No announcement yet.

i admit i need help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kurt thank you for the suggestion on who to go with, ive lucked out and gotten two people who seem more than qualified to assist me Mike and Ian so in this regard i am confident they know there stuff. Mike and Ian just wanted to say thank you for the assistance you given thus far and even though I am confused as hell at the moment I know that usually when that happens shortly there after i learn something new and unexpected so its with a little excitement that im stewing in confusion now, lol

Also thanks 3phase i was not absolutely sure i had in fact not hijacked a xs1100 forum which isnt beyond possible lol but you assured me i had not so again thanks
    79 xs 750, 81 xs 850( custom ), 81 xv 750; 80 G XS11 Standard

Comment

The Mains on the 750 was 130, and the Pilot was 42.5 from memory. As-long as you're using stock airbox, exhaust, etc., you may be able to get away with a simple air/fuel adjustment, if not a clip being raised or lowered. I have some K&N pods on my 750, so I had to increase jetting.

The "reluctor" is what sits on the end of the crank. It looks like a brass sleeve. Sometimes it falls out of place. The second issue is always that dowel pin that sometimes falls into the engine.

The fact that you have spark, counts out the reluctor being the issue.

It's def a carb issue. Have you bench-synced your carbs? Triple-Cleaned them? Petcocks functioning? Vacuum tubes are good? So many possibilities . . . .
      1979 XS1100F
      2H9 Mod, Truck-Lite LED Headlight, TECHNA-FIT S/S Brake Lines, Rear Air Shocks, TKAT Fork Brace, Dyna DC-I Coils, TC Fuse Block, Barnett HD Clutch Springs, Superbike Handlebars, V-Star 650 ACCT, NGK Irridium Plugs, OEM Exhaust. CNC-Cut 2nd Gear Dogs; Ported/Milled Head; Modded Airbox: 8x8 Wix Panel Filter; #137.5 Main Jet, Viper Yellow Paint, Michelin Pilot Activ F/R, Interstate AGM Battery, 14MM MC, Maier Fairing, Cree LED Fog Lights.

Comment

ian i dont know how important an issue it is but the adjustment screw all three were without the o ring, and they were leaking because of the tee connecting the three i think ive fixed that issue and ive put o rings in the screw but they still dont have the washer they were also missing . im gonna find out here in a minute when i go put the carbs back on i turned the screws 2 and 1/2 turns out from a soft seat, am hoping that will at least let me fire it up ....that is once charge the battery back up as i now ive drained it past the point these bikes will fire. or ill see if i cant kick start it may be that i have enough juice to run it that way

Comment

i tried the petcock rebuild but they kept leaking so i did the mod to just have standard operating petcocks recommended in another post , that stopped the leaking although i have to remember to turn them off after each shut down, yet to see how i fair there with my tbi since it affects my memory more and more each year it seems.have cleaned them and cleaned them and cleaned them, including every orifice and all screens including the one under the float seat. not sure i can get cleaner . if this isnt successful im gonna call it quits and give up and take to a mechanic to get finished as ive run out of time , saved all the money i could and will just admit that im not as good as i thought and this triple carb set up has whipped this transplanted southern boy who used to think if its broke round here ill fix it.

Comment

not using airbox basically open pods and the exhaust is of the straight pipe variety as ive been focused on starting it once i do that ill focus on the exhaust. then after i get it running reasonably good i can start in finishing the cosmetic aspects i had planned . Or if im lucky i will have acquired the 1100s from another member ive been excitedly trying to get up the money for and can dirty my hands on a whole new set of issues. both outcomes i look forward to , asking some cat i dont know to finish what i started not so much as even saying it out loud leaves a nasty taste in my mouth

Comment

I'll be honest with you, outside of stock configuration, I cannot be of much help to you. I try to run my bikes pretty close to stock, and they run very well like that. I have no experience tuning bikes outside of those parameters.
              1979 XS1100F
              2H9 Mod, Truck-Lite LED Headlight, TECHNA-FIT S/S Brake Lines, Rear Air Shocks, TKAT Fork Brace, Dyna DC-I Coils, TC Fuse Block, Barnett HD Clutch Springs, Superbike Handlebars, V-Star 650 ACCT, NGK Irridium Plugs, OEM Exhaust. CNC-Cut 2nd Gear Dogs; Ported/Milled Head; Modded Airbox: 8x8 Wix Panel Filter; #137.5 Main Jet, Viper Yellow Paint, Michelin Pilot Activ F/R, Interstate AGM Battery, 14MM MC, Maier Fairing, Cree LED Fog Lights.

Comment

Methodically

Originally posted by BhamminXS View Post
                mike are you saying one of the pins themselves could of fallen out maybe when i switched out the frames seeing as i did it alone using the lay on side and remove frame method,.
                I doubt it, although it would be possible. Normally, folks have this problem when they have the mechanical spark advance removed, and the pin gets pushed into the crankshaft by accidental contact. I doubt this pin would go out of place by putting the engine on it's side.

I think you have a lot variables going on at the same time. I would suggest you sort through them one by one methodically.

*Make sure the valve timing is correct and there aren't any bent valves (compression check).

*Set up the carbs correctly. It's OK to start with stock jets to get it running, and go from there....but the carbs have to be clean and assembled/adjusted properly.

*Make sure you have a strong spark and the T1 Ignition timing mark corresponds to Top Dead Center on #1 cylinder

*Use a good battery.

* Etc...

If you don't have service manual, we'll direct you so somewhere to download one.

You can do this, if you take the time and work methodically.
                -Mike
                _________
                '79 XS1100SF 20k miles
                '80 XS1100SG 44k miles
                '81 XS1100H Venturer 35k miles
                '79 XS750SF 17k miles
                '85 Honda V65 Magna ~7k miles
                '84 Honda V65 Magna 48k miles (parts bike)
                '86 Yamaha VMAX 9k miles

Previous: '68 Motoguzzi 600cc + '79 XS750SF 22k miles +'84 Honda V65

Comment

Thanks Mike I plan to do just that.

Comment

ian i dont know how important an issue it is but the adjustment screw all three were without the o ring, and they were leaking because of the tee connecting the three i think ive fixed that issue and ive put o rings in the screw but they still dont have the washer they were also missing . im gonna find out here in a minute when i go put the carbs back on i turned the screws 2 and 1/2 turns out from a soft seat, am hoping that will at least let me fire it up ....that is once charge the battery back up as i now ive drained it past the point these bikes will fire. or ill see if i cant kick start it may be that i have enough juice to run it that way
                    That teeny thrust washer IS needed in order to keep bottom portion of pilot jet from damaging that o-ring. The O-rings are need to keep any outside air from being drawn in, which DOES unwantingly lean out mixture and makes it impossible to set fuel/air mixture correctly.
                    81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

Washer

Radio Shack sells a washer assortment for a couple bucks. In it you can find washers that fit the shaft of the idle/low speed mix needle. Thing is it's OD is too big, so what I did was to chuck it into/onto the cut off wheel holder for my dremel, then with a file I simply turned on the dremel spinning the washer and held the file to it until it was the right size, smoothed the edges with some sand paper, DONE

76 XS650 C ROADSTER
                      80 XS650 G Special II
                      https://ibb.co/album/icbGgF
                      80 XS 1100 SG
                      81 XS 1100LH/SH DARKHORSE
                      https://tinyurl.com/k6nzvtw
                      AKA; Don'e, UD, Unca Don'e

Comment

Working...
                      X