No announcement yet.

Keeping up with the Boehringers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Time for Mike to buyer another or two...

Mike,
    I had posted elsewhere but not in this thread that I did in fact get another one.....

Again, as is typical for me it's a pile of POOOP but I couldn't pass it up. Those you purchase are ready to ride. Mine are ready for the scrap heap.

This one is actually beyond hope for restoration as; ALL the chrome is total crap, the exhaust is crap, the front master is crap, the tires are crap, seat went in the trash when I got it home. BUT, after a complete carb clean the motor on this one runs as good (if not better) than ANY of my other 11's. Strangely, even with OEM crap fuses every electrical item works! The front calipers are missing but I made the rear work so I took a quick spin and 2nd gear SEEMS good (at the moment).

Although I've pulled a couple pieces off and set them aside I'm reluctant to strip and toss the bones to the curb. I have a title for this one so I'm starting to think this could be a twin for Karl's DEAD DUCK Café. I sure would hate to chop a frame with title but since all the chrome is POOP it might be the only way this would ever see the road again. Maybe a modified R1 front end I have access to...

E -Coming this weekend.
    This weekend I've made arrangements to pick-up an E for $100. It may not seem possible but its likely the worst PILE OF POOP I ever purchased. BUT, it has: Nice Tank, Carbs, CDI, Engine of UNKNOWN condition. Those few potential spares makes it worth the $100 in my opinion.

KURT
    Kurt Boehringer
    Peachtree City, Georgia

1970 - CT70K0 - Mini-Trail
    1978 - SR500 - Thumper
    1979 - CT70H - Mini-Trail
    1979 - XS1100SF - Pensacola
    1980 - XS850SG - Rocky
    1980 - XS1100SG - The Ugly Duck
    1980 - XS1100SG - Mayberry Duck
    1981 - XS1100SH - DEAD Duck Cafe'
    1981 - XJ550 Maxim - Nancy's Mini-Max
    1982 - XJ650 SECA - Hurricane
    1986 - FJ1200 - Georgia Big Red
    1992 - FZR1000 - Genesis
    2016 - FJR1300A - Montgomery

Comment

No way!

I surrender !
      -Mike
      _________
      '79 XS1100SF 20k miles
      '80 XS1100SG 44k miles
      '81 XS1100H Venturer 35k miles
      '79 XS750SF 17k miles
      '85 Honda V65 Magna ~7k miles
      '84 Honda V65 Magna 48k miles (parts bike)
      '86 Yamaha VMAX 9k miles

Previous: '68 Motoguzzi 600cc + '79 XS750SF 22k miles +'84 Honda V65

Comment

Parallel paths

Well, Radio
        I bought my V65 and cleaned up the crud to find a diamond in the rough. The previous owner got in too deep on another bike and bought the V65 just so he could keep riding. Non riding injuries took him off the road. Once again, a learning experience. Redid the carbs and valve adjust, new tires and fork seals, bleed everything, oil change etc.. 20k on this one and it was really babied from what I see. All chrome is immaculate. The 85 and 86 v65 had chrome trimmed wheels and they suck after a few years, chrome peels and bubbles. I found 2 beautiful wheels from Utah and they are now on. My
        neighbor got the bike in a swap and handed it over to me from the injured guy
        I saw your v65 on Craigslist and was gonna pull the trigger it but had mine already. Yup, it is super fast ! Currently doing update on the 79 special, steering head bearings wheel bearings , fork seals and general stuff to make it good for the next so many years.
        vance
        P.S. good luck with the v65, I have found it to be very comfortable.
        79 1100 SF Carmine Red stock
        85 Honda v65 Magna
        70 Yamaha HS1 90cc twin Californian Orange
        02 Road King (retirement gift)
        First bike-s 2-1967 Yamaha YM2C Big Bear Scramblers

Comment

Indeed Mike ...your V65 is an awesome machine...i have ridden them before...deceptively fast as i have also said before. There were some mechanical issues with these bikes but i for one am not on top of what those issues are(were)
          This V4 engine preceeded Honda's ST1100s which came out in 1990 but then available in '91 here in the states. V4 powerplant is smooth powerful and has tremendous touque. The motors sit kinda high in the fram thus they are top heavy. ISeveral times in the past i had an opportunity to buy a V65 sabre then later a Magna..but never did get one. Great machine...that grin will never leave your face...
          1980 XS650G Special-Two
          1993 Honda ST1100

Comment

Hey Kurt...and the hits keep coming... Always great to see you take on another project...
            1980 XS650G Special-Two
            1993 Honda ST1100

Comment

Yep and Yep

vedger: Yes, we seem to be on parallel paths.

