Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• gf wants her own ride

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-street-cruise...ationFlag=true

My gf wants her own bike too. What do you all think of this model? but $2,400 ???
    Last edited by Blank Slate; 08-01-2015, 08:57 AM.
    Frame: 79 XS1100S
    Engine: 81 XS1100S
    Carbs: 78-79 BS34

Gf bike: 78 XS650S
    Carbs: 70-79 BS38

Pics: http://tinypic.com/2mpmkpjb

Good girls bike, a bit pricey though.
    Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

That looks like a really nice example of a 650 Special ... and these XS650's, both Standard and Special, have quite the following.

Is the $2,500 price in CAD? If so, that works out to just over $1,900 USD.

And if the odometer measures in km, that works out to just under 11,800 mi.

If the bike has no issues, that price doesn't seem out of line at all.

They were portly for a 650 twin, with somewhere around a 480 lb. wet weight, I believe.

I remember riding a friend's 650 Special a few times, and they do vibrate a lot (well ... his bike did, anyway).

And they're really popular with the Sawzall crowd ... you know, rat/brat/bobber/chopper/bratwurst, etc.

But Marty (jetmechmarty) is really the one to ask ... he knows a lot about these bikes and can answer your question much better than I can.

Perhaps he will chime in, along with some of the other members.
      Marco

Current bikes:
      1979 Yamaha XS Eleven Special (SF)
      1979 Honda CBX
      2002 Kawasaki ZRX1200R

Rest in Peace, Don Glardon (DGXSER) 1966-2014
      WE MISS YOU, DON

Comment

Yep Cnd monopoly money :P

Like you said, if it has no issues that's worth gold in my eyes

Comment

Originally posted by Prisoner6 View Post
          they do vibrate a lot (well ... his bike did, anyway).
          Yep, that Brit engine does that, but , that's what makes Hardleys so popular with women.
          Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

Pending safety check looks like I'm gonna be the new owner of this puppy. The guy said he is the 3rd owner of this bike. No modifications. It's just collecting dust in his garage. He bought a bike like this in 78 but sold it. Rebought it for the nostalgia factor. It rides great. Has not had any issues besides regular maintenance. He has a Yamaha mechanic inspect it regularly. Good compression, new can chain, timing adjusted, new brake pads, carbs are in great shape. Mufflers were changed but replaced with OEM ones. Handle grips were changed, he then bought new OEM handle grips but they are sitting in a box and he has not yet replaced them. Still has the original tool kit.

Personally, I prefer the look of the black, so I will be looking to convert the bike I'm buying to the all black look below:

Comment

LOL

"GF wants a bike, I like this bike, I'd like it more painted black, gonna paint her bike black"
              78 E

Comment

Originally posted by alaskey2 View Post
                LOL

"GF wants a bike, I like this bike, I'd like it more painted black, gonna paint her bike black"
                signature updated.... pending purchase of my, uh , her bike

Comment

Tach

can't see for sure but the tach appears to have a high red line, 650s were 7500rpm. Color is your choice but that is original first year special paint. New points, valve adjust and good carb sync along with slightly smaller sprocket on the back (32 or even 30 with the front 18) will take much of the vibes away the 30 sproket may lower top end but cruising at 70-75mph,., want to go over 100mph. ? It's a first year special, value should be going up, hope they did not switch speedo when they switched tach ? Front and rear discs, watch the back, panic stops can get you going backwards easy. I had one, many that I wish I still had. Electronic ign. would help to !
                  Luck, Done
                  76 XS650 C ROADSTER
                  80 XS650 G Special II
                  https://ibb.co/album/icbGgF
                  80 XS 1100 SG
                  81 XS 1100LH/SH DARKHORSE
                  https://tinyurl.com/k6nzvtw
                  AKA; Don'e, UD, Unca Don'e

Comment

I have four XS650's in my garage. They're great bikes. Several of them will bring a lot more money than an XS1100. The 650 twin is not a Brit design. Hosk copied the German Horex design. Hosk was absorbed my Showa, then Showa by Yamaha. That is how Yamaha acquired its first big four stroke powerplant.

The early Specials are particularly attractive and the 650 was Yamaha's first Special. Custom builders love them too. They're fast falling to the Sawzall.

