XJ 750 Mod project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• XJ 750 Mod project

Starting a resurrection on a 1982 XJ 750. I know this bike as it belonged to a friend. Issue is it was damaged in a garage fire. Damage was not extensive. Mostly cosmetic. I plan to get rid of the Atari gauges, that funky rear fender/tail light grab bar, and the Star Wars speeder handle bars. Biggest issue will be replacement of the electrical harness that was damaged in the fire and the conversion to a set of gagues from maybe a xj650 or even a XS. Bike has been sitting in a trailer for about 3 years so carbs, fluids, brakes ect all need to be done. I'll post pictures as soon as I start the demo. If anyone has a harness of a 82 maxim they want to be rid of please let me know. Oh and this build is for my soon to be son inlaw and has been sanctioned by SHMBO. . It has to be complete by November so off we go.
    wingnut
    81 SH (Daily Ride)
    81 650XJ (Brother in laws bike, Delivered)
    81 650XJ Jane Doe (Son's Ride)
    82 750XJ Project bike (Son in law's future ride)
    81 XS 400

No man has a natural right to commit aggression on the equal rights of another; and this is all from which the laws ought to restrain him.”

A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have.

Thomas Jefferson

Look for an 83 XJ750 harness. It did not have the Atari controls so no need to rewiring the gages and headlight.
    Ty

78 XS1100E - Now in Minnesota
    80 XS1100LG - The Punisher
    82 XJ1100 - Current project - The Twins
    82 XJ1100 - Wife's Bike - The Twins
    82 XJ1100 - Daughter's Bike
    72 Suzuki TS125 - Daughter's Bike
    72 Yamaha Mini JT2 - Youngest Daughter's bike (She wants a bigger one now)

Comment

Sweet

Thanks tccop. I was hopping someone would know that and pass it along.
      wingnut
      81 SH (Daily Ride)
      81 XS 400

No man has a natural right to commit aggression on the equal rights of another; and this is all from which the laws ought to restrain him.”

A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have.

Thomas Jefferson

Comment

also if you get the triple tree from an 83 you can get rid of the adjustable bars. The 83 use regular 7/8 handle bars. I don't know if you can just replace the top of the tree or not.
        Ty

Comment

Did you ever hear of anyone just using the triple tree from a xj650. I have one of those as a parts bike and the fork tubes are the same size. The other thing I was thinking about was using the compete front end from a 1100 special although the brakes on the Xj are better
          wingnut
          81 SH (Daily Ride)
          81 XS 400

Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Originally posted by wingnut View Post
            ....the brakes on the Xj are better
            With that bit of knowledge, I would go no further.

A recent piece in Motorcycle Classics magazine (May/June) says the XJ750 Maxim has an 18 inch front wheel. Is that true? I think they made an error. Please confirm.
            Marty (in Mississippi)
            XS1100SG
            XS650SK
            XS650SH
            XS650G
            XS6502F
            XS650E

Comment

The front tire on the Maxim and the Seca is 19"

the rear wheel on the Maxim is 16" the Seca is 18"

So yea they got things mixed up.
              Ty

Comment

Did you ever hear of anyone just using the triple tree from a xj650. I have one of those as a parts bike and the fork tubes are the same size. The other thing I was thinking about was using the compete front end from a 1100 special although the brakes on the Xj are better
                I have not heard of it. but if you have the part does not hurt to try it out. I don't think the 1100 front end will work with out modification.
                Ty

Comment

I did some measurements of the triple tree from the 1100 and it will not work. The frame tube length is about 1/2 inch different. Also sourced a xj650 for parts locally so I'll be trying to use the upper tree from that. If it works then the handle bar mounting and gauges are taken care of. Also guy on the XJ site says he has a harness. Hope to get that deal closed this week

Here's a pic of the XJ 750

wingnut
                  81 SH (Daily Ride)
                  81 XS 400

Thomas Jefferson

Comment

It will be interesting to see what you do with the 750. I see that you also own a couple of XJ650s. My long absence from motorcycling was happily broken in 2008 by purchasing an 82 XJ650. I loved that bike. I rode it for 4 years every chance I got. The downside was that it felt light and buzzy at freeway speeds. My XJ1100 with a Vetter fairing is much more well behaved on the freeway in my opinion. The XJ650 is great for country twisty roads. It is also a breeze to make tight U-turns.

Cheers!
                    82 XJ1100 - sold
                    96 Honda Magna 750 - Girlfriend's bike
                    2000 ZRX1100 - sold
                    2003 FJR1300 - Silver rocket

Comment

650's are a hoot

Jane Doe, my 81 650, is a blast to ride on anything baring the super slab. Took it and the 1100 to the Southeast rally last September. Doing the dragon on the 650 with new E3s and a spirited attitude at 5:30 on a Wednesday evening was an experience I'll never forget. By the time I got down to Deals Gap the Dunlop's were gummy from the heat, both the bike and I were breathing heavy and the motor was making that sound they make when the heat is leaving . Not sure I would try to make that run like that again but I had to do it once. Kind of a bucket list thing. The rest of the weekend I rode the 1100 with Marty and the boys. Which also can do the job but you just have to pay more attention to what the bike is doing. The 750 is going to be a cross between a XS and an XJ. I planning XS fork ears and headlight/turn signals. XJ 650 gauge cluster. XJ650 tank, XS front fender and the jury is still out on the rear fender tail lights and grab bar. Thinking XS 750 parts for the rear but not sure yet.
                      wingnut
                      81 SH (Daily Ride)
                      81 XS 400

Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Good day for the 750

Sourced a harness from a 83 xj650 for free. It's never been cut up although I'll have to rebuild the fuse box but that's was expected. It looks like it will fit and bolt right up to the 750 frame and engine. Also got the upper triple tree which fit perfect. Now all I need is a good set of standard bars. Any one have a set for sale? Recovered a front fender from a 1978 xs750 which is a stright bolt up and looks great. And last I got the gauge set from the 650. It matches the harness so electrical should be good to go. Next is to swap out the harness. That might take a minute. . Also got the carbs cleaned and sorted out over the weekend so we are making progress w
                        wingnut
                        81 SH (Daily Ride)
                        81 XS 400

Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Now all I need is a good set of standard bars. Any one have a set for sale?
                          You can have the stock bars off my '80 special, for the cost of shipping... but you might be better off just buying a new set, as they're cheap, and you have a wide selection of style and color...

Bikemaster bars are around $25, and you can probably find what you want locally...

or there's always Dennis Kirk
                          Last edited by Brak; 05-26-2016, 04:03 PM.
                          80 SG

Comment

Standard or Buckhorns?

Brak the bars off of your special should be buckhorns correct? I'm looking for the straight bars from a standard model. But thanks for the offer
                            wingnut
                            81 SH (Daily Ride)
                            81 XS 400

Thomas Jefferson

Comment

I hear ya...

I'm not super familiar with the Standards, but for reference, these are the bikemaster "super bike" bars, which i have on my bike.
                              cost me about $20 at my local shop.

If you wanted something with even less rise, check out the "Drag Bars"
                              80 SG

Comment

Working...
                              X