lucky find 71 CB750

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• lucky find 71 CB750

So a few days ago I saw a kz1000 parked at a fast food place. I pulled in and talked to the guy. You dont see to many of those around and since I have one im working on also I thought I would stop and chat. Ended up going to his place which happened to be the next street over from my house. He had a kz1000 scrap bike I got from him. Beside it he had a super rough what was left of a cb750. We started talking about how bad it was to see one in that bad of shape and missing so much. He said he had 2 others and a bunches of parts. We when to the shed and there were big tubs of parts and random stuff in boxes. Then he showed me the one in his garage that looked like it came off the dealership yesterday besides the conservative custom paint job and matching seat. He said it was his brothers before he died and that he would never get rid of it.

Then he started talking about having too much stuff and he needs to sell his other one cause he had no more room to put it in the garage. I asked where it was at. I wasnt thinking of buying it cause i have too many "projects" and if it looked anything like the one he just showed me it was way out of my price range anyway. As he pulled the three tarps off of it we continued talking and He said that he would sell this bike the parts bike and all the stuff he could find that would fit it for a low price. (wont say how much) I quietly thought to my self that this bike cant look much better then the parts bike. When he pulled the last tarp off I think my jaw hit the floor! I looked at him again and asked if he was sure that he wanted to let it go for that price? He said yeah and that he had thought about it for quite some time and that he wanted it to go to someone that likes old bikes and will take care of it so it doesnt go to waste in the weather behind his house. I had to buy it. There was no way I could have walked away and left it there and felt ok about it. Someone please buy my 81. I need the room! lol.

1979 XS1100 Special. Nicely modified.
    1977 KZ1000 needs everything!
    1971 CB750 Nice Restomod Completed
    1972 CB750 Got it going after 30 years. Getting turned into a old school bobber. Working on a title.

SOLD-1981 XS1100H What got me on this site.
    1980ish virago 535. Room mate left it for rent money. lol.
    1980 XS850 almost stock 20k miles.
    1979 XS750 Parts bike no title.
    1979 XS750 Cafe running,someone else can enjoy it.
    RIP-1980 XS850

The pics dont capture the amount of metal flake and how good this paint and matching painted frame is. rebuilt engine. big bore kit, coils, elect ignition, extended swing arm the list goes on. Maybe for sale but only if the price is right.
    1972 CB750 Got it going after 30 years. Getting turned into a old school bobber. Working on a title.

RIP-1980 XS850

Comment

With that Bike I got a parts bike. its a 72 750 and the was parked in 81 behind a shed. The original owner died and his wife sold it to the guy that I got it from 6 years ago. It sat outside the entire time. I was told she didnt know where the title was and didnt want to mess with it. so the second owner doesn't have a title. The second owner told me that she said it hadnt ran in so long and he told me he never tried to start it cause it had looked like like it has had an electrical fire but he had kept the intake boots plugged incase he needed any parts. The bike sat behind his shed for the next 6 years being stripped of its parts till I got it.

imagine how bad it is rusted and weathered away from sitting so long. if its there is rusted weathered or worn out, but the motor was free and had oil in it. I kicked it over and it showed oil pressure and kicked nicely. I figure what the heck. I pulled out a set of coils and a points plate from the parts bins and put them on and wired directly to a battery and it had good solid spark. I thought heck might as well give it a try so i gave it a small squirt of starting fluid to the intake boots and kicked a few times and it popped over a few times.

I pulled the caps around the valves and took a look and checked clearances and the motor looked clean. I checked the oil and for being 30 years old it didnt look bad and felt like oil. I took the carbs and boots off my 71, put them on and hooked a gas tank up and figured out what the heck lets give it a shot. I put the choke on and kicked a few times and after messing with the idle screw cause there was no throttle cable, it started right up. blew a lot crap out the exhaust but ran really well and solid. ran for about 3-5 minutes. It actually sounded quieter the the motor in my 71 and that ones been rebuilt. Im impressed!

I wish it had a title. I would fix the mechanical stuff and saftey items to make it mechanicaly solid and reliable and keep its aged look to it and just clean it up and clear coat it.

RIP-1980 XS850

Comment

man, that is cool. Maybe you can find a way to get the title. I guess it would be easy to make a rat looking bike with.
        Jeff
        77 XS750 2D completely stock
        79 SF XS1100 "Picky" stock with harley mufflers

Comment

Damn Chuck, your house is starting to fill up! Next thing you know you'll be parking them in the kitchen. LOL!

