Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New 2018 Heritage Classic 114 FLHCS

I picked up a new bike yesterday.

I wandered back into the Harley dealership on Sunday afternoon to look at something to ride for long distance. I was looking at the new Road Kings when the salesman had to go out to the shop with another customer and left me all alone in a room full of shiny motorcycles.

What could possibly go wrong?

After sitting on a bunch of new 2018 bikes that looked a lot like the 2017 bikes, I spotted a good-looking machine with an interesting number on the engine that wasn't dressed up like a shark or a bat or a seal. Hmm, it didn't look like they had finished painting it yet but it had the new 114 engine in it, not the 107 like the other bikes. I thought, "Maybe it's a marketing thing and you get to pick the color you want them to paint it after you buy it."

When the salesman came back, I was informed that it was a completely new model for 2018 that was, indeed, painted and that it was a new "Red Denim" finish, not "Primer Coat". Silly me....

So, I went for a test ride and bought it on the spot. After buying a broke-back bike from Yamaha and being told, "Gee, that's too bad about the frame, you should get that fixed!" I left my new bike at the dealer overnight for the mechanics to do the final delivery prep, then I picked it up Monday morning and went riding.

Naturally, the first thing I did was take it up one of my favorite local roads, Black Canyon. Yes, the footboards scraped on a few corners but the new frame just worked with that 114" engine to put a grin on my face.

2018 Heritage Classic 114 FLHCS

I discovered that the footboards have a little metal stud that makes noise when you lean a little too far, like the pad wear sensor on disk brakes. It sounds scary when they scrape but the boards fold up and there's still plenty of lean angle left once you figure out what's been hitting the road. I should put a couple of urethane skateboard wheels on there.

Left side

Right side

At 80 MPH, the engine's just beginning to think about 3K so the RPM limit's kind of moot. The front forks are adequate for a ~700 lb light street cruiser but they dive on hard braking and they're not adjustable unless you take them apart and change the guts. The new softail frame does have a hydraulically adjustable monoshock that I haven't messed with yet. There are 5 numbered lines for more or less weight but it works fine the way it came dialed out to "1" for a solo rider so I left it alone. I rode out to the beach and through a lot more twisties on Decker Canyon and Mulholland Highway, then split traffic on the freeway most of the way home.

The engine idles around 850 RPM. The gas tank has a real gas cap and a fake gas cap, I need to get one of those ubiquitous skull decals to mark the fake one so I don't try to put gas in it.

The beach looks pretty good.

Hey, my bike looks pretty good too!

After a few days of riding, there are no oil leaks.

My new favorite picture is my new bike parked in my driveway.
    -- Scott
    _____

2004 ST1300A: No name... yet
    1982 XJ1100J: "Baby" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
    1980 XS1100G: "Columbo" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
    1979 XS1100SF: "Bush" W.I.P.
    1979 XS1100F: parts
    2018 Heritage Softail Classic 117 FLHCS SE: "Nanuk" It's DEAD, it's not just resting. It is an EX cycle.

New bike

Hey Scott,
    did it come with the matching bags ?
    Must have me thinks.
    Looks old but it's new and I bet finger prints don't show on that finish ?
    You really must add it into your signature and since I don't see an I in the model designation it must be a carburetor ?
    I've heard the FI bikes just don't or can't sound like the real thing ?
    76 XS650 C ROADSTER
    80 XS650 G Special II
    https://ibb.co/album/icbGgF
    80 XS 1100 SG
    81 XS 1100LH/SH DARKHORSE
    https://tinyurl.com/k6nzvtw
    AKA; Don'e, UD, Unca Don'e

Comment

Looks nice! and glad you live in a place you can actually ride it..........don't think I could get a new bike up here it rains way to much.
      79 SF

Comment

Originally posted by 3Phase View Post

Left side

Hey, my bike looks pretty good too!

Going shopping can be dangerous.

Not that much of a surprise though. Its nice to have something to ride that isn't a constant hassle or en-route worry.

As for those floorboard pegs:
        As Helen Reddy would say in song, "Ain't No Way to Treat a Lady"

Nice bike. Color works well. Its YOU.

Jeff
        78' XS1100 E
        78' XS1100 E
        78' XS1100 E

'73 Norton 850 Commando
        '99 Triumph Sprint ST
        '02 G-Wing GL1800

Comment

Jeff, it had to be done, you know? Now I know what Nanuk (Inuit name for a polar bear, the smartest and largest bear on the planet) will and won't do once she's been fed and bedded. No, she doesn't have the Goldwing total rider envelope but she was made to be ridden and the tits are a service item that can be replaced.

