interested in a suzuki bandit 1200

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• interested in a suzuki bandit 1200

hey anyone know anything about suzuki bandits? found a 2004 1200 with 53000km for $2000 and am interested it using it for my daily commuting downtown. reliability? city mpg?

they went fuel injected and water cooled in 2007. also wondering if since im looking at something more modern should i go all out and get fuel injected and water cooled. or should i stick with carbs and air cooled since i am already comfortable wrenching on that.

also wondering if i should just get a 650cc for my city driving. im 6'1 230lbs
    1979 XS1100SF 37000km
    Green Dyna Coils
    Stainless Brake Lines

1973 CB100
    kevXS

Hi Kevxs,
    Motorcycles can't sing on the streets of a city Quoting Gary.
    The 1200 bandit is a beast. I am sure you would enjoy riding it...out of the city.

A Kawi KLR 650 or something else nimble might keep you out of trouble.

Phil
    1981 XS1100 H Venturer ( Addie)
    1983 XJ 650 Maxim
    2004 Kawasaki Concours. ( Black Bear)

Comment

I have a slightly different perspective on the 1200 Bandit. I own a '93 Katana GSX1100. When a GSX engine goes for whatever reason (pretty bullet-proof though), a Bandit engine is a straight swap. However, even for a '93, the GSX put out around 130+ hp, where-as the modern Bandit engine put out below 100 hp. They're super-solid bikes, but the Bandit engine is kinda antiquated. It's a great bike though.

Personally, if I bought one, it'd be the 1250 Bandit of the 2007+ models, and I'd definitely go FI'd. I've rode both, and thought the 1250 was a faster, better bike. I'd never buy another carbed bike again.
      1979 XS1100F
      2H9 Mod, Truck-Lite LED Headlight, TECHNA-FIT S/S Brake Lines, Rear Air Shocks, TKAT Fork Brace, Dyna DC-I Coils, TC Fuse Block, Barnett HD Clutch Springs, Superbike Handlebars, V-Star 650 ACCT, NGK Irridium Plugs, OEM Exhaust. CNC-Cut 2nd Gear Dogs; Ported/Milled Head; Modded Airbox: 8x8 Wix Panel Filter; #137.5 Main Jet, Viper Yellow Paint, Michelin Pilot Activ F/R, Interstate AGM Battery, 14MM MC, Maier Fairing, Cree LED Fog Lights.

Comment

the reason i'm not loving the XS11 for commuting is that I get 30mpg at best and the fumes i'm putting out are pretty smelly, this town doesn't need more smog than it already has.
        should I assume that any decent sized bike will get poor mileage in city driving?
        1979 XS1100SF 37000km
        Green Dyna Coils
        Stainless Brake Lines

1973 CB100
        kevXS

Comment

No, not at all. I achieve 40 mpg's on my Daytona 955I, and my boss has a ZX-14 getting right around the same. However, the R1/FZ-10 is getting around 30 mpg's.
          1979 XS1100F
          2H9 Mod, Truck-Lite LED Headlight, TECHNA-FIT S/S Brake Lines, Rear Air Shocks, TKAT Fork Brace, Dyna DC-I Coils, TC Fuse Block, Barnett HD Clutch Springs, Superbike Handlebars, V-Star 650 ACCT, NGK Irridium Plugs, OEM Exhaust. CNC-Cut 2nd Gear Dogs; Ported/Milled Head; Modded Airbox: 8x8 Wix Panel Filter; #137.5 Main Jet, Viper Yellow Paint, Michelin Pilot Activ F/R, Interstate AGM Battery, 14MM MC, Maier Fairing, Cree LED Fog Lights.

Comment

In the city

Bikes are really not ideal for in and around commuting with stop and go traffic and low speed travel, traffic lights, etc. The constant "rowing" through the gears makes even manual transmission cages painful for daily city commuting.

Big scooters (650cc) are practical because you don't have to shift, they are easily balanced, can go up to 70+ MPH if needed and have a ton of storage for helmet, work clothes, groceries, etc. But...its a scooter.

A hydraulic clutch can make it easier and less painful to shift constantly. Wide gear ratios - like on the old Goldwings or Valkyries are also be a good feature - something that can run effectively at 1500 RPM to 5500 RPM in second gear.

Being seen is also a consideration. Lots of eye level lights can help - like on a rear cargo box. Goldwing is also good for this.
            80 SG

Comment

Fz6

been looking into a Yamaha FZ6 for my city commuting needs. Anyone have any knowledge / experience with that bike?
              1979 XS1100SF 37000km
              Green Dyna Coils
              Stainless Brake Lines

1973 CB100
              kevXS

Comment

Originally posted by kevxs View Post
                been looking into a Yamaha FZ6 for my city commuting needs. Anyone have any knowledge / experience with that bike?
                Yup, too small for my tastes. It'll work, but it's just . . . Blah. I like the FZ1.
                1979 XS1100F

Comment

seems the seat height is only 1 inch lower than the xs11,

I originally didn't consider a 600cc as I am 6'1 230lbs but since ALL my riding is just within the city I'm trying to find something more suitable.

Any other bigger riders have any experience riding a 600 or 650?

Anyone have any other suggestions for a good commuter bike?
                  1979 XS1100SF 37000km
                  Green Dyna Coils
                  Stainless Brake Lines

1973 CB100
                  kevXS

Comment

the cb500x looks intriguing too . . .
                    1979 XS1100SF 37000km
                    Green Dyna Coils
                    Stainless Brake Lines

1973 CB100
                    kevXS

Comment

I have a buddy who is 6'4" and rides a V-strom 650. He loves the bike for around town, but uses his BMW K1100 flying brick for longer rides. Oh, and here around town is almost anyplace in the county, as it's only about 70 miles the long direction.
                      Ray Matteis
                      KE6NHG
                      XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
                      XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

What happened with the Bandit? That's a great bike!
                        1979 XS1100F

Comment

i think i lost interest in the bandit because at the moment I'm keen to find the ultimate city commuter motorcycle.

i think i'm getting close, I have my eye on the NC700s or NC700x
                          1979 XS1100SF 37000km
                          Green Dyna Coils
                          Stainless Brake Lines

1973 CB100
                          kevXS

Comment

I guess I'm confused. What's wrong with the XS as a daily city commuter? It gets better gas mileage than most of your modern-day liter sport bikes. It's easy to handle, start/stop, etc. Save your money, and pamper your XS. I love mine. It gets all the love it wants & needs.
                            1979 XS1100F

Comment

Originally posted by IanDMacDonald View Post
                              I guess I'm confused. What's wrong with the XS as a daily city commuter? It gets better gas mileage than most of your modern-day liter sport bikes. It's easy to handle, start/stop, etc. Save your money, and pamper your XS. I love mine. It gets all the love it wants & needs.
                              The NC700 gets 60+ mpg. It is specifically designed for fuel economy. It will not drive anything like the XS1100. It is considered a very good commuter but many reviewers consider it to be boring to ride.

I have considered getting a lighter bike and have researched the NC700 and talked with some dealers and looked on Craigslist.

After lots of considering, I may drift toward one of the new Yamaha 900cc variants or maybe a Kawi 900RS. Spring/summer 2018 will include some demo rides.
                              Last edited by HalfCentury; 10-29-2017, 06:29 AM.
                              82 XJ1100 - sold
                              96 Honda Magna 750 - Girlfriend's bike
                              2000 ZRX1100 - sold
                              2003 FJR1300 - Silver rocket

Comment

Working...
                              X