Man I'm giddy!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Man I'm giddy!

I bought an XS750 about 3 months ago for about $100 with a title. It's a basket case but the only thing really missing was the carbs. I haven't really appreciated the bike very much so far and saw it as parts, but I've been checking out XS750 cafe bikes on you tube and now I'm really feeling it. It just so happens that I have one! My next project.

"The Hooligan" XJ1100, Virago Gauge Pods, Screaming Eagle Mufflers, K&N Filter, hand made rear fender, side covers, and solo seat, round bar conversion, small headlight, tail light, and cat eye turn signals, chip fuses, rewired the right way.

Pics: http://s1236.photobucket.com/user/ya...?sort=6&page=1

Ahhh...another pile of rolling joy and frustration! Good luck with that, and you are in the best place to get help with it.
    "Time is the greatest teacher; unfortunately, it kills all of its students."

Comment

Originally posted by LoHo View Post
      Ahhh...another pile of rolling joy and frustration! Good luck with that, and you are in the best place to get help with it.
      Yamaha Triples might be a little better. Good luck with that project, and keep us posted.
      Marty (in Mississippi)
      XS1100SG
      XS650SK
      XS650SH
      XS650G
      XS6502F
      XS650E

Comment

I've got three Triples. Let me know if you need anything. I think I have a bank of MKII's around my house somewhere.
        1979 XS1100F
        2H9 Mod, Truck-Lite LED Headlight, TECHNA-FIT S/S Brake Lines, Rear Air Shocks, TKAT Fork Brace, Dyna DC-I Coils, TC Fuse Block, Barnett HD Clutch Springs, Superbike Handlebars, V-Star 650 ACCT, NGK Irridium Plugs, OEM Exhaust. CNC-Cut 2nd Gear Dogs; Ported/Milled Head; Modded Airbox: 8x8 Wix Panel Filter; #137.5 Main Jet, Viper Yellow Paint, Michelin Pilot Activ F/R, Interstate AGM Battery, 14MM MC, Maier Fairing, Cree LED Fog Lights.

Comment

Originally posted by IanDMacDonald View Post
          I've got three Triples. Let me know if you need anything. I think I have a bank of MKII's around my house somewhere.
          If you do have carbs that'd be helpful, otherwise I might try to fashion a mechanical fuel injection system I've been pondering for a long time. As you can see I'm a long way off from buying anything for it yet. The motor is seized, not that it's usually a big issue on these bullet proof mothers, but I need to see if it will be able to run again. I still have to fix the gears in my XJ11 and paint it too. But I can't wait to get crackin on the triple.
          "The Hooligan" XJ1100, Virago Gauge Pods, Screaming Eagle Mufflers, K&N Filter, hand made rear fender, side covers, and solo seat, round bar conversion, small headlight, tail light, and cat eye turn signals, chip fuses, rewired the right way.

Comment

I got a great idea today. I have a 70's XS650 gas tank in my shed that I saved from a parts bike but really have no use for it. I had it posted on E-Bay for 2 months for 50 bucks, pretty cheap I thought, but I didn't even get any hits so I gave up. Well I finally have a great use for it. I can cut the back section off of it for the cafe style rear fender/seat combo. Then I can use the broad front section of it to make a small wind deflector over my headlight. hehe, it's the perfect shape and even resembles my standard tank except for the knee indentations. It will even wrap around my triple tree. Gonna look goood!

Comment

See, Marty? YOU knew where to direct the boy from this site. I rely on XS11 for advice on everything but marriage.

Comment

Hey Yard, before you find your sawzall, you might want to see if anyone on here wants to trade what you want for what you have. A tank in good shape might be just the ticket for some guy with a wrecked cafe racer with an intact seat.

Comment

It may seem like sacrilege to cut a good tank, but it will still be on a bike.

Comment

Originally posted by Yard Dogg View Post
                    It may seem like sacrilege to cut a good tank, but it will still be on a bike.
                    Hi Dogg,
                    got the taps and filler cap for that tank? Might be of use to someone.
                    Fred Hill, S'toon
                    XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
                    "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

It only has one petcock, doesn't look like much good but I'll save it. The cap is there. I could just wax the tank and use it for a mold so I don't have to cut it. I suck at fiberglass though and would rather weld.

Comment

Originally posted by Yard Dogg View Post
                        It only has one petcock, doesn't look like much good but I'll save it. The cap is there. I could just wax the tank and use it for a mold so I don't have to cut it. I suck at fiberglass though and would rather weld.
                        Hi Dogg,
                        if the tank is only perforated for one tap rather than one of the two is missing, it's a late model XS650 Special tank.
                        My CRS makes me not quite sure but I think I remember that the late model XS650 Special tank's filler cap will fit an XS11 Special tank and it's gas tap will swap with the tap from an XS1100 Standard.
                        You'd have to lift partial FRP molds off the tank to lay up your fairings in.
                        If you just used the tank as a mold the rough hairy side of your new fairings would be on the outside where it shows.
                        OTOH, I've tried welding steel that thin and it warps like a bastard.
                        Fred Hill, S'toon
                        XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
                        "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

I have 2 triples, one bone stock / original, and the other is currently getting "Spirited"

http://www.bikeexif.com/yamaha-xs750

1978 XS1100E , 1979 Special, 1980 XS11 Standard, 1978 & 79 XS750.

2nd Gear is Waaayyyy Overrated !!

Comment

Originally posted by Yamdaha View Post
                            I have 2 triples, one bone stock / original, and the other is currently getting "Spirited"

http://www.bikeexif.com/yamaha-xs750

I've had that bike on my desktop for a few days too! Love it. Love the paint scheme.

Comment

Originally posted by fredintoon View Post
                              Hi Dogg,
                              if the tank is only perforated for one tap rather than one of the two is missing, it's a late model XS650 Special tank.
                              My CRS makes me not quite sure but I think I remember that the late model XS650 Special tank's filler cap will fit an XS11 Special tank and it's gas tap will swap with the tap from an XS1100 Standard.
                              You'd have to lift partial FRP molds off the tank to lay up your fairings in.
                              If you just used the tank as a mold the rough hairy side of your new fairings would be on the outside where it shows.
                              OTOH, I've tried welding steel that thin and it warps like a bastard.
                              This tank looks something like a standard without the knee indents, and has 2 petcocks but is missing one. I had the bike it came from and it was a seventies with spoke wheels and the weird aluminum rims that have the ridges on them, can't remember what they're called. I know the bike was a seventies classic style model set up like a dirt track bike, but never knew the year. I only had it for 3 days. I bought it to make a few dollars for my XJ build. I thought that tank would sell in a hurry considering everyone else was asking $150 for theirs. Weird.

Comment

Working...
                              X