No announcement yet.

Born Free Four - Motorcycle Madness

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'll be there again next year, Gawd willin' and the creek don't rise. Glad to say I've been to the previous three and wanna keep a perfect record. Sure hope to see some of y'all there in 2013!

Here's a pic of Yer Humble Narrator and my old Shovelhead. It's a 1976, one of the rare FU models with a wideglide.

See ya. Life is short, ride hard mofos...
    Last edited by Shacknasty; 07-05-2012, 11:13 PM.

Comment

Didn't see any nice xs11s then? Just kidding, great looking bikes and girls. Ahhhhh.
      79 XS11 Special (Lazarus)
      80 XS850 Special (Old Faithful)
      80 XS11 Standard sorta stock (Beatrice)
      79 DT 100

Comment

Thats an amazing event all for free...fascinating to see so many different customs and ...I like the really vintage bikes that look like motorized bicycles..like the Whizzers'...and ofc lots of other eye candy too...lots of fun...
        1980 XS650G Special-Two
        1993 Honda ST1100

Comment

Copper tube rear wheel

John what is up with the copper tube coiled on rear wheel...what was that for?

John
          John is in an anonymous city with an Alamo (N29.519227,W-98.678980)

Go ahead, click on the bikes - you know you want to...the electrons are ready.
          '81 XS1100H - "Enterprise"
          Bob Jones Custom Navy bike: Tkat brace, EBC floating rotors & SS lines, ROX pivot risers, Geezer rectifier, new 3H3 engine

"Not all treasure is silver and gold"

Comment

Originally posted by jwhughes3 View Post

John
            That's an oil cooler. You can see it about 20 seconds into this video...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0SyKyGzxRE0

Pure, unadulterated funk!

Comment

Originally posted by madmax-im View Post
              Thats an amazing event all for free...fascinating to see so many different customs and ...I like the really vintage bikes that look like motorized bicycles..like the Whizzers'...and ofc lots of other eye candy too...lots of fun...
              I, like you, appreciate the old machines. the look of a frail bicycle frame with a big old, side-valve thousand cc v-twin stuffed into it looks sooo intimidating. Especially on the old rutted roads of yesteryear. The 1912 Indian in post #5 won "Best Paint' award for it's cracked, cloudy, original paint. Too cool.

Here's a Born Free pic of a skinny little bike that looks like a lotta fun to ride.

Here's a weird slice of Harley history. Back in the Depression HD sent the tooling to build flathead motorcycles to Japan. During WW2 they kicked out the Americans and took over the factory. I believe they ended production in 1961 or 62. Rikou means "King of the Highway" loosely translated.

Ever want a diesel motorbike? This one gets over a hunnerd miles per gallon!

I took about eight hundred photos that day, so I've barely scratched the surface. I promise I won't put them ALL up here!

Last year I met up with forum member g15usmc and had a great time. Maybe next year a few of the XS crew can make a showing. I forgot to promo this year, sorry. I promise to do better in 2013 and give y'all a heads up.

Comment

those last 3 pics did not post...looks like they exceeded the bandwidth...which is weird since a separate picture hosting site shouldnt use any of the forums bandwidth
                1980 XS650G Special-Two
                1993 Honda ST1100

Comment

those last 3 pics did not post...looks like they exceeded the bandwidth...which is weird since a separate picture hosting site shouldnt use any of the forums bandwidth
                  Has nothing to with the forum here. If too many people look at your pics then the pic owners account exceeds the photo hosting sites bandwidth limits on free accounts.
                  Nathan
                  KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
                  K&N Filter
                  #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
                  OEM Exhaust
                  ATK Fork Brace
                  LED Dash lights
                  Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
                  SS Brake Lines
                  Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

Well...none are showing now...
                    1980 XS650G Special-Two
                    1993 Honda ST1100

Comment

You are too popular

For your own good. Have to wait till next month to see them
                      Glad I was in on the ground floor!

John
                      John is in an anonymous city with an Alamo (N29.519227,W-98.678980)

Go ahead, click on the bikes - you know you want to...the electrons are ready.
                      '81 XS1100H - "Enterprise"
                      Bob Jones Custom Navy bike: Tkat brace, EBC floating rotors & SS lines, ROX pivot risers, Geezer rectifier, new 3H3 engine

"Not all treasure is silver and gold"

Comment

Max, when they show up again, I'll send ya a PM. There were some amazing machines there...

Originally posted by jwhughes3 View Post

John

Mr, Hughes, I have to correct myself. After looking carefully at my pics, I realized it is for cooling water instead of oil. It is a water-cooled Knuck and the copper tube is cooled by fan blades on the rear wheel spokes.

A company called Drake built these h2o-cooled Knuckles for use in a racing cyclecar. Pretty rare motor...

Comment

Check this out for info on Drake motors...

http://www.beautyofspeed.com/gallery...rake/index.htm

Comment

Pics are back, Max. Too many people were trying to look at the pics of an amazing day. I posted some of 'em up on the Jockey Journal and that place gets a lot of traffic.

Really hope that next year some of the west coast XSers can roll out. I'd love to see a buncha classic 1100s parked on the grass...

Comment

Working...
                            X