Originally posted by donebysunday View Post
          Hey Scott,
          did it come with the matching bags ?
          Must have me thinks.
          Looks old but it's new and I bet finger prints don't show on that finish ?
          You really must add it into your signature and since I don't see an I in the model designation it must be a carburetor ?
          I've heard the FI bikes just don't or can't sound like the real thing ?
          Hey, Don! Do you still need that shifter spring? I completely forgot about it!

All the new engines are FI, no more carburetors so the EPA is mostly happy.

The Heritage has the matching bags and a detachable windshield. I can pick up some quick-mount fittings for a top box or a backrest with a luggage rack that really should have come with the bike. The paint and everything else is made to be used and it's for riding, not resting daintily upon a pedestal in the livingroom/shrine and worshipped several times a day.

Simi Valley Harley Davidson: 2018 Heritage Classic 114

In the video I made at the top of the hill, my gloves are sitting on the seat. I started the engine, walked around the bike to blip the throttle, then walked back and the gloves didn't budge. The seat is comfortable too, I haven't made any real trips trip yet but so far it's potatoes all day long.

The 114 engine for the new Softail line has two balancers so it's 100% balanced and it's bolted directly to the frame. The regular 107 M8 engine in the touring line and the $50,000 CVO dream machines with the 114 engine, 117 for this year, have a single balancer so they're 75% balanced and rubber-mounted.

I'm getting older and I didn't buy a drag bike so I don't give two hoots or a holler about the missing noise or the whole lot'a shaking that used to go on, it sounds good to me when I crack the throttle with smooth, almost bottomless torque but it's civilized enough that it doesn't tee off the neighbors. With that monster M8 engine in a Softail, think Chrysler Hemi in a Chevy Vega with sleeper cans on the exhaust and enough space to get groceries or head out across the country with >50 MPG.

Originally posted by spectra View Post
          Looks nice! and glad you live in a place you can actually ride it..........don't think I could get a new bike up here it rains way to much.
          Thanks! I'm one of the only people in Ventura county to have one of these puppies and I'm definitely glad that I live somewhere I can ride year-round! The Heritage is Harley's lightest touring machine, it's a little heavier than my XS/XJ11s but it has a lower center of gravity and even though it's bleeding edge tech for Harley, they do have parts available.

There's a 114 to 117 stage IV upgrade kit at the dealership that I'm thinking about buying and it would be covered under the original warranty if I have them install it. After I get off the 'net I'm heading over to the dealer to talk with the mechanic about cams, pistons, exhaust, intake, injectors, throttle body, pipes, tuning, and gas mileage. I don't want to be one of those guys that buys a new bike, then throws parts at it and gives away the gas mileage and the exhaust on eBay. The stock exhaust looks good and it matches the bike, it already has the cat' in the muffler to move the heat away from my right leg and as one guy described the header pipes, it doesn't look like a chrome snake swallowed a Pringles can.

The oil bag has been moved too, it's down behind the engine now instead of up under the seat to keep you warm in the summer.
          -- Scott
          _____

2018 Heritage Softail Classic 117 FLHCS SE: "Nanuk" It's DEAD, it's not just resting. It is an EX cycle.

Comment

Hey Scott

Its nice to know that you bought something new that you like to ride and that you can ride it all year round with fun twisties in your back yard.

Will you be riding the HD to XSSE next year? If so, glad I was able to see your XJ this year.

Ride safe...
            82 XJ1100 - sold
            96 Honda Magna 750 - Girlfriend's bike
            2000 ZRX1100 - sold
            2003 FJR1300 - Silver rocket

Comment

WOW!! Looks like a nice bike. You should be able to ride when you want now, without worries about finding parts if something breaks. Maybe you can ride it up this way, and Ed and I can drool over it!
              Ray Matteis
              KE6NHG
              XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
              XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

Originally posted by HalfCentury View Post
                Hey Scott

Its nice to know that you bought something new that you like to ride and that you can ride it all year round with fun twisties in your back yard.

Will you be riding the HD to XSSE next year? If so, glad I was able to see your XJ this year.

Ride safe...
                Thanks! That was the plan when I started looking at new bikes!

After the fiasco with the bad frame on the XJ they sold me, Yamaha talked themselves right out of selling a new FJR1300 when the mechanic didn't know anything about the new flight computer and software but tried to sound like he did. Oh well, maybe I'll go do some donuts in their parking lot.

