No announcement yet.

XJ 750 Mod project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yep I have a set of those on the XS400. Love them for short rides.
    wingnut
    81 SH (Daily Ride)
    81 650XJ (Brother in laws bike, Delivered)
    81 650XJ Jane Doe (Son's Ride)
    82 750XJ Project bike (Son in law's future ride)
    81 XS 400

No man has a natural right to commit aggression on the equal rights of another; and this is all from which the laws ought to restrain him.”

A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have.

Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Update

All wiring has been sorted and everything works. She runs Now its time to fab the parts for the XS front end. Looks like I will need to source the brake line manifold from a 1100 special to make thing fit under the chrome cover for the lower triple tree. I'll post pictures Sunday
      Last edited by wingnut; 06-03-2016, 09:13 AM.
      wingnut
      81 SH (Daily Ride)
      81 XS 400

No man has a natural right to commit aggression on the equal rights of another; and this is all from which the laws ought to restrain him.”

A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have.

Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Does this mean you're using those Weird Harold brakes?

Marty (in Mississippi)
        XS1100SG
        XS650SK
        XS650SH
        XS650G
        XS6502F
        XS650E

Comment

Its coming along

Got the front end mostly sorted out. Used the upper triple tree from a XJ650, which had been exposed to 20 min on my buffing wheel, the fork ears and lower triple tree cover from a XS 750. I was able to retain the air fork set up by cutting the top off of the fork ears and still use all if the rubber and washer hardware. I don't believe I'll have any vibration issues with the head light. The headlight bucket is from an XS1100 and I chose it cause it has 3 holes to pass wires and connecters thru, just made life easer. Gauges are from a 83 XJ 650 cause I need an electric tack. The turn signals are from an XS, along with a set of buckhorns we had in stock, LH control from the XJ750, RH control is from a XS400. Still need lower brake lines from an XS11 along with the double stack banjo fitting. Also have to fabricate a bracket for the headlight height adjustment bracket.

Marty there are no weird Harold brakes on this rig. This bike weights 375 from the factory and even with the drum on the back and smaller disks this thing stops better than any of my other michines.

Last edited by wingnut; 06-06-2016, 08:05 AM.
          wingnut
          81 SH (Daily Ride)
          81 XS 400

Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Thought I'd post a before picture. This was taken just after the fire was put out

wingnut
            81 SH (Daily Ride)
            81 XS 400

Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Progress report, got the turn signals mounted and working. None of my instrument lights worked and we had some issues with the safety system. I had to hunt down a 7 wire diode block which was missing from the 650 harness. Haven't had it together enough to check the head light function but one light is on all the time and that's the low oil level light. Come to find out that the xj750 oil level sensor is electrically opposite from the unit used on the 650. Changing it out turned into an act. Ended up dropping the oil pan just to get at the wireing. This system was not the best idea the little guys from the raising sun ever had. i rather have a pressure warning system. The sleeve on the wireing was very brittle from all the heat cycles so I'm going to have to repair that. The SS hoses for the front brakes are here from China. $19 for these and they are of very good quality. Time will tell on how well they hold up, I will keep an eye on them. Still waiting for the banjo bold to finish up that system. Did get some buffing done on the side cases.
              wingnut
              81 SH (Daily Ride)
              81 XS 400

Thomas Jefferson

Comment

So as I was changing out the low oil level switch I had to drop the oil pan to get at the wiring. I found lumps of coal in there. Seems as the primary chain guide is coming apart. Engine is coming out of the fame this weekend and a case split will be done. I'll take pictures.
                wingnut
                81 SH (Daily Ride)
                81 XS 400

Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Lump of coal

So I found the lumps of coal in the oil pan that are what is left of the hyvo chain guide. This is just what I got out of the pan Once I got the cases split I found more. As you can see there was nothing left but the tab under the mounting bolts. The case split went very well and everything inside looks good with the exception of the guide. New part is on the way and I plan on reassembly with just replacement of the few orings involved.
                  wingnut
                  81 SH (Daily Ride)
                  81 XS 400

Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Well the hyvo chain guide was replaced and everything else looked really looked good. So it went back together. I'm going to do a valve clearance check before I pit it back in the frame.
                    wingnut
                    81 SH (Daily Ride)
                    81 XS 400

Thomas Jefferson

Comment

That's a nice save with the chain guide!

It all looks great, just take your time setting up the ignition and valve train right so you don't chase your tail all over creation after you fire it up and try to tune it.

-- Scott
                      _____

2004 ST1300A: No name... yet
                      1982 XJ1100J: "Baby" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
                      1980 XS1100G: "Columbo" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
                      1979 XS1100SF: "Bush" W.I.P.
                      1979 XS1100F: parts
                      2018 Heritage Softail Classic 117 FLHCS SE: "Nanuk" It's DEAD, it's not just resting. It is an EX cycle.

Comment

Checked the valves and all is well. Also checked the cam timing which looked spot on. Touched up the paint on the frame and we are ready to put the engine back in.
                        wingnut
                        81 SH (Daily Ride)
                        81 XS 400

Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Engine is back in the frame. So I put the carbs back on which were working fine when I removed them. Hooked up the test tank and turned the fuel on. It started raining fuel from every joint on the fuel tee and all the manifold joints. WTF!! It was good when I removed them. Oh well, off they came and I replaced the orings. I needed the practice R&R carburetors I guess Anyway the first start went good. No drama or oil leaks. Test ride without the tank or seat was different. When I went to shift from what I thought was first I found that with these rear sets you can put the shifter on upside down resulting in a 1 up 4 down shift pattern. That got my attention pretty quick. Figured that out and it seems the case split accomplished the mission and no other damage. Now I'm just chasing electrical gremlins. No headlight is the last thing and I'm close to getting it working. Had the new son in law come down and get his first intro to chrome and aluminum polish. Its looking pretty good. Reworked the side covers and will install the new seat cover this weekend while the tropical storm keeps us in doors. Once we get dried out it may be time for the 50 mile road test and finial tune.
                          wingnut
                          81 SH (Daily Ride)
                          81 XS 400

Thomas Jefferson

Comment

So I have put 150 miles on the bike. Glad to report all is well. Have to get the seat recovered and find a XJ750 tank as I'm using one of my 650 tanks and 2 quarts means a bunch more miles. So if anyone has one there want to part with let me know.
                            wingnut
                            81 SH (Daily Ride)
                            81 XS 400

Thomas Jefferson

Comment

XJ750 Tanks

Originally posted by wingnut View Post
                              So I have put 150 miles on the bike. Glad to report all is well. Have to get the seat recovered and find a XJ750 tank as I'm using one of my 650 tanks and 2 quarts means a bunch more miles. So if anyone has one there want to part with let me know.
                              Here are several:

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odkw...tank.&_sacat=0
                              1981 XS1100H Venturer
                              K&N Air Filter
                              ACCT
                              Custom Paint by Deitz
                              Geezer Rectifier/Regulator
                              Chacal Stainless Steel Braided Brake Lines
                              Chrome Front Rotor & Caliper Covers
                              Stebel Nautilus Horn
                              EBC Front Rotors
                              Limie Accent Moves On In 2015

Mike

Comment