the tech has informed me that the stock mufflers are too restrictive for the engine upgrade so it was building heat over time and distance. After a while, I'd crack open the throttle and... nothing. Downshift and... still nothing but at higher RPMs.

Not. Good. Pulling over, then letting it idle a bit before shutting it off to cool down made it all stupid-giant-drooling-wagging-puppy-happy again when I restarted it.

(sigh) I finally gave up and bought the darn new mufflers like the tech politely kept suggesting and I just as politely kept ignoring.

They are louder.

I have a long-distance trip coming up this week and I'll see if that fixed the problem or if the tech's going to have some spendy new chrome suppositories with decorative black end-caps.
                    -- Scott
                    _____

Comment

I strolled into a HD dealer waiting on new tires next door. Sat on that exact model/color and it was very nearly divorce-worthy. Felt just perfect for my 6 3 height.

But the deal I made with my better half doesn’t include dipping into the shared $$.

It was the nicest feeling ergonomics since I rode a 2002 Moto Guzze EV. Fit like a glove.

Keep posting about it plz.

Steve

Thank you, Ben!

The stock seat and the ride/position is all-day-long comfortable. I could shell out megabucks for a 'better' Harley or custom aftermarket seat and suspension but it doesn't need it.

I really did not want to change the mufflers. The stock ones were working fine, they weren't too loud and there was a pleasant cam'd engine heartbeat on the highway. I'm keeping them to see if they'll fit an XS or XJ.

Unfortunately, the tech has informed me that the stock mufflers are too restrictive for the engine upgrade so it was building heat over time and distance. After a while, I'd crack open the throttle and... nothing. Downshift and... still nothing but at higher RPMs.

Not. Good. Pulling over, then letting it idle a bit before shutting it off to cool down made it all stupid-giant-drooling-wagging-puppy-happy again when I restarted it.

(sigh) I finally gave up and bought the darn new mufflers like the tech politely kept suggesting and I just as politely kept ignoring.

They are louder.

I have a long-distance trip coming up this week and I'll see if that fixed the problem or if the tech's going to have some spendy new chrome suppositories with decorative black end-caps.
                      Steve R

'80 SG
                      "Fred" -- TC fuse box, stock airbox/exhaust/jets, SS brake lines, Windjammer V fairing, Cibie headlight lens, TKAT fork brace, Showa rear shocks, MikesXS emulators

Former bikes:

1973 Yamaha 125 Enduro (brother's but I 'borrowed' it a lot, usually after midnight)
                      1978 XS400E Red
                      1981 XS850 Special (Stingo)

Comment

Originally posted by Bergman16 View Post
                        I strolled into a HD dealer waiting on new tires next door. Sat on that exact model/color and it was very nearly divorce-worthy. Felt just perfect for my 6 3 height.

But the deal I made with my better half doesn’t include dipping into the shared $$.

It was the nicest feeling ergonomics since I rode a 2002 Moto Guzze EV. Fit like a glove.

Keep posting about it plz.

Steve
                        I sat on the Heritage, then went for a test ride and bought it on the spot.

I'm making a run to 'Vegas to check the engine with the new mufflers and to wish a friend Happy Birthday, this should be good.

'Guzzi was on my short list along with the FJ11 but the years of incompetence and horsefeathers they blew up my exhaust with my XS11s and the XJ11 at the local Yamaha dealership along with their mechanics also completely blew any chance of a sale. On fun days I think about doing donuts in their parking lot and flying the universal sign of brotherhood and friendship but they're not worth the rubber or the gesture; just smile and wave, boy, smile and wave.
                        -- Scott
                        _____

Comment

I sat on the Heritage, then went for a test ride and bought it on the spot.

I'm making a run to 'Vegas to check the engine with the new mufflers and to wish a friend Happy Birthday, this should be good.

'Guzzi was on my short list along with the FJ11 but the years of incompetence and horsefeathers they blew up my exhaust with my XS11s and the XJ11 at the local Yamaha dealership along with their mechanics also completely blew any chance of a sale. On fun days I think about doing donuts in their parking lot and flying the universal sign of brotherhood and friendship but they're not worth the rubber or the gesture; just smile and wave, boy, smile and wave.
                          My Mom always said." Living well is the best revenge"
                          1980 XS650G Special-Two
                          1993 Honda ST1100

Comment

Working...
                          X