I did the steering bearings, wheel bearings and fork seals and all that stuff on the XS1100SG last winter.

I thought the V65 would be a simple valve adjust and oil leaks.....but the more I work on it, the more I realize it needs a complete going though like Ian said.

I can take my time.... I have 4 other bikes to ride in the meantime!

Ben: I had a chance to ride the V65 for a few miles around the block before I started tearing into it....and you described it perfectly.
              -Mike
              _________
              '79 XS1100SF 20k miles
              '80 XS1100SG 44k miles
              '79 XS750SF 17k miles
              '86 Yamaha VMAX 9k miles

Comment

Thanks Mike...sorry for the redundant postings...old brain cells ya know...LOL...But i have always admired theses machines...I'm sure you'll get this one right...I'm looking forward as well to reading of your exploits...Take care..
                1980 XS650G Special-Two
                1993 Honda ST1100

Comment

What kind of stuff need doin ? I got a few extra parts with mine.
                  85 Honda v65 Magna

Comment

Radio, So you have and 80SG, what color ? I sold my SG, 2000 mile bike to a riding buddy a few years ago. Black/red and near perfect so I thought. My friend took it to another level of clean and spit polish ( show ready and not a restoration), but you would think so. He has put on 4k since he, s had it. I have had show cars and didn't drive them , so I sold them. NOT gonna do it with my bikes.
                    85 Honda v65 Magna

Comment

SG Color

vedger:

My SG is black with the red metal flakes.

The paint has some scratches, and after I fixed up the bike, my wife was suggesting it could be my Christmas gift to have it re-painted professionally.

I hesitated because it wasn't that bad and the stock condition has some value monetarily and emotionally.

I took a survey at XSSE last fall, and vote was unanimous to "leave it".

So.....that's the way it sits today and tomorrow.

It's not perfect, but I am like you, I want a bike I can ride, not a museum piece.
                      -Mike
                      _________
                      '79 XS1100SF 20k miles
                      '80 XS1100SG 44k miles
                      '79 XS750SF 17k miles
                      '86 Yamaha VMAX 9k miles

Comment

This one doesn't count.... I think we're tied?

Mike,
                        This one does not count in our competition.
                        This bike is only a handful of good parts that roll on XS11 wheels.
                        I'm almost embarrassed to post a photo of it.

It was unsure what year this bike was from the photos and the owner had no idea. It's actually an "F".

Just another failed; boober, café, or street fighter that will NEVER see the road again. The owner stated that: "It ran and I drove it once before I started WORKING ON IT, but it hasn't run since". Sounds mighty familiar? The last time it was capable of starting was about three years ago. It will absolutely never ever see the road again thanks to the PO's handi-work but it may keep one of mine on the road a little longer so it's spirit will live on.

The PO's PO may have had some good XS11 skills or creativity as there are a few somewhat pleasant surprises.....
                        • Carb boots are new ($50+/-)
                        • Hitachi A104-70 starter relay is new ($50+/-)
                        • Seat pan (F) was recovered for the Café style and the metal is solid. Not any value to me but someone may like to have it....Seller didn't show any seat in the advertisement.
                        • The carbs are 1980s based on the bowls and tin caps they look OK externally but will need a better inspection and obviously a thorough cleaning.
                        • The tank is not as nice as it appeared in the photo but it will be easily repaired and repainted.

I'm gonna pull the motor and that handful of good parts and kick the bones to the curb. For only ONE $100 dollar bill and located less than 15 miles from home I think this was one worth grabbing! If it turns out the gears are good this will have been a heck of a deal!

