No announcement yet.

'79 Honda CX500 worth it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A bit small to be mucking about with, IMO. Also, all the complications of an antiquated water cooling system. They were affectionately known as 'plastic pigs' here in the UK. Or maybe not affectionately....
    XS1100F 1980 European model. Standard. Dyna coils. Iridium plugs. XS750 final drive (sometimes). Micron fork brace. Progressive front springs. Geezer regulator/rectifier. Stainless 4 into 2 exhaust. Auto CCT (Venturer 1300) SOLD. New project now on the go. 1980 European model.

Comment

I'm probably going to pass on the guys offer. It's neat, sorta unique looking, and can be really nice if built well, but I still think the car is worth more and he doesn't want to sweeten the pot. I'm sure once my round headlight, rear brake light, and Morgan carbtune shows up, I'll have more than enough to do throughout the winter on the XS to keep me busy...(spoiler:...it will probably involve yet another color change and maybe some battery/electronics relocation). Brand new set of black 7/8 clubman bars up for grabs...look great but don't clear the standard tank enough to keep me from swearing.
      81 H "Traumaha"
      06 KLR 650
      06 Katana 600 (Sold)
      05 Star 1100 (Sold)
      78 GS1000 Cafe (Traded for a Chrysler 68 Newport)
      79 RD400 (Stolen)
      78 KE175
      Schwinn Tricycle red (with a loud bell)

Comment

Originally posted by James England View Post
        A bit small to be mucking about with, IMO. Also, all the complications of an antiquated water cooling system. They were affectionately known as 'plastic pigs' here in the UK. Or maybe not affectionately....
        Hi James,
        you sure about the "plastic pig" being the Honda CX500?
        I'd have thought the name was more appropriate for the Honda Pacific Coast:-
        http://lumenosity.blogspot.ca/2010/0...800-pc800.html
        Mind you, if a P.C. was painted gloss black with gold pinstripes it could be thought to look like a portly tribute to a Vincent Black Prince.
        Fred Hill, S'toon
        XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
        "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

Originally posted by fredintoon View Post
          Hi James,
          you sure about the "plastic pig" being the Honda CX500?
          I'd have thought the name was more appropriate for the Honda Pacific Coast:-
          http://lumenosity.blogspot.ca/2010/0...800-pc800.html
          Mind you, if a P.C. was painted gloss black with gold pinstripes it could be thought to look like a portly tribute to a Vincent Black Prince.
          Oh dear...not my cup of tea, that one!
          XS1100F 1980 European model. Standard. Dyna coils. Iridium plugs. XS750 final drive (sometimes). Micron fork brace. Progressive front springs. Geezer regulator/rectifier. Stainless 4 into 2 exhaust. Auto CCT (Venturer 1300) SOLD. New project now on the go. 1980 European model.

Comment

Working...
          X