Metric bike rider gets first Harley - review

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Metric bike rider gets first Harley - review

Hi guys, after over four decades of metric bikes I got a deal I couldn't pass up on a 2000 Sportster. My findings were surprising to me. Funny thing, when I went to pick up the bike I thought it handed horrible on the test drive, but for the price I was thinking "fork brace", "steering head bearings", etc. That was until I got it home and found ZERO pressure in the front tire! Just for fun, here's a few things that stand out to me, again, as a metric bike rider new to Harleys:

1. Being the solid mounted engine style, this thing VIBRATES! I'm not necessarily against it, as a matter of fact I kinda like it. However, for really long rides or light touring this may be an issue.
    2. Overall quality seems to be right up there with the Jap bikes, if not a tiny bit better. This was a surprise to me. All components seem real nice, fit and finish is excellent and paint is excellent!
    3. Reliability - don't know yet. Came with one slightly leaky fork seal but other than that she seems to run perfectly and strong. Everything works and has a solid feel to it - I like it!
    4. Power is quite good. Of course my son's FZ! leaves it in the dust, but I can hole shot him for 50 to 100 feet on a good launch. Mine came with a stage one kit and moves quite well. She only turns 2500 RPM at 60 mph and still has more than ample passing power in top gear.
    5. Sound - can't beat it in my opinion
    6. Handling - mixed bag. Now that the tires have air in them she handles quite well although it can be a bit "squirrily" at highway speeds. No signs of the "Harley wobble" in sweepers, even high speed. Light, quick handling at lower speeds.
    7. Comfort - I'm 5'11" and I'm on the cusp of being a little cramped. Not quite - but close. VERY smooth riding suspension - one of the smoothest I've had. That was another surprise. Seat does not agree with my hiney though. I put on a small windshield I had laying around and put some saddlebags on it. Quite a capable machine for just about any type of riding/trip except long haul touring IMHO. Not that the machine is not up to it, it just doesn't have the comfort of some of the big bikes I've had like the Royal Star Venture or Goldwing.

Anywho, just wanted to share my experience with my compadres!
    '79 XS11 Special, fork gaiters, Uni pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, ditched the octy, solo seat, T kat fork brace

Purrs like a kitten, runs like a scalded cat

typical sporty,great around town not up to the long haul.I was a bit surprised at the comment about the handling thoughThe guy next door has one,and he says it handles poorly not surprised about the paint and finish,Imho,I think hogs have the best paint and finish of any bike out there. I almost bought the 100th aniv.model,copper/black, but it didn't fit all my needs.What a beautiful bike though.
    FOXS-XS11SG

2009 Suzuki V Strom 650,Adventure in Touring,I call her "Smooth" SW Motech engine guard,Coocase top case w/ LED brake and tail lights,20" MRA touring screen w/adjusable bracket,Grip heaters,fender ex-tender,Givi hard sidebags

1980 XS11SG-sold
    1999 Vulcan classic-sold
    1982 XJ 650-sold

Old is only a state of mind......John

Comment

It should be a fun bike. My mother has a 1994 Sportster 883 Hugger - my comments are based on riding it.

1. Yep, they vibrate a bit.
      2. I agree - reasonably good quality, and generally simpler than the Japanese bikes.
      3. Other than batteries and light bulbs, my mom's has been great. Hmm, I wonder if that's related to (1).
      4. Must be the 1200, not 883.
      5. Do you have aftermarket pipes? My mom's has factory pipes, and it seems to be mostly engine, not exhaust noise.
      6. Your comments on handling are completely opposite of my experience on my mom's bike. The thing wants to go strait, no questions. You really need to give it some heavy countersteer to turn, and pegs/chrome drags in short order. It's probably due to it being a "hugger" model. I haven't looked up the specs, but I bet they drop the rear more than the front, increasing the trail.
      7. Do you have forward pegs?

Enjoy the bike. Post pics when you can.
      '81 XS11H Venturer - holed up in storage while life happened since 07/08/04
      '81 Kawasaki KE175 enduro - 63 mph of smokey fun, now with collector plates!

