No announcement yet.

Metric bike rider gets first Harley - review

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Every couple of years I go to the "Biketoberfest" that dealers sponsor around this part of the country. Bascially you sign up to ride differnt bikes at different dealers booths/tents. With good scheduling you can ride 5 - 6 different bikes per day. You ride on regular roads and put on a few miles, BMW tends to take longer routes.

This is a good way to see what is happening from the manufacturer's world. Admission is generally $25 - $30 and youmust bring your own helmet and present a valid driver's license with a motorcycle endorsement to sign up for the rides.

After every one of these events I come back to my 4-cylinder metric bikes, both the XJ and the Concours. The big twins just shake too much for my taste. However, improvements are closing the gap.

Biggest diffrence I see is un upgraded braking. Suzuki, for example, uses Brembo components and has excelent brakes across the line. Victory has some units that come standard with forward controls, nice for longer distance cruising.

I cannot stand tank-mounted instrumets. You have to take your eyes off the road to look at them. IMHO this is a safety issue. Perhaps with more ecperience I would not have to look at the speedo so much, but I found it annoying.

Everyone rides for for different reasons and have different styles. For me, doing mostly longer hauls (commute is 115 miles a day) the smoother 4-cylinder rides coupled with a custom seat (Diamond on the XJ, Russell Day-Long on the Connie) beats the twins (except BMW) for my particular tastes.

Once in a while you get a real surprise, like the time Norton introduced their 3-cylinder bike in 2005 (?) It looked odd, but was a rocket with good handling. Fun ride.

If you have a chance to attend one of thes events, do so. Ride some of the new machines and compare notes. It's a great way to spend a day or two.
    Jerry Fields
    '82 XJ 'Sojourn'
    '06 Concours
    My Galleries Page.
    My Blog Page.
    "... life is just a honky-tonk show." Cherry Poppin' Daddy Strut

Comment

11Rider how does your Harley compare in power/acceleration to your XS1100?

Comment

I think it would be easier to get the holeshot on the Sportster for a little distance because it's so easy to launch - low end power right off idle and really nice clutch. No doubt the 11 would overtake it in short order though I will say that with the stage one setup the Sportster is not lacking in overall power. They say it's not too difficult or expensive to get about 95 rear wheel hp out of the Sporty with a 1250 kit and cams. I'm already saving up!
        Last edited by 11Rider; 05-22-2012, 09:14 PM.
        '79 XS11 Special, fork gaiters, Uni pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, ditched the octy, solo seat, T kat fork brace

Purrs like a kitten, runs like a scalded cat

Comment

Originally posted by 11Rider View Post
          ...They say it's not too difficult or expensive to get about 95 rear wheel hp out of the Sporty with a 1250 kit and cams. I'm already saving up!
          You'll need more than a 1250 kit and cams to reach that power level; budget for a set of heads too. The guys to talk to are here: http://www.nrhsperformance.com/
          Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
          '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
          '82 XJ rebuild project
          '80SG restified, red SOLD
          '79F parts...
          '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
          '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
          '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
          '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
          Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
          Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

Hey guys, see if this link works. Check out the video and pics http://xlforum.net/vbportal/forums/s...readid=1469218 Here's and entertaining one too http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jXsoA...eature=related
            '79 XS11 Special, fork gaiters, Uni pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, ditched the octy, solo seat, T kat fork brace

Purrs like a kitten, runs like a scalded cat

Comment

Welcome to the world of HD man! So different from other motorcycling, I consider it a different sport. Nice bike!
              Healthy is merely the slowest rate at which you can die

Some people will tell you that slow is good - and it may be, on some days - but I am here to tell you that fast is better. I’ve always believed this, in spite of the trouble it’s caused me. Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube. That is why God made fast motorcycles, Bubba….Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

Working...
              X