The metal side covers are bad about falling off, so you may want to look into modifying the latches. Another thing is the charging rotor. If it's original, it will short out and fail in short order. They all do. A quality rewind will last forever. Custom Rewind in Alabama is probably the best place to get one. The ones Mike's XS sells have been reported as junk.

Anyway, I think it was a great buy on an appreciating classic. Good luck with it!
                    Marty (in Mississippi)
                    XS1100SG
                    XS650SK
                    XS650SH
                    XS650G
                    XS6502F
                    XS650E

Comment

Originally posted by jetmechmarty View Post
                      I have four XS650's in my garage. They're great bikes. Several of them will bring a lot more money than an XS1100. The 650 twin is not a Brit design. Hosk copied the German Horex design. Hosk was absorbed my Showa, then Showa by Yamaha. That is how Yamaha acquired its first big four stroke powerplant.

The early Specials are particularly attractive and the 650 was Yamaha's first Special. Custom builders love them too. They're fast falling to the Sawzall.

The metal side covers are bad about falling off, so you may want to look into modifying the latches. Another thing is the charging rotor. If it's original, it will short out and fail in short order. They all do. A quality rewind will last forever. Custom Rewind in Alabama is probably the best place to get one. The ones Mike's XS sells have been reported as junk.

Anyway, I think it was a great buy on an appreciating classic. Good luck with it!
                      Sweet! Gf came home and I showed her the bike, she said I dont want a vintage bike. I said honey, new bikes are junk and not made to last. Then we looked at prices of bikes 1 or two years old and a moped was $2k! She is now on board to get this one.

And the color is not that bad, burgundy and all

Comment

Score!

Originally posted by Blank Slate View Post
                        Sweet! Gf came home and I showed her the bike, she said I dont want a vintage bike. I said honey, new bikes are junk and not made to last. Then we looked at prices of bikes 1 or two years old and a moped was $2k! She is now on board to get this one.

And the color is not that bad, burgundy and all
                        Yeah, I think you really scored a nice one here!

Good job!
                        Marco

Current bikes:
                        1979 Yamaha XS Eleven Special (SF)
                        1979 Honda CBX
                        2002 Kawasaki ZRX1200R

Rest in Peace, Don Glardon (DGXSER) 1966-2014
                        WE MISS YOU, DON

Comment

You can't go wrong with an xs650 in great condition. It will hold its value (up here in Canada anyway). It's a nice ride, and people flock to them when you stop at Tim's for a coffee.
                          1980 G
                          Jardine Spaghetti

http://s1337.photobucket.com/user/Ug...ish/slideshow/

Comment

Originally posted by 1887 View Post
                            You can't go wrong with an xs650 in great condition. It will hold its value (up here in Canada anyway). It's a nice ride, and people flock to them when you stop at Tim's for a coffee.
                            Monday I went up to see the bike. Just as nice as in the pictures. He started it and it sounded beautiful. My gf was there and she liked the bike.

So how does insurance work? Is it like a car where we insure the bike to one primary driver and anyone with a license can use it? Gf is older than me with better driving record (car wise), but neither of us have an m1 yet. I am looking around for quotes and the first place gave me a $1,700 annual shocker! That was for me alone.

Comment

Insurance

Originally posted by Blank Slate View Post
                              Monday I went up to see the bike. Just as nice as in the pictures. He started it and it sounded beautiful. My gf was there and she liked the bike.

So how does insurance work? Is it like a car where we insure the bike to one primary driver and anyone with a license can use it? Gf is older than me with better driving record (car wise), but neither of us have an m1 yet. I am looking around for quotes and the first place gave me a $1,700 annual shocker! That was for me alone.
                              You need to get several more quotes! That is ridiculous. Maybe look at one of the vintage vehicle insurers.
                              1981 XS1100H Venturer
                              K&N Air Filter
                              ACCT
                              Custom Paint by Deitz
                              Geezer Rectifier/Regulator
                              Chacal Stainless Steel Braided Brake Lines
                              Chrome Front Rotor & Caliper Covers
                              Stebel Nautilus Horn
                              EBC Front Rotors
                              Limie Accent Moves On In 2015

Mike

Comment