Comment

Shoulda mentioned it's a 1200, stage one meaning less restrictive, louder pipes, dynojet kit and K&N air filter. I do have cruising pegs - came with it. Also came with Harley back rest/luggage rack and Harley heated grips. First bike I had with heated grips and I have to say, they are real nice on a chilly night. I'm just surprised I like it as much as I do. We currently have five other metric bikes in the garage along with the Sporty, and in it's own way it holds it's own.
        '79 XS11 Special, fork gaiters, Uni pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, ditched the octy, solo seat, T kat fork brace

Comment

Here it is

IMG]http://i1145.photobucket.com/albums/o508/11Rider/photo.jpg[/IMG]

Comment

Comment

... Just for fun, here's a few things that stand out to me, again, as a metric bike rider new to Harleys:

1. Being the solid mounted engine style, this thing VIBRATES! I'm not necessarily against it, as a matter of fact I kinda like it. However, for really long rides or light touring this may be an issue.

Yep, they vibrate, but for the record not nearly as badly as My XS2 did... Do perform a fastner check from time to time, and use blue locktite on everything.

2. Overall quality seems to be right up there with the Jap bikes, if not a tiny bit better. This was a surprise to me. All components seem real nice, fit and finish is excellent and paint is excellent!

Sorry guys, but quality is MUCH better.

3. Reliability - don't know yet. Came with one slightly leaky fork seal but other than that she seems to run perfectly and strong. Everything works and has a solid feel to it - I like it!

These are very reliable bikes (my '93 has been the most reliable I've owned, including the XS). One thing you do need to do different; make sure you thoroughly warm up the bike before hammering the throttle. Failure to do so will result in oil leaks.

4. Power is quite good. Of course my son's FZ! leaves it in the dust, but I can hole shot him for 50 to 100 feet on a good launch. Mine came with a stage one kit and moves quite well. She only turns 2500 RPM at 60 mph and still has more than ample passing power in top gear.

If you want more, go to the NRHS site; lots of power options...

Potato potato....

6. Handling - mixed bag. Now that the tires have air in them she handles quite well although it can be a bit "squirrily" at highway speeds. No signs of the "Harley wobble" in sweepers, even high speed. Light, quick handling at lower speeds.

Run about 38 in the rear and 40 in the front, that will 'crisp' the handling quite a bit. If it still has the factory 'rocklops' on it, look for some Metzlers next time. Seriously think about replacing the rear shocks with a set of Progressive 412s (stock length). You have a 'standard' Sporty (not the ill-handling 'Custom' or Hugger), I love the way mine handles...

One more pleasant surprise you'll get is the mileage; you should get about 60 mpg on the highway.

One very useful tip; for oil changes, rather than getting hosed at the dealer for a filter, use a FL-1A Motorcraft/Napa 21515 (or equivilent) oil filter. This was used on Ford/Mopar cars/trucks from 1957 well into the 90s, you can buy them virtually anywhere. Fits right on, adds oil capacity, and if you want chrome, pick up a reusable chrome slip-on cover...

Enjoy!
              Last edited by crazy steve; 05-13-2012, 11:17 PM.
              Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
              '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
              '82 XJ rebuild project
              '80SG restified, red SOLD
              '79F parts...
              '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
              '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
              '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
              '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
              Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
              Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

I'd be willing to bet the handling is exemplary with this setup. I thought any Sportster I ever rode handled quite well, except for the forward controls.

I had a friend who had a 1980 Low Rider that came from the factory with a handprint in the paint on the tank. Other than that, I think Harley Davidson fit & finish is the gold standard.

I don't own one. I don't own stock in the company. I don't really aspire to own one. These are just my observations.
                Marty (in Mississippi)
                XS1100SG
                XS650SK
                XS650SH
                XS650G
                XS6502F
                XS650E

Comment

Good reveiw of my review! Thanks Steve. BTW, I already got a "standard" oil filter from Pep Boys and Castrol Synthethic MC oil 20/50. Oil change is ridiculously easy!