Alright already, I'll help you make some room by taking the 81H off your hands. I don't know how long I'll be in the doghouse for, but it's what I really want. I was going to 'convert' my G into a full dresser like the 81H, but heck, your's is ready to go.
          Hi, my name is George & I'm a twisty addict!

80G (Green paint(PO idea))
          The Green Monster
          K&N A/F, TC's fuse block, '81 oil cooler, TC's homemade 4-2 w/Mac Mufflers, Raptor 660 ACCT
          Got him in '04.
          bald tire & borrowing parts

80SG (Black w/red emblems & calipers)
          Scarlet
          K&N A/F, TC's fuse block, WJ5, Shoei bags, Raptor 660 ACCT.
          Got her in '11
          Ready for the twisties!

81H (previously CPMaynard's)
          Hugo
          Full Venturer, Indigo Blue with B/W painted tank.
          Cold weather ride

Comment

Great George. Glad to see it will go to a good home. Just text me the details on when you want to pick it up!

RIP-1980 XS850

Comment

And yes I've thought about parking the sparkle one in the man cave. lol

RIP-1980 XS850

Comment

Well ive been doing a little research and reading no the VA DMV site the easiest way of getting a title is going to be calling it an an abandon vehicle. I ran the vin search last night. It cost 25 bucks and it showed no records found and I can claim it on the 13th. Theres some more time after that and a little more paperwork but if this works then maybe others can benefit from knowing this.

RIP-1980 XS850

Comment

I'm glad someone here from xs11 in va is trying this out. If it's not to painful or expensive it'll open up a whole lot of possibilities to keeping these wonderful machines on the road.

Ps. I don't have the wife's blessing, but i don't think I'll be in the doghouse either.

So, how's Tue sound?
                  If not then it'll probably be Sat.
                  Hi, my name is George & I'm a twisty addict!

80G (Green paint(PO idea))
                  The Green Monster
                  K&N A/F, TC's fuse block, '81 oil cooler, TC's homemade 4-2 w/Mac Mufflers, Raptor 660 ACCT
                  Got him in '04.
                  bald tire & borrowing parts

80SG (Black w/red emblems & calipers)
                  Scarlet
                  K&N A/F, TC's fuse block, WJ5, Shoei bags, Raptor 660 ACCT.
                  Got her in '11
                  Ready for the twisties!

81H (previously CPMaynard's)
                  Hugo
                  Full Venturer, Indigo Blue with B/W painted tank.
                  Cold weather ride

Comment

Yeah Tuesday should be fine. Im going to a new command so Im not sure what my working hours will be like but I will let you know.

RIP-1980 XS850

Comment

Well heres a little update on the title process. Yesterday was the end of the first waiting period. I went back online and posted my receipt number and vin number with the intent to auction. Now I have to wait 21 days. So far so good.

RIP-1980 XS850

Comment

Why so coy on the price you paid for this little beauty? I thought we were all pals here and can trust each other.? . C'mon...spill the beans .
                        XS1100F 1980 European model. Standard. Dyna coils. Iridium plugs. XS750 final drive (sometimes). Micron fork brace. Progressive front springs. Geezer regulator/rectifier. Stainless 4 into 2 exhaust. Auto CCT (Venturer 1300) SOLD. New project now on the go. 1980 European model.

Comment

Don't do it!
                          It will just piss James off that he can't get one over there in the same condition for the same price.

Comment

On a side note, did you have to have the VIN verified by any government agency?
                            And are you going to advertise the time and place of the auction?

CZ

Comment

Originally posted by CaptonZap View Post
                              Don't do it!
                              It will just piss James off that he can't get one over there in the same condition for the same price.
                              Absolutely! I just know it will. I feel the same way about all those CBX1000's you have over there too. And the XS1100's. If I were a bit younger, I'd get into shipping a container of assorted big bikes from the US to the UK. It's easy to get what you call a 'title' here (now you would be very envious of that!)... We call it a 'registration document' and it clearly states on it "The registered keeper is not necessarily the legal owner." In fact, our registration system takes no account at all of the legal owner of the vehicle. It makes things easier.....

You're right...I don't want to know..
                              XS1100F 1980 European model. Standard. Dyna coils. Iridium plugs. XS750 final drive (sometimes). Micron fork brace. Progressive front springs. Geezer regulator/rectifier. Stainless 4 into 2 exhaust. Auto CCT (Venturer 1300) SOLD. New project now on the go. 1980 European model.

Comment

Working...
                              X