I just got home from the dealer and I decided to be a guinea pig. Everything will be rolled into the factory warranty and the upgrade kit is bolt-on parts that can be changed without yanking the engine, they should have the work done on Saturday. The kits and the engine itself are still pretty new so I doubt there's a lot of tuning experience yet to fall back on, I'll get to ride it this weekend and find out if they know what they're doing.

The air cleaner is already good to go. The kit should work with the stock exhaust so I can keep the pipes and the mufflers but the engine will still have the "114" logos instead of "Screaming Eagle" all over everything. I'll have to break out a magic marker or something to black out part of the "4" and make a cute "7".

I do have a car but I haven't driven for years now except for my bikes. I'll have to put the new engine back in it and finish it up before winter really sets in and I have to put on a t-shirt to go outside. Brrr....
                -- Scott
                _____

Comment

Originally posted by DiverRay View Post
                  WOW!! Looks like a nice bike. You should be able to ride when you want now, without worries about finding parts if something breaks. Maybe you can ride it up this way, and Ed and I can drool over it!
                  I was going to call you after you got off work and see what y'all are doing this weekend, I have to find out how the seat feels over time and distance.
                  -- Scott
                  _____

Comment

I'm always busy, but I'll give Ed a heads up and let Pete know, as he's back in town for a few months.
                    Oh, I can still find some time to ride.
                    Ray Matteis
                    KE6NHG
                    XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
                    XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

Scott, bettin' the deal breaker was how those side cases unlatched to open.......and would imagine the rear cyl. is water cooled with the radiator.
                      Last edited by motoman; 10-19-2017, 05:26 PM.
                      81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

Originally posted by DiverRay View Post
                        I'm always busy, but I'll give Ed a heads up and let Pete know, as he's back in town for a few months.
                        Oh, I can still find some time to ride.
                        Right on, maybe we can find another poker run and we can take all the money and the good trophies again.

Originally posted by motoman View Post
                        Scott, bettin' the deal breaker was how those side cases unlatched to open.......and would imagine the rear cyl. is water cooled with the radiator.
                        Those fantastic hard bags with the easy touch opener cost an unbelievable amount of money, a lot more than the soft bags on the Heritage. It'd be nice to have a set though so I'm going to keep an eye on eBay, some knucklehead will be selling 'em off to make a buck and buy leather bags with bells and fringes or to make a bobber/flat track/cafe/whatever out of a touring frame. I don't see them listed in the catalog but you have to be able to buy them without a motorcycle preattached at the factory.

The Softail and a lot of mid-range touring bike engines are all oil cooled so there's an oil cooler but no radiator or coolant reservoir. I think there's a high dollar CVO model with just oil cooling too, no water cooling because it's not a touring machine.
                        -- Scott
                        _____

Comment

Nice!!!!

Congrats Scott, I figured it was just a matter of time and money until you got a new ride, and cure the cross country" do I make it all the way and back without issues" on our ol Ymmies. Sounds like HD got a great engine and cured all the issues over the last few years,,,so Congrats again, like the Wiz, used to say,,,,if it feels good between your legs, ride the heck out of it and enjoy the ride

Mike in Sun Diego
                          mike
                          1982 xj1100 maxim
                          1981 venture bagger
                          1999 Kawi Nomad 1500 greenie
                          1959 wife

Comment

Nanuk is home, I picked her up this afternoon so I'm heading up PCH to Salinas tomorrow morning to have some fun.

Mark, the mechanic at SVHD, came in early this morning and dove into it.
                            When I meandered on over there around 10 AM, he already had the new heads on and before lunchtime, he was buttoning down the seat and bags.

Picking up my bike: Me, Mark, and the service manager, Chad

Externally, the difference is not obvious unless you look very closely at the heads.

Stock 114 heads

New 117 heads with Screamin' Eagle and CNC lettering

How does she sound now with the OEM intake and mufflers instead of Screamin' Eagle parts?
                            Larger potatoes, not mashed, with an easy cam lope at idle and some definite bass that's quiet enough for the neighbors but speaks quite clearly on open throttle.

Power?
                            That's not primer paint, that special kind of red is from catching and eating sharks for breakfast!

Mark said he's done six or seven 114 to 117 upgrades but this was his first Softail and he liked it. A lot.
                            -- Scott
                            _____

Comment

Hi Scott,
                              Congratulations on the new ride. Hope to see it in person next year.
                              Phil
                              1981 XS1100 H Venturer ( Addie)
                              1983 XJ 650 Maxim
                              2004 Kawasaki Concours. ( Black Bear)

Comment

Working...
                              X