Keeping up with the Boehringers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Keeping up with the Boehringers

It seems whenever Kurt buys a bike, something happens and I have another one too.

This time, I have to admit to cheating on my XS girls:

This bike was advertized with 71 original miles. The story was that the original owner only rode it only 3 times, and had a scray experience and never rode it again. That is a lie.

There are slight but detectable witness marks on one speedometer screw, and parts of the speedometer gasket around the perimeter is outside of the cup. The tires are dated 2008. The front wheel has evidence of a previous balancing. The final drive fluid looks like ~3k miles. The Title has no mileage on it....name on the title is a previous owner, not the seller, ...etc.....

Car fax shows a frontal accident in August 2009, reported in Michigan and Georgia on the same day.

It runs perfectly. "Carbs were just rebuilt by a local shop." (seems quite true)

Owner asking $2300, then $1600. I bought it for $1400, and I am happy. I just wish I knew the correct odometer reading so I knew what to do for service.

The side covers are missing and the front turn signals are damaged. One of the airbox side covers is missing. There is lots of room for cosmetic improvement and general loving.

I rode it. Then I was really happy. It has so much power at all RPMs it just makes you grin.

However, this machine feels like riding a chopper. My feet are way up front compared to my XS's, and the handlebars are high and forward. That will really take some getting used to.

So, this will be my project for this winter, besides smaller jobs on the existing fleet.

There is lots to learn: Water cooled, 4 valves/cylinder, hydraulic clutch, 2 gas tanks with fuel pump, dual piston brake calipers, valves adjusted by screws....
    -Mike
    _________
    '79 XS1100SF 20k miles
    '80 XS1100SG 44k miles
    '81 XS1100H Venturer 35k miles
    '79 XS750SF 17k miles
    '85 Honda V65 Magna ~7k miles
    '84 Honda V65 Magna 48k miles (parts bike)
    '86 Yamaha VMAX 9k miles

Previous: '68 Motoguzzi 600cc + '79 XS750SF 22k miles +'84 Honda V65

When in-doubt, treat it like it's been neglected by a 17-year-old, first-time rider. That means headlight to taillight inspection and rebuild.

That kinda gets expensive.
    1979 XS1100F
    2H9 Mod, Truck-Lite LED Headlight, TECHNA-FIT S/S Brake Lines, Rear Air Shocks, TKAT Fork Brace, Dyna DC-I Coils, TC Fuse Block, Barnett HD Clutch Springs, Superbike Handlebars, V-Star 650 ACCT, NGK Irridium Plugs, OEM Exhaust. CNC-Cut 2nd Gear Dogs; Ported/Milled Head; Modded Airbox: 8x8 Wix Panel Filter; #137.5 Main Jet, Viper Yellow Paint, Michelin Pilot Activ F/R, Interstate AGM Battery, 14MM MC, Maier Fairing, Cree LED Fog Lights.

Comment

Sweet lookin' bike! Yup....valve adjustment was a piece of cake on those Hondas! Also, FWIW, the V65 Sabres and Magnas held 'braggin' rights ALL three yrs. of their production.......till the Yamaha VMax showed up and put a 'thumpin' on everything.......well..... till the Hyabusa showed its wicked self........then of course came after was the bad-a$$ Kaway.
      Guess it holds true........'win on Sunday...sells on Monday'.
      81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

Sweet lookin' bike! Yup....valve adjustment was a piece of cake on those Hondas! Also, FWIW, the V65 Sabres and Magnas held 'braggin' rights ALL three yrs. of their production.......till the Yamaha VMax showed up and put a 'thumpin' on everything.......well..... till the Hyabusa showed its wicked self........then of course came after was the bad-a$$ Kaway.
        Guess it holds true........'win on Sunday...sells on Monday'........or just wait till Kurt buys another bike.
        81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

Make more room Mike....more bikes on the way!

Originally posted by radioguylogs View Post
          it seems whenever kurt buys a bike, something happens and i have another one too.
          LOL!

Mike,
          That is too funny! Unfortunately, the stuff I drag home looks like pooooo while the bikes you buy are in ready to ride condition (or very close to it). That is a very nice looking Honda! Even if there was some sneaky business attempted, that looks like a good deal for that machine.

You better be ready for MORE bikes if we are going to keep this streak going. I am running out of room in my smaller than yours garage but (with Nancy's permission) I am currently hunting more bikes!!! I will also be cheating on my "XS Girls", but I'm staying in the Yamaha family.......
          1. A bike I NEVER owned but always wanted - RD400 Daytona!, and
          2. The ONLY bike I ever owned that I absolutely must own again - SECA 650!
          3. In addition, I just received a response to my craigslist ad and will likely pick up another POS XS11 parts bike in Florida for just a few $$.

Make more room Mike!.... more bikes are on the way!!!!

Sincerely,
          Last edited by kboehringer; 11-22-2016, 07:42 PM. Reason: spelling
          Kurt Boehringer
          Peachtree City, Georgia

1970 - CT70K0 - Mini-Trail
          1978 - SR500 - Thumper
          1979 - CT70H - Mini-Trail
          1979 - XS1100SF - Pensacola
          1980 - XS850SG - Rocky
          1980 - XS1100SG - The Ugly Duck
          1980 - XS1100SG - Mayberry Duck
          1981 - XS1100SH - DEAD Duck Cafe'
          1981 - XJ550 Maxim - Nancy's Mini-Max
          1982 - XJ650 SECA - Hurricane
          1986 - FJ1200 - Georgia Big Red
          1992 - FZR1000 - Genesis
          2016 - FJR1300A - Montgomery

Comment

More?

