No announcement yet.

virago 250 continues to run when key is turned off

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bike stars and runs without the switch in the circuit the only things that I can think of is , I replaced the headlight bulb a month or so ,maybe pinched a wire and it has rubbed to the point of exposure of the wire or when I wired in her hard bags ,but the only change to the wiring for them was to undo the bullet connectors and add in longer wires with lamp sockets

btw
    It is not run on or dieseling
    Last edited by hamjam; 11-21-2012, 02:43 PM.
    Seamus Ó hUrmholtaigh
    Niimi Moozhwaagan

NOTICE: No trees were destroyed in the sending of this message. We do concede, however, that a significant number of electrons may have been inconvenienced.

Any connection between your reality and mine is purely coincidental.

Member of "FOXS-11" (Former Owner of XS-11)
    and SOXS
    2008 Nomad "Deja Buick'

Comment

Yeah, you need to trace the wires to the ignition circuit and find where its pinched or shorted. I think you should call the bike "Christine"!
      Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
      80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
      93 GSX600F
      80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
      81 XS1100 Special
      81 CB750 C
      80 CB750 C
      78 XS750

Comment

Originally posted by DGXSER View Post
        I think you should call the bike "Christine"!
        nowhere near as scary as SWMBO
        Seamus Ó hUrmholtaigh
        Niimi Moozhwaagan

NOTICE: No trees were destroyed in the sending of this message. We do concede, however, that a significant number of electrons may have been inconvenienced.

Any connection between your reality and mine is purely coincidental.

Member of "FOXS-11" (Former Owner of XS-11)
        and SOXS
        2008 Nomad "Deja Buick'

Comment

Hotwired

Originally posted by DGXSER View Post
          When you stall the engine out, or whatever else you do to stop it, all the lights stay on as if the switch was turned to on, even when it is off, correct? Headlight, dash lights, neutral light...etc.

Have you tried having the key switch loose, but connected, start the bike, then disconnect the switch and see if it continues to run. Just thinking this through. If it is not in the switch then the wires the switch connects are shorted out in the harness somewhere.
          Jim ,
          It sounds almost as though The ignitition circuit has been "hot wired". Do you suppose any unauthorized person took it for a ride and made this modification??

Perhaps 2 wires just rubbed themselves together?,,,?

Good luck wrenching
          Brent in Ga
          It is a great big beautiful world out there
          Brent in GA
          Yamaha 80XS1100SG, HD Firefighter Special Edition 02 Road King, Honda 450 rat, 08 Buell 1125R tour modified, 83 goldwing parts bike gone-traded for XJ1100, 2014 HD electraglide police

Comment

Working...
          X