'79 Honda CX500 worth it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• '79 Honda CX500 worth it?

I have my 68 Chrysler Newport up for sale or trade on one of the online marketplaces. Car is worth around $3000, (needs work). Had a guy respond with a 1979 Honda CX500 with what appears to be a good quality cafe build done to it, (raw polished tank, new tires, clip ons, professional seat, new shocks, etc...) anyone know what these are worth? Are they decent bikes? My 81 XS1100 has already gone through the cafe treatment and I know what to look for, just know nothing about that particular model.
    81 H "Traumaha"
    06 KLR 650
    06 Katana 600 (Sold)
    05 Star 1100 (Sold)
    78 GS1000 Cafe (Traded for a Chrysler 68 Newport)
    79 RD400 (Stolen)
    78 KE175
    Schwinn Tricycle red (with a loud bell)

I have an '82, and it's a fun bike. It was heavy, flying V engine, liquid-cooler, no electric start, nig wheels, (19" front), etc. I'd never buy another small displacement bike again though.
    1979 XS1100F
    2H9 Mod, Truck-Lite LED Headlight, TECHNA-FIT S/S Brake Lines, Rear Air Shocks, TKAT Fork Brace, Dyna DC-I Coils, TC Fuse Block, Barnett HD Clutch Springs, Superbike Handlebars, V-Star 650 ACCT, NGK Irridium Plugs, OEM Exhaust. CNC-Cut 2nd Gear Dogs; Ported/Milled Head; Modded Airbox: 8x8 Wix Panel Filter; #137.5 Main Jet, Viper Yellow Paint, Michelin Pilot Activ F/R, Interstate AGM Battery, 14MM MC, Maier Fairing, Cree LED Fog Lights.

Comment

Reliable engine, reliable bike. Wrong way v-twin that was intended to be a smaller version of the Goldwing, not a hotrod. Most runners sell for $500-$1000 Would need to be perfect and very unique to be worth $3000.
      I wouldn't.
      82 XJ

Comment

Originally posted by senrak View Post
        Reliable engine, reliable bike. Wrong way v-twin that was intended to be a smaller version of the Goldwing, not a hotrod. Most runners sell for $500-$1000 Would need to be perfect and very unique to be worth $3000.
        I wouldn't.
        I agree, maybe if it was a Turbo.
        '79 XS11 F
        Stock except K&N

'79 XS11 SF
        Stock, no title.

'84 Chevy K-10 "Big Blue"
        GM 350, Muncie SM465, NP208, GM 10 Bolt with 3.42gears turnin 31x10.5 Baja Claws

"What they do have is an implacable, unrelenting presence and movement that bespeaks massive power lurking behind paint and chrome. They don't wail like a screeching ninja, the don't rumble like a harley. They just growl like a spactic, stressed out badger waiting to rip your face off and eat your soul." Trainzz~RIP~

Comment

I had a 79 CX500, it was way under powered in my opinion. Not worth more than about $500 even in good shape.
          Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

Like anything else, it is entirely up to you if they are equal value to you.

I would never give 3k for a Cx500 though. If it helps you, NADA still list prices for these old machines. In my experience, in spring when the fever hits, you can sell one for somewhere between very good and excellent value. Later in the season, very good, and this time of year, they get pretty cheap. The sellers spent all summer thinking they were going to fix it and now winter is coming around, SWMBO wants her garage space back, so the bike has to go.
            Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
            80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
            93 GSX600F
            80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
            81 XS1100 Special
            81 CB750 C
            80 CB750 C
            78 XS750

Comment

Originally posted by Garagamus View Post
              I have my 68 Chrysler Newport up for sale or trade on one of the online marketplaces. Car is worth around $3000, (needs work). Had a guy respond with a 1979 Honda CX500 with what appears to be a good quality cafe build done to it, (raw polished tank, new tires, clip ons, professional seat, new shocks, etc...) anyone know what these are worth? Are they decent bikes? My 81 XS1100 has already gone through the cafe treatment and I know what to look for, just know nothing about that particular model.
              Hi Garagamus,
              if it's as nice as this one:-
              http://www.bikeexif.com/honda-cx500-cafe-racer
              mebbe a straight trade would work. Otherwise go for bike + cash.
              Reliable as a rock, will last forever, gotta pull the motor to do any work on it.
              I have an aesthetic aversion to Comstar wheels but that's just me; some folks love them.
              Fred Hill, S'toon
              XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
              "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

Thanks Fred....now you've got me in the mindset of "what could be" as opposed to what is. Beautiful example of a well done up CX.
                81 H "Traumaha"
                06 KLR 650
                06 Katana 600 (Sold)
                05 Star 1100 (Sold)
                78 GS1000 Cafe (Traded for a Chrysler 68 Newport)
                79 RD400 (Stolen)
                78 KE175
                Schwinn Tricycle red (with a loud bell)

Comment

Originally posted by Garagamus View Post
                  Thanks Fred....now you've got me in the mindset of "what could be" as opposed to what is. Beautiful example of a well done up CX.
                  Fred, Did you read the comments under the pic-article?
                  82 XJ

Comment

Marty (in Mississippi)
                    XS1100SG
                    XS650SK
                    XS650SH
                    XS650G
                    XS6502F
                    XS650E

Comment

Dumped mine on the pavement a couple times, those valve covers are fragile.
                      Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

Originally posted by senrak View Post
                        Fred, Did you read the comments under the pic-article?
                        Hi senrak,
                        yes. Mostly variations on what I said; nice to ride, a swine to work on.
                        Fred Hill, S'toon
                        XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
                        "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

Originally posted by fredintoon View Post
                          a swine to work on.

+1.....I can testify to that.
                          Greg

― Albert Einstein

The list changes.

Comment

An ugly 'effin engine. Find something different.
                            1979 XS1100F
                            2H9 Mod, Truck-Lite LED Headlight, TECHNA-FIT S/S Brake Lines, Rear Air Shocks, TKAT Fork Brace, Dyna DC-I Coils, TC Fuse Block, Barnett HD Clutch Springs, Superbike Handlebars, V-Star 650 ACCT, NGK Irridium Plugs, OEM Exhaust. CNC-Cut 2nd Gear Dogs; Ported/Milled Head; Modded Airbox: 8x8 Wix Panel Filter; #137.5 Main Jet, Viper Yellow Paint, Michelin Pilot Activ F/R, Interstate AGM Battery, 14MM MC, Maier Fairing, Cree LED Fog Lights.

Comment

Tune them and jet them correctly, they are great bikes, but they are 500's. After being on the xs11, its going to be a step down. Super reliable once dialed in, and the damn things run forever. Yes ugly but unique. If you can find one, get the 83 cx650, fun fun fun. Its actually a tarriffed 700, and they are quite a blast to ride. I have seen people transplant the 650 block into the 500 frames. But they are not a boilt in thing, takes some tweeking with the shaft.
                              1978 XS1100E In Paint

Comment

Working...
                              X