Other vintage bikes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Other vintage bikes

Just wondering what other vintage bikes our esteemed members are riding or working on. Let's say through 1987 or so, and not limited to Yamahas. Pics are always appreciated! Also, any info on local, or national vintage rides and rallies would be of interest.

I'll be restoring a '72 Honda CB350F soon. My bikes date back to a 1965 Honda Cub 50 (C102A), bunch of CB's and XS's, etc.
    1979 XS1100F
    2H9 Mod, Truck-Lite LED Headlight, TECHNA-FIT S/S Brake Lines, Rear Air Shocks, TKAT Fork Brace, Dyna DC-I Coils, TC Fuse Block, Barnett HD Clutch Springs, Superbike Handlebars, V-Star 650 ACCT, NGK Irridium Plugs, OEM Exhaust. CNC-Cut 2nd Gear Dogs; Ported/Milled Head; Modded Airbox: 8x8 Wix Panel Filter; #137.5 Main Jet, Viper Yellow Paint, Michelin Pilot Activ F/R, Interstate AGM Battery, 14MM MC, Maier Fairing, Cree LED Fog Lights.

Comment

1982 Yamaha Vision 550. Picked up for a nice deal after Christmas, finally working on it. Gas tank had some rust in it and particles, it was not terminal and a good rinsing out multiple times cleaned it up. Pulled the carbs and gave them a good exterior cleaning and sprayed as many passageways and orifices inside without taking them fully apart. These are the most over engineered and complicated carburetors I have seen. However it runs well. Also front brake flush, fork service along with coolant since it's a liquid cooled bike and final drive gear oil change. It does not have a middle drive with its own fluid like the XS1100, the Vision shares engine oil for that.

CaptonZap was gracious and helped me spoon new tires on this past weekend. Now that I have done it and know the levers/bead breaker needed, I'm good to go on my own for future tires.

I have also done a Nighthawk 550, CX 500, 1980 XS1100 G. I ride them for a little bit and sell them. Wish I had the space to keep them however this way allows me to play with different older bikes and not upset the household.
      Howard

ZRX1200

BTW, ZRX carbs have the same spacing as the XS11... http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread.php?t=35462

Comment

Vintage bikes

Ian and Bonz, thanks for your replies. My oldest bike is a 73 Yamaha TX 650. It's under mechanical updating now. Brakes, brake lines, tires, steering neck bearings, wheel bearings, seals etc, etc. I usually address the mechanical and safety issues first, then do a 1000 miles or so to find any remaining Gremlins. Then it's back in the shop for cosmetics. It has been rumored I can be a bit anal about cleaning and originality, but it's something I enjoy. My cosmetic project now is a 75 KZ 900. I purchased it from the original owner a couple years ago. It's a testament to patience and time. It has even exceeded my expectations. It's not a show bike, but a true, stone stock survivor that's about an 8 1/2 out of ten in my book and has 7500 original and documented miles. I'm excited to get it back on the road, I have been working on it for over a year.

Comment

KZ900 = Z1, yes?

Awesome!
          Howard

ZRX1200

BTW, ZRX carbs have the same spacing as the XS11... http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread.php?t=35462

Comment

I am almost done with my full frame off resto and fully built engine for my rd400.

Last edited by e30 gangsta; 04-05-2017, 07:43 AM.
            80 XS1110 SG, RD400

Comment

Fun Question, Curtis!

Nice work Gangsta!

I'm still putzing along on my Honda V65 Magna. Since December, I rebuilt everything from the engine rearward.

Now I'm working on the front end:

My suspicions about the odometer accuracy are confirmed:

I've been posting my story here:

http://v4musclebike.com/forums/showthread.php?t=28743

Hey Curtis: you asked for pictures, yet you didn't oblige.
              BTW, I think Marty (a.k.a. Jetmechmarty) is also working on a TX650.
              BTW II, Thought of you while the wife and I were vacationing in Virginia Beach last week- drove to Washington DC one day.
              -Mike
              _________
              '79 XS1100SF 20k miles
              '80 XS1100SG 44k miles
              '81 XS1100H Venturer 35k miles
              '79 XS750SF 17k miles
              '85 Honda V65 Magna ~7k miles
              '84 Honda V65 Magna 48k miles (parts bike)
              '86 Yamaha VMAX 9k miles

Previous: '68 Motoguzzi 600cc + '79 XS750SF 22k miles +'84 Honda V65

Comment

Vintage bikes

Bonz, Yes, a Z1.

e30 gangsta, SWEET! An RD 350 is on my wish list. Please keep us posted as to your progress.