Originally posted by crazy steve View Post
                  ... Just for fun, here's a few things that stand out to me, again, as a metric bike rider new to Harleys:

Yep, they vibrate, but for the record not nearly as badly as My XS2 did... Do perform a fastner check from time to time, and use blue locktite on everything.

Sorry guys, but quality is MUCH better.

These are very reliable bikes (my '93 has been the most reliable I've owned, including the XS). One thing you do need to do different; make sure you thoroughly warm up the bike before hammering the throttle. Failure to do so will result in oil leaks.

If you want more, go to the NRHS site; lots of power options...

Potato potato....

Run about 38 in the rear and 40 in the front, that will 'crisp' the handling quite a bit. If it still has the factory 'rocklops' on it, look for some Metzlers next time. Seriously think about replacing the rear shocks with a set of Progressive 412s (stock length). You have a 'standard' Sporty (not the ill-handling 'Custom' or Hugger), I love the way mine handles...

One more pleasant surprise you'll get is the mileage; you should get about 60 mpg on the highway.

One very useful tip; for oil changes, rather than getting hosed at the dealer for a filter, use a FL-1A Motorcraft/Napa 21515 (or equivilent) oil filter. This was used on Ford/Mopar cars/trucks from 1957 well into the 90s, you can buy them virtually anywhere. Fits right on, adds oil capacity, and if you want chrome, pick up a reusable chrome slip-on cover...

Enjoy!

Comment

Originally posted by 11Rider View Post
                    Good reveiw of my review! Thanks Steve. BTW, I already got a "standard" oil filter from Pep Boys and Castrol Synthethic MC oil 20/50. Oil change is ridiculously easy!
                    Make sure you 'burp' the oil line when you change oil; after draining/refilling the tank, pull the line off the frame stub momentarily until you see oil. If you don't, sometimes it can 'air lock' and you won't get oil to the motor.

I've been running the 'Ford' oil filter almost since I got mine. Half the cost of a 'Harley' filter, twice the filter media, and adds 1/2 quart of oil to the total (a good thing); someplace to put the 'extra' oil left over when doing a change. A well-known trick, and 'proven' by hundreds of users. The guy I learned it from holds several land speed records at Bonneville...

One thing nice about these 'versions'; Harley built these pretty much with only minor changes from 1991 through 2003 (and some parts even older/newer will fit), so parts are super easy to find. It does pay to shop around for 'goodies' too, so don't just go to the dealer; you now have a huge aftermarket available.
                    Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
                    '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
                    '82 XJ rebuild project
                    '80SG restified, red SOLD
                    '79F parts...
                    '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
                    '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
                    '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
                    '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
                    Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
                    Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

So true, it can be a whole side hobby just bargain shopping for farkles

Comment

Originally posted by jetmechmarty View Post
                        - - - I had a friend who had a 1980 Low Rider that came from the factory with a handprint in the paint on the tank. - - -
                        Hi Marty,
                        and he tells people the handprint was Willie G's, right? The ultimate H-D collectable.
                        Fred Hill, S'toon
                        XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
                        "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

Originally posted by fredintoon View Post
                          Hi Marty,
                          and he tells people the handprint was Willie G's, right? The ultimate H-D collectable.
                          He should have done that. He bought the bike in Saudi Arabia. It was when AMF had them at their worst. It wasn't a very reliable machine.
                          Marty (in Mississippi)
                          XS1100SG
                          XS650SK
                          XS650SH
                          XS650G
                          XS6502F
                          XS650E

Comment

I can't tell you much about what was, only about what is now. Not a bad machine at all.

Comment

Originally posted by 11Rider View Post
                              I can't tell you much about what was, only about what is now. Not a bad machine at all.
                              I agree, completely!
                              Marty (in Mississippi)
                              XS1100SG
                              XS650SK
                              XS650SH
                              XS650G
                              XS6502F
                              XS650E

Comment

Working...
                              X