I think we should only count those we register & insure! I have only five registered and insured bikes. I think we're tied?
                        Kurt Boehringer
                        Peachtree City, Georgia

1978 - SR500 - Thumper
                        1980 - XS850SG - Rocky
                        1992 - FZR1000 - Genesis

Comment

Originally posted by kboehringer View Post
                          Mike,
                          This one does not count in our competition.

I think we should only count those we register & insure! I have only five registered and insured bikes. I think we're tied?
                          Phew! (relax)

My wife needs to get used to the new count before I acquire any more.
                          -Mike
                          _________
                          '79 XS1100SF 20k miles
                          '80 XS1100SG 44k miles
                          '79 XS750SF 17k miles
                          '86 Yamaha VMAX 9k miles

Comment

Right behind you (sort of)

Kurt:

I almost got within one bike.

The VMAX brought my count to 7.

I had just purchased the VMAX and loaded it onto the trailer. I took the wife out to lunch before we started the 2 hour drive home. My phone rings during lunch and it is the guy I e-mailed the night before. I had seen a 1985 V65 basket case for $300, and thought I would be able make another V65 with leftover parts after my frame swap this winter..

That call could not have come at a worse time. I didn't even make it home with ANOTHER motorcycle and Louann overhears me buying ANOTHER one. That didn't go over well!

We came to terms and I eventually went to look at the V65. I decided to pass because he only had one side cover instead of the two he promised, and the engine was in pieces. I was OK with an engine that needs work, but who knows if all the parts and all fasteners are in there in the boxes....and figuring stuff out is easier when starting with an assembled engine.

So....you can enjoy a comfortable lead.....for the time being.
                            -Mike
                            _________
                            '79 XS1100SF 20k miles
                            '80 XS1100SG 44k miles
                            '79 XS750SF 17k miles
                            '86 Yamaha VMAX 9k miles

Comment

Too Close for Comfort.

Originally posted by Radioguylogs View Post
                              Kurt:
                              I almost got within one bike.
                              The VMAX brought my count to 7.
                              SNIP
                              So....you can enjoy a comfortable lead.....for the time being.
                              Mike,
                              You ARE within one(1) bike..... Darn I gotta buy SOON!

I am now out-of-room! However, your Louann must be as much of a Peach as my Nancy as I'm in the process of reorganizing my office and will be allowed to "DISPLAY" one or two INSIDE the home office. That will free up some room for more in the garage!

I've been out looking at a few bikes over the last several months including an RD350 I looked at last weekend. Unfortunately, the owners I've spoken to lately want far more for their bikes (i.e. Junk) than the vehicles are worth.

My time has been limited with a demanding job (soon to be a new job as of 11/12) so buying up my traditional lumps of coal and turning them into diamonds is no longer an option. I need to start with better base bikes.....

I'll be increasing my lead shortly.... FINGERS CROSSED!

Sincerely,
                              Kurt
                              Kurt Boehringer
                              Peachtree City, Georgia

1978 - SR500 - Thumper
                              1980 - XS850SG - Rocky
                              1992 - FZR1000 - Genesis

Comment

It's Close!

Hi Kurt!

Keep up the good work. We'll be looking an an RD350 report soon.

Yes, Louann has also been a doll to me about my bikes. She actually pushed me to get the V65 and the VMAX when she knew I wanted them.

After we talked about it that "incident" at the restaurant, I discovered her concern was a worry about what to do with my bikes and parts if I died. Kind of strange, that disposing of $10K worth of stuff would be important during those circumstances, but we all have our own version of reality.

Now I am on the hook to make a summary of the forums, IDs, passwords and friends. Hope you don't mind, but you will probably be at the top of list of people she could contact for advice.

I'm excited to hear you might have a new job, mainly because I am worried about you burning out on life. I really hope this new job brings some more free time for you.
                                -Mike
                                _________
                                '79 XS1100SF 20k miles
                                '80 XS1100SG 44k miles
                                '79 XS750SF 17k miles
                                '86 Yamaha VMAX 9k miles

Comment

Working...
                                X