Radioguylogs, I need to download some pics to my laptop so I can post them. I've been getting in late since spring has sprung. I have mowed about 5 acres in the last few days, as well as tilling the garden, and getting the onion bed ready. The plants came last week. Last weekend Rhonda and I rode about an hour down the road to look at an 85 V Max with "2200 original miles and in excellent condition". The first thing I thought of after about 2 minutes of observations was your Honda. It was likely still worth what they were asking, but I passed on principal. What a crock!

BTW, I heard the same rumor. Someone must be very fortunate to have guy with his talents and resources working on their bike.

Comment

Other vintage bikes

I'm really surprised that only 5 members have vintage bikes other than XS's. Perhaps the Easter bunny dropped off some two wheeled goodies somewhere???

Comment

Yamaha

is the only brand my mom lets me have since my near death HD experience.
                    I have an 81 XS650 I'm working on but there really is not much to do on it.
                    76 XS650 C ROADSTER
                    80 XS650 G Special II
                    https://ibb.co/album/icbGgF
                    80 XS 1100 SG
                    81 XS 1100LH/SH DARKHORSE
                    https://tinyurl.com/k6nzvtw
                    AKA; Don'e, UD, Unca Don'e

Comment

Too many bikes ?

Hey 2 many,
                      It took me a while to respond to your thread but after seeing that nice rd I thought I would mention a few of my vintage machines ,
                      I have two Yamaha jt1 mini enduros,one xr 200 Honda, three Yamaha rd 350's,two Yamaha xj 650's one Yamaha xt 225, five Yamaha xs 1100's,
                      one Yamaha wr 250 and one Yamaha yz 400's ...............................
                      and a partridge in pear tree lol..................
                      78standard,79 & 80 Specials; 2 x 650 Maxims; 4 x RD350's; yz450; 2 x Honda tlr's;2x jt1 mini.

Comment

Originally posted by rdmcguy View Post
                        Hey 2 many,
                        It took me a while to respond to your thread but after seeing that nice rd I thought I would mention a few of my vintage machines ,
                        I have two Yamaha jt1 mini enduros,one xr 200 Honda, three Yamaha rd 350's,two Yamaha xj 650's one Yamaha xt 225, five Yamaha xs 1100's,
                        one Yamaha wr 250 and one Yamaha yz 400's ...............................
                        and a partridge in pear tree lol..................
                        Wow, Joe...
                        You almost sound a bit...
                        XSive!

Maybe take a couple of pills for that?
                        '82 XJ1100J Maxim (has been sold.)

'79 F "Time Machine"... oh yeah, Baby.... (Sold back to Maximan)

2011 Kaw Concours 14 ABS

In the warden's words from Cool Hand Luke;
                        "What we have here is a failure to communicate."

Comment

Cool pile of bikes men. I am down to 3 motorcycles now and one mini bike as I've turned all the others into guns...
                          Only two that I have left that fit your list are the 73 Norton Commando and the 85 Sportster XLX 1000.

Comment

1984 Yamaha FJ1100,(putting on S/S clutch line and oil change...have to remove Yoshimura header to drain oil) 1981 Yamaha XS650 (putting new tire on the sidecar) 1977 Yamaha rd400, (putting on Martec electronic ignition change fork oil) 1985 Suzuki sp600f, (fixing broken foot peg mount) 2015 Kawasaki KLR650, ( not vintage but I just advanced the exhaust cam and put on 12v power supply for electronics) and my 1979 xs1100 (put on new rear 230 Shinko, and working on front brakes and non working turn signals) there are others. 1975 Honda cb360 cafe, 2001 Yamaha WR426, 1986 Suzuki sp125, 1979 Suzuki sp370, 1978 Kawasaki ke100, 1969 Rupp sprint, and a few parts and extra bikes. I wish I could get pictures to load...I do have photobucket! Charley
                            79 SF; 84 FJ11; 81 XS650; 15 KLR650

Comment

Charley,
                              Try this to load photo's.
                              1. go to the photobucket account and on the right side of the photo you want to show, click on the img tab.
                              2. on the xs11.com site, do a reply and on the edit page click on the yellow square just below the anti-clockwise arrow.
                              3. with the right mouse button, hit paste in the box that pops up
                              4. hit enter, IIRC, and it should put a big line in your post with "[img]" on both ends. if you have two on each end, don't worry about it.
                              5. click on the outside of the last "]", and hit enter to start another line of text, or to post another photo.
                              Ray Matteis
                              KE6NHG
                              XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
                              XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

Working...
                              X