XJ550 float level

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• XJ550 float level

Anyone know the float level setting on an XJ550?
    Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

This is taken from the XJ550 Clymers...

Use a piece of clear vinyl tubing with an inside diameter of 0.24
    in. (6 mm). The tubing should be long enough to
    reach from one side of the carburetor assembly to
    the other.

After the carburetor assembly is level hold the
    loose end of the tube up against the No. 1
    carburetor body. Check the fuel level in the tube. It
    should be 0.079 ±0.039 in. (2 ± 1mm) below the
    top surface of the float bowl.
    Last edited by bikerphil; 03-20-2015, 08:38 AM.
    2H7 (79)
    3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

Scroll down to the last page of this link and it has model specific float levels.

http://www.xj4ever.com/setting%20fuel%20levels.pdf

And bikerphil is spot on as in they are "wet set"
      Last edited by Schming; 03-20-2015, 08:51 AM.
      1980 XS1100G "Dolly G" Full Dresser (with a coat of many colors )
      1979 XS1100SF (stock-euro mods planned)
      1984 XV700L Virago (to be hot-modded)
      1983 XJ750MK Midnight Maxim (semi-restored DD)
      1977 XS650D ( patiently awaiting resto)

Sometimes it takes a whole tank of gas before you can think straight.

Comment

Thanks but I already found that. I was wondering about the initial FLOAT level. I don't want to take these things back apart 50 times to get it right.

And those fuel level specs don't specify whether that's above or below the gasket.
        Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

This link states a 21.5mm dry height for Mikuni BS28 carbs which, from what I've researched should be on the XJ550.

http://xjbikes.com/forums/index.php?...burator.39380/

What year & model ?

I believe the wet height is set accordingly from the edge of the carb body.

Comment

Thanks, that's what I was looking for.

It's an 82 550 Maxim.
            Greg

― Albert Einstein

The list changes.

Comment

Greg, the dry height is set with the carbs tilted at an angle that allows the float tang to just come in contact with the float pins anti-shock mechanism.

Comment

I've tried it that way before and I've ended up with flooding problems. I have better results with the carbs inverted. We'll see.
                Greg

― Albert Einstein

The list changes.

Comment

Just repeating what was stated on the XJ site, but now that you've mentioned it, you'd think that procedure would set the fuel level lower as the floats would be measured higher, but the valves need some pressure to seal which demands more movement of the float so I can see where a raised fuel level may result.

Honestly, I don't recall ever reading the tilted carb procedure til today and I believe I've set all floats to date the same way you have . . . must've 'cause they all run fine.

Comment

Yeah, I got the same info on an XV1100 Virago I was working on and set the floats that way. Had to pull the carbs again (a real PITA on an XV) and reset them inverted.
                    Greg

― Albert Einstein

The list changes.

Comment

The "wet set" process is truly a pain in the arse. Being a fan of shortcuts, I did the wet set on one carb on my "free" '82 550. Once I had the one float level dialed in, I set the other three to the same measurement (which I did not write down). Reassembled the whole thing and fired 'er up. Synced the carbs after I figured out that YCIS caca. Idled good, ran good, was pretty dam spry for a 500 I must say. Plugs reading just fine so maybe I got lucky on my shortcut.
                      When a 10 isn't enough, get a 11. 80g Hardbagger

Comment

Thanks Keoki, thanks a lot for not writing it down.

I'll try the 21.5 on one and check it with the tube. That sounds about right for these 28mm carbs.
                        Greg

― Albert Einstein

The list changes.

Comment

Another question. I got the floats set pretty good and it runs pretty good in the garage.

Do any of you out there HAVE an XJ550J? I need to know what the battery box is supposed to look like installed. Pics would be much appreciated.

Also, I need a rebuildable front master cylinder, and a right side cover. Ebay is pretty slim on those things at a decent price.
                          Greg

― Albert Einstein

The list changes.

Comment

Greg that master cylinder is bad? On the XS400 I used one from MikesXS and it worked fine.
                            There were two covers in the lot. Keep looking.

John
                            John is in an anonymous city with an Alamo (N29.519227,W-98.678980)

Go ahead, click on the bikes - you know you want to...the electrons are ready.
                            '81 XS1100H - "Enterprise"
                            Bob Jones Custom Navy bike: Tkat brace, EBC floating rotors & SS lines, ROX pivot risers, Geezer rectifier, new 3H3 engine

"Not all treasure is silver and gold"

Comment

Yes, it's bad. Frozen. It's an aftermarket MC anyways.

I'm fixing it up for my nephew and I want it as original as possible.
                              Greg

― Albert Einstein

The list changes.

Comment

Working...
                              X