Kurt:

Uh oh!- Louann has been too good to me already.

I look forward to seeing the fruits of your hunt.

Vmax is on my wish list.
            -Mike
            _________
            '79 XS1100SF 20k miles
            '80 XS1100SG 44k miles
            '79 XS750SF 17k miles
            '86 Yamaha VMAX 9k miles

Comment

Very noice and about 30 more ponys than the XS11.
              Care should be taken not to very suddenly out run the brakes (much like the XS) this can happen even faster than on the XS11 !
              76 XS650 C ROADSTER
              80 XS650 G Special II
              https://ibb.co/album/icbGgF
              80 XS 1100 SG
              81 XS 1100LH/SH DARKHORSE
              https://tinyurl.com/k6nzvtw
              AKA; Don'e, UD, Unca Don'e

Comment

Nice find Mike...V65 is a brute...V4 engine that's the pappy to the Honda ST1100s...they pull like a tractor and will easily leave the XS11 in the dust.... the powerband is full of torque where you want it and it blew me away how easily I got it to illegal speeds when I demoed one many yrs ago...a fun bike for sure...
                p,s. Nice Lincoln...
                Last edited by madmax-im; 11-23-2016, 05:06 AM.
                1980 XS650G Special-Two
                1993 Honda ST1100

Comment

There was an oiling problem with the cams with I think both the 45 and the 65 (might have just been the 45 though). There is a fix for it so look into it.
                  Nathan
                  KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
                  K&N Filter
                  #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
                  OEM Exhaust
                  ATK Fork Brace
                  LED Dash lights
                  Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
                  SS Brake Lines
                  Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

Originally posted by natemoen View Post
                    There was an oiling problem with the cams with I think both the 45 and the 65 (might have just been the 45 though). There is a fix for it so look into it.
                    Cam oiling issue was also with the V65. Easy mod. was adding external small diameter stainless flex line going to upper two cyls. Honda did that on their own last year of production. This was also related to the demise of V45 and V65 models,.... Too much to late. To bad, as this motor and model bike was way awesome in a lot of ways!
                    As Ben stated relating to the later coming of the ST1100, hundreds of ST riders(prvious owners of V65 Sabres/Magnas) have said many a time, "the ST was an improved V65 with the motor turned the correct direction". Myself, heard this many a time.

Comment

Cheating

Mike, I have cheated as well, but so far, non of the ponies have filed papers!
                      Have you had time to delve into the Honda any further? Your over the top technical follow ups have set a new precedence, and I look forward to reading them!

Comment

Deep into the Honda

2manybikes:

I'll never live up to your kind words, but I'm glad to hear that someone enjoys the journey like I do.

Oh yes, I have been working on the Honda V65 every chance I get.

There is so much to learn for me.

It's much harder to work on than my XS's but new challenges make us grow.

I started a thread here:

http://v4musclebike.com/forums/showthread.php?t=28743

but I haven't been keeping it up perfectly.

Right now I am removing the drivetrain/swingarm from the cross-shaft (ahead of the driveshaft) on back - to fix leaky seals and whatever else needs attention.

Stay in touch.
                        -Mike
                        _________
                        '79 XS1100SF 20k miles
                        '80 XS1100SG 44k miles
                        '79 XS750SF 17k miles
                        '86 Yamaha VMAX 9k miles

Comment

I just realized that u and Vance have the same exact bike.
                          1979 XS1100F
                          2H9 Mod, Truck-Lite LED Headlight, TECHNA-FIT S/S Brake Lines, Rear Air Shocks, TKAT Fork Brace, Dyna DC-I Coils, TC Fuse Block, Barnett HD Clutch Springs, Superbike Handlebars, V-Star 650 ACCT, NGK Irridium Plugs, OEM Exhaust. CNC-Cut 2nd Gear Dogs; Ported/Milled Head; Modded Airbox: 8x8 Wix Panel Filter; #137.5 Main Jet, Viper Yellow Paint, Michelin Pilot Activ F/R, Interstate AGM Battery, 14MM MC, Maier Fairing, Cree LED Fog Lights.

Comment

I bought a 1996 750 Magna for my girlfriend to ride about a year ago. It is one of the few bikes low enough for her to swing a leg over. She just earned her license recently and just as I was getting it inspected, the throttle cable froze. I will have to take off the tank and the air box to see if I can free up the throttle without pulling the carbs. argggghhhhh

I have ridden the bike and do not like the ride at all. It is "squirrely" in twisties. The stock exhaust note is loud and hurts my ears.

She loves the bike. That is all that matters.
                            82 XJ1100 - sold
                            96 Honda Magna 750 - Girlfriend's bike
                            2000 ZRX1100 - sold
                            2003 FJR1300 - Silver rocket

Comment

Originally posted by IanDMacDonald View Post
                              I just realized that u and Vance have the same exact bike.
                              Hope the DMV doesn't find out

Just joking!
                              -Mike
                              _________
                              '79 XS1100SF 20k miles
                              '80 XS1100SG 44k miles
                              '79 XS750SF 17k miles
                              '86 Yamaha VMAX 9k miles

Comment

Working...
                              X