My New 1989 FZR600

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My New 1989 FZR600

This might be the wrong forum to show off this bike in but I just sold one of my XS11s (the black '78) and went out and bought this bad boy. Got it for a steal and I've never owned a sport bike before. Don't worry I still have the '79 that's just about complete so I'm still relevant here .

I was born in '92 and I grew up with FZRs all over the road since they were so popular at the time. I told myself one day I would own one and that day is finally here. She needs some good old lovin' but should have her up to date on the maintenance by the spring.

You can see the '79 trying to poke into the frame.

78 E - 2to1 exhaust, dynatek coils, special headlight [SOLD!]
    79 F - gas tank refurb, headgasket change, straight pipes, late model carbs, virago lowering shocks, special headlight and gauges, TC fuse block, GSXR-1100 carbs (WIP)

"May my tires not fail me, nor my engine grow cold"

Looks nice Gabe!
    1979 XS1100F
    2H9 Mod, Truck-Lite LED Headlight, TECHNA-FIT S/S Brake Lines, Rear Air Shocks, TKAT Fork Brace, Dyna DC-I Coils, TC Fuse Block, Barnett HD Clutch Springs, Superbike Handlebars, V-Star 650 ACCT, NGK Irridium Plugs, OEM Exhaust. CNC-Cut 2nd Gear Dogs; Ported/Milled Head; Modded Airbox: 8x8 Wix Panel Filter; #137.5 Main Jet, Viper Yellow Paint, Michelin Pilot Activ F/R, Interstate AGM Battery, 14MM MC, Maier Fairing, Cree LED Fog Lights.

Comment

I would love to own one of those. I am looking for something like that right now. I want a sport bike that you don't lay down on. I just looked at a 2012 Kawasaki z1000, that is one wicked bike. I would like to find a good deal on a fzr.
      Jeff
      77 XS750 2D completely stock
      79 SF XS1100 "Picky" stock with harley mufflers

Comment

Originally posted by jjz28 View Post
        I would love to own one of those. I am looking for something like that right now. I want a sport bike that you don't lay down on. I just looked at a 2012 Kawasaki z1000, that is one wicked bike. I would like to find a good deal on a fzr.
        I picked up this bad boy for only $700! Hell of a find with only 19k miles on it. No major damage, just some cosmetic things. Pretty quick, but I haven't really opened her up since all the roads have been wet today.

You can get these fzr600s for dirt cheap nowadays. There's another guy near me that has one for $1000 with a bunch of aftermarket stuff on it.
        79 F - gas tank refurb, headgasket change, straight pipes, late model carbs, virago lowering shocks, special headlight and gauges, TC fuse block, GSXR-1100 carbs (WIP)

Comment

I can never understand the look of dual headlights.

Three looks cool, one looks cool....but two, just looks strange to me.

Other than that, sweet lookin bike!
          79F
          "Excelsior"
          Honda gl1100 handlebar
          Vetter IV fairing with speaker system
          OE headers,Jardine slipons
          Hid headlight 6000k
          Stock jets
          Shinko 712 F & R
          Oe hardbags and luggage rack
          TC fuse block
          K&n filter with oe airbox
          Raptor 660 Acct

Comment

Originally posted by sparkfly88 View Post
            I can never understand the look of dual headlights.

Three looks cool, one looks cool....but two, just looks strange to me.

Other than that, sweet lookin bike!
            Like I said I'm from that "special generational" of 90's kids. To me that dual headlight look is ionic but to most it looks dated. I guess that's why I got it for so cheap. Plus the bunny rabbit ears side view mirrors I can understand looks dumb to most.... hopefully i find a buyer in the spring but in the mean time i love her.

Comment

Originally posted by D0wn5h1ft View Post
              Like I said I'm from that "special generational" of 90's kids. To me that dual headlight look is ionic but to most it looks dated. I guess that's why I got it for so cheap. Plus the bunny rabbit ears side view mirrors I can understand looks dumb to most.... hopefully i find a buyer in the spring but in the mean time i love her.
              Hi Gabe,
              unless your raging testosterone is completely under the control of your iron will, that thing'll kill you.
              Around here the average 600cc sport bike lasts about a week between leaving the dealer and entering the salvage yard.
              That said, the only thing to ask of dual headlights is:- do they show the road better?
              and of the rabbit ear mirrors:- are the cop's flashing lights clearly visible?
              Fred Hill, S'toon
              XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
              "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

I really like the dual headlights. To me, that makes the bike. Its definitely a different era of bikes.
                Jeff

Comment

Originally posted by jjz28 View Post
                  I really like the dual headlights. To me, that makes the bike. Its definitely a different era of bikes.
                  Hi Jeff,
                  it depends on how you define "era".
                  These are the "great leaps forward" in motorcycle design.
                  The general acceptance of:-
                  ~1905. Hot tube ignition to magneto.
                  ~1910. Fixed gear to a transmission.
                  ~1920. Front brake.
                  ~1945. Rear suspension, tele forks, hydraulic damping.
                  ~1970. Disk brakes.
                  Everything after that was fine-tuning existing systems and styling twiddles.
                  Fred Hill, S'toon
                  XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
                  "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

Originally posted by fredintoon View Post
                    Hi Gabe,
                    unless your raging testosterone is completely under the control of your iron will, that thing'll kill you.
                    Around here the average 600cc sport bike lasts about a week between leaving the dealer and entering the salvage yard.
                    That said, the only thing to ask of dual headlights is:- do they show the road better?
                    and of the rabbit ear mirrors:- are the cop's flashing lights clearly visible?
                    I wouldn't say that I have it "under control" but I did get most of my crazy out on my 1100 and the XS400 I had. It's been interesting switch from a muscle bike to this little snappy crotch rocket. I've had the front wheel up already a couple of times by accident and it's been really sobering. I can absolutely see how kids die on these things all the time. I've been riding dirt bikes and atvs my whole life and this little bike even scares me.

I think what he meant by "different era" is the styling. Seeing how different subtle things show up, go out of style, and inevitably come back into style. I love spotting overarching design characteristics that are common to all bikes in a certain decade.

Comment

I have a '77 Honda CB400F Super Sport. I still have fun on that thing! I hardly ride my GSXR's as of late.
                      1979 XS1100F
                      2H9 Mod, Truck-Lite LED Headlight, TECHNA-FIT S/S Brake Lines, Rear Air Shocks, TKAT Fork Brace, Dyna DC-I Coils, TC Fuse Block, Barnett HD Clutch Springs, Superbike Handlebars, V-Star 650 ACCT, NGK Irridium Plugs, OEM Exhaust. CNC-Cut 2nd Gear Dogs; Ported/Milled Head; Modded Airbox: 8x8 Wix Panel Filter; #137.5 Main Jet, Viper Yellow Paint, Michelin Pilot Activ F/R, Interstate AGM Battery, 14MM MC, Maier Fairing, Cree LED Fog Lights.

Comment

yeah, like the gsxr slingshots had the dual headlights. Just a different era of styling. I love it.
                        Jeff

Comment

Working...
                        X