No announcement yet.

XJ550 float level

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

They are not the prettiest but they should clean up.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1982-Yamaha-...b27221&vxp=mtr

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1981-83-Yama...a6e465&vxp=mtr
    Ty

78 XS1100E - Now in Minnesota
    80 XS1100LG - The Punisher
    82 XJ1100 - Current project - The Twins
    82 XJ1100 - Wife's Bike - The Twins
    82 XJ1100 - Daughter's Bike
    72 Suzuki TS125 - Daughter's Bike
    72 Yamaha Mini JT2 - Youngest Daughter's bike (She wants a bigger one now)

Comment

Greg, we are parting an XS 400 right now, what can we assist with?
      Matt
      81H Rebirth/Custom Build
      1st Gen RX7; Audi quattro; Wrangler JK
      PanikSwitch Cycles - Brewer ME
      http://s48.photobucket.com/user/Arth...201100%20Build

Comment

Thanks Matt but the XS400 and the XJ550 are two completely different animals.
        Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

Yes I see, got excited skimming John's post and jumped.
          Matt
          81H Rebirth/Custom Build
          1st Gen RX7; Audi quattro; Wrangler JK
          PanikSwitch Cycles - Brewer ME
          http://s48.photobucket.com/user/Arth...201100%20Build

Comment

Another XJ 550 question.

Does this bike take the same valve shims as the XS11?
            Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

looking on ebay just now it appears so........29mm
              Greg

― Albert Einstein

The list changes.

Comment

1981 Maxim 550 in my stable.

Originally posted by BA80 View Post
                Do any of you out there HAVE an XJ550J?
                YES. I have one in the heard ~ 1981 Maxim 550.....

Let me know what pics you need.... Will get them for you tomorrow afternoon (after I set the carbs on The Duck).

You will need the YICS eliminator to tune the carbs properly. Contrary to what some have experienced..... I have personally found that my XJ 550 runs SIGNIFICANTLY ASTRONOMICALLY ABSOLUTELY UNBELIEVEABLY better once properly tuned WITH the YICS eliminator installed, and then REMOVED until needed again for tuning.

Did you ever get a side cover?

KURT

P.S. I hope your Nephew(?) is not a true beginner rider ....My little XJ550 will really move (0->60~ anyway). It's a really nimble little bike with a bunch of power for a little 550!
                Kurt Boehringer
                Peachtree City, Georgia

1970 - CT70K0 - Mini-Trail
                1978 - SR500 - Thumper
                1979 - CT70H - Mini-Trail
                1979 - XS1100SF - Pensacola
                1980 - XS850SG - Rocky
                1980 - XS1100SG - The Ugly Duck
                1980 - XS1100SG - Mayberry Duck
                1981 - XS1100SH - DEAD Duck Cafe'
                1981 - XJ550 Maxim - Nancy's Mini-Max
                1982 - XJ650 SECA - Hurricane
                1986 - FJ1200 - Georgia Big Red
                1992 - FZR1000 - Genesis
                2016 - FJR1300A - Montgomery

Comment

This one has a YICS eliminator in it now.

I need to see what the battery box is supposed to look like. I bought one off fleabay but I don't think it's the right one.

Yes, I did get the other side cover for it.

I'm looking for a little dirt bike to teach my nephew on before I turn him loose on this. He's pretty savvy though, I might be able to ease him off on this one.

Greg

― Albert Einstein

The list changes.

Comment

Battery Pics

Originally posted by BA80 View Post
                    I'm looking for a little dirt bike to teach my nephew on before I turn him loose on this.
                    Greg,
                    I'm hopeful I can teach my wife Nancy to drive my XJ. She drives a stick shift Honda Accord to work everyday so the clutch & shifting should not be any issue. However, like you, I'm thinking that something along the line of an old DT175 or something similar that could be dropped without significant damage would be a better place to start. She's much too short and timid to ever be able to handle an XS11. The XJ550 is a blast and I think she could EVENTUALLY learn to drive it and feel comfortable on it. If she twists the throttle too far too early in the learning process this thing will climb a tree The XJ550 is definitely NOT an interstate highway bike as it gets blown around a little too easy. I've been driving motorcycles for 40 years+ and I get VERY nervous with it on a highway. It also has a limited top end.

Here's some battery pics...... Let me know if this is sufficient.....

I'm missing a tiny little piece of the cover as noted in red.

Right Side

Left Side

Overall

With cover installed.......

Hope that is what you are needing.

Sincerely,
                    Kurt
                    Kurt Boehringer
                    Peachtree City, Georgia

1970 - CT70K0 - Mini-Trail
                    1978 - SR500 - Thumper
                    1979 - CT70H - Mini-Trail
                    1979 - XS1100SF - Pensacola
                    1980 - XS850SG - Rocky
                    1980 - XS1100SG - The Ugly Duck
                    1980 - XS1100SG - Mayberry Duck
                    1981 - XS1100SH - DEAD Duck Cafe'
                    1981 - XJ550 Maxim - Nancy's Mini-Max
                    1982 - XJ650 SECA - Hurricane
                    1986 - FJ1200 - Georgia Big Red
                    1992 - FZR1000 - Genesis
                    2016 - FJR1300A - Montgomery

Comment

Thanks Kurt. It looks like I do have the correct one, I just couldn't figure out how it went in there.

I would like to delete the airbox and go with some pods but everything else including the side covers attaches to it in some way. The carbs are a PITA to R & R with the airbox.
                      Greg

― Albert Einstein

The list changes.

Comment

airbox and carbs

If you push the carb boots into the airbox, the carbs exit the intake manifold boots nicely.

It is a bit of a pain getting the boots back out of the airbox for sure.
                        82 XJ1100 - sold
                        96 Honda Magna 750 - Girlfriend's bike
                        2000 ZRX1100 - sold
                        2003 FJR1300 - Silver rocket

Comment

I sold my XJ550 seca bobber last spring. A word of warning, when properly tuned these things will flat out scoot. First time I ripped the throttle I wasn't prepared for the level of acceleration it had and about slid off the back end. They are a blast to ride and handle twisties with ease. Light, nimble, and fast.
                          To pull the carbs with the airbox installed remove the intake boots between the carbs and box. It helps to warm them up with a blow dryer first. when re-installing them warm the boots up with warm water so they are more flexible and they'll slide right in.
                          Last edited by Abnorml; 01-17-2016, 10:45 PM.
                          80 XS1100SG (the Lazarus Effect)
                          81 XJ550 bobber (sold)
                          81 XS850 (sold)

Comment

Working...
                          X