No announcement yet.

interested in a suzuki bandit 1200

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Carbureted vs. fuel injected is also a major issue for a commuter that has to have a working bike every day. Carbureted bikes occasionally have to be torn down and that may hinder using it as a reliable commuter.

Not long ago, it was pointed out to me that I spent way more time working on my XJ1100 than I ever spent riding it. That was a major reason to eventually sell it and stop the repairs time sink.
    82 XJ1100 - sold
    96 Honda Magna 750 - Girlfriend's bike
    2000 ZRX1100 - sold
    2003 FJR1300 - Silver rocket

Comment

The problem with the xs11 is that I spend a lot of time sitting at red lights and it gets about 25-28 MPG and the exhaust fumes make me nauseous. I checked the plugs and one cyl is running pretty rich but even if I fix that I doubt I'm going to start getting 42 mpg.
      100% of my riding is driving on city streets. I also run a lot of errands on the bike as I am a busy father with 3 little kids.
      There doesn't seem to be anyone else on the forum using an xs11 as a pure city commuter . It's meant for the open road!
      1979 XS1100SF 37000km
      Green Dyna Coils
      Stainless Brake Lines

1973 CB100
      kevXS

Comment

Originally posted by HalfCentury View Post
        The NC700 gets 60+ mpg. It is specifically designed for fuel economy. It will not drive anything like the XS1100. It is considered a very good commuter but many reviewers consider it to be boring to ride.

I have considered getting a lighter bike and have researched the NC700 and talked with some dealers and looked on Craigslist.

After lots of considering, I may drift toward one of the new Yamaha 900cc variants or maybe a Kawi 900RS. Spring/summer 2018 will include some demo rides.
        Get on a the GSX-S1000!!! Great ride! The FZ-10 is a beast too.
        1979 XS1100F
        2H9 Mod, Truck-Lite LED Headlight, TECHNA-FIT S/S Brake Lines, Rear Air Shocks, TKAT Fork Brace, Dyna DC-I Coils, TC Fuse Block, Barnett HD Clutch Springs, Superbike Handlebars, V-Star 650 ACCT, NGK Irridium Plugs, OEM Exhaust. CNC-Cut 2nd Gear Dogs; Ported/Milled Head; Modded Airbox: 8x8 Wix Panel Filter; #137.5 Main Jet, Viper Yellow Paint, Michelin Pilot Activ F/R, Interstate AGM Battery, 14MM MC, Maier Fairing, Cree LED Fog Lights.

Comment

Originally posted by kevxs View Post
          The problem with the xs11 is that I spend a lot of time sitting at red lights and it gets about 25-28 MPG and the exhaust fumes make me nauseous. I checked the plugs and one cyl is running pretty rich but even if I fix that I doubt I'm going to start getting 42 mpg.
          100% of my riding is driving on city streets. I also run a lot of errands on the bike as I am a busy father with 3 little kids.
          There doesn't seem to be anyone else on the forum using an xs11 as a pure city commuter . It's meant for the open road!
          I agree. My daily bikes have soft bags on them, and I'd never give them up! So dang convenient!
          1979 XS1100F
          2H9 Mod, Truck-Lite LED Headlight, TECHNA-FIT S/S Brake Lines, Rear Air Shocks, TKAT Fork Brace, Dyna DC-I Coils, TC Fuse Block, Barnett HD Clutch Springs, Superbike Handlebars, V-Star 650 ACCT, NGK Irridium Plugs, OEM Exhaust. CNC-Cut 2nd Gear Dogs; Ported/Milled Head; Modded Airbox: 8x8 Wix Panel Filter; #137.5 Main Jet, Viper Yellow Paint, Michelin Pilot Activ F/R, Interstate AGM Battery, 14MM MC, Maier Fairing, Cree LED Fog Lights.

Comment

Test drove a nc700s today. Interesting bike but you guys are right, it is really hard to get into something like that after riding the xs11 for so long.
            It felt very weird to drive. Very narrow bars, very short wheelbase, really unusual feeling engine. I'm sure I could get used to it but I'm not inspired to buy one at all now.
            Looks like a better give the xs11 a tune up and keep driving it cause it's just such a pleasure to ride. I appreciate it all the more today!
            1979 XS1100SF 37000km
            Green Dyna Coils
            Stainless Brake Lines

1973 CB100
            kevXS

Comment

I'm recalling when I drove my xs11 down the block and back before I bought it, I immediately liked how it felt. Didn't get that impression today from the Honda that's for sure.
              1979 XS1100SF 37000km
              Green Dyna Coils
              Stainless Brake Lines

1973 CB100
              kevXS

Comment

Originally posted by IanDMacDonald View Post
                Get on a the GSX-S1000!!! Great ride! The FZ-10 is a beast too.
                I test drove an FZ-10 during the summer at a Yammy demo day. I did not like it. I did like the XSR900.

Next year I plan to try the other Yammy sport heritage bikes and try the new Kawi Z900RS.

82 XJ1100 - sold
                2000 ZRX1100 - sold

Comment

Originally posted by HalfCentury View Post
                  I test drove an FZ-10 during the summer at a Yammy demo day. I did not like it. I did like the XSR900.

Next year I plan to try the other Yammy sport heritage bikes and try the new Kawi Z900RS.

Kawasaki had "Z-world" at the expo. I rode both of the Z's, and thought they sucked. Funny you liked the XSR900 over the FZ-10. Gawddddd that FZ-10 was fun! But, at 30 mpg . . .
                  1979 XS1100F

Comment

Originally posted by IanDMacDonald View Post
                    Kawasaki had "Z-world" at the expo. I rode both of the Z's, and thought they sucked. Funny you liked the XSR900 over the FZ-10. Gawddddd that FZ-10 was fun! But, at 30 mpg . . .
                    I found that the FZ-10 was jumpy and that it sounded like a blender. Just a personal dislike. You have to consider that my workhorse if the FJR. The HP and power-to-weight ratio of the FZ-10 is not impressive per-se. If I owned one, I would have to modify the fuel map to make it smoother.

Long-term, I am thinking of owning something smaller and light enough to load into a van and drive it to places like Deals Gap or Denver Colorado, etc. The FJR is just too big for that sort of arrangement. And...someday I probably will not want to mess with the weight of the FJR.
                    82 XJ1100 - sold
                    2000 ZRX1100 - sold

Comment

Working...
                    X