Yamaha XJR1300

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yamaha XJR1300

Here's a pic of my new bike. It's an XJR1300. I've modified the engine quite a bit.

I just fitted a Baglux tank cover so that I can use their clip-on tank bags. So the fuel tank isn't shiny in the photo, although the cover is made to look like the original paintwork and is a fantastic fit. I also fitted the small fly-screen and belly-pan.

Engine-wise, I've advanced the ignition timing by 4 degrees, fitted unrestricted inlet manifolds from an FJ1200, K&N free-flow air filter, modified the airbox to allow better air flow, iridium plugs, Dynatek Stage 1 carburettor jets and needles.

The bike owes a lot of its origins to the XS1100....... It's immensely fast though and will spin the rear wheel on a dry road or wheelie at 80mph if the throttle is opened up fully....... awesome, as they say!
    XS1100F 1980 European model. Standard. Dyna coils. Iridium plugs. XS750 final drive (sometimes). Micron fork brace. Progressive front springs. Geezer regulator/rectifier. Stainless 4 into 2 exhaust. Auto CCT (Venturer 1300) SOLD. New project now on the go. 1980 European model.

Looks great! What year is it? I'm not aware that we got those in the US.
    '81 XS11H Venturer - holed up in storage while life happened since 07/08/04
    '81 Kawasaki KE175 enduro - 63 mph of smokey fun, now with collector plates!

Comment

I parked my car very close to one the other day. (I'm working in Germany) If it was available back home, it would be on my short list. As it is, I don't even want to try it. To me, it is what a motorcycle should look like.

Does it retain carburetors, or fuel injection that looks like carburetors? It was nice of the mothership to give you a chain to fiddle with.
      Marty (in Mississippi)
      XS1100SG
      XS650SK
      XS650SH
      XS650G
      XS6502F
      XS650E

Comment

This is a 2004, the last of the carburettor, twin exhaust model. They went to one exhaust and fuel injection after that (which I didn't want). It had only done 1,800 miles when I got it though so really is as-new.

No they weren't sold in the USA.....

Re the chain.... it really is no bother at all, surprisingly,and I would rather have a chain than a shaft on this bike. I've done 1,500 miles on the bike and the chain doesn't need adjusting at all. It's a lot less clunky than the shaft drive and it's quite apparent how much power is lost through a shaft, I reckon. Of course, you can't beat the shaft drive for touring/maintenance etc but there is a price to be paid for it.

The engine is air-cooled and reminds me of a tweaked XS1100 engine. It has a large oil-radiator too.

The brakes are Yamaha R1 and the Ohlin shocks are standard.

The bike is the fastest thing I've ever ridden. The mods make a lot of difference and I'm sure Dynotek do a kit for the XS1100. Basically, to meet emissions laws and variable fuel quality worldwide, bikes are made with compromises to ensure they can be exported anywhere and run on any old fuel quality. The Dynotek kit is specifically for western-grade fuel (ie consistent high quality) and the jets and needle are suited to the bike, not legal demands of the country it was exported to. Same goes for advancing the ignition timing by 4 degrees; it's retarded when new in order to run on any old rubbish worldwide. This is obviously not required when decent fuel is available.

The totality of the Stage 1 kit has made a huge difference on this bike and I bet it would on an XS1100.

The riding position is a la XS11... sit up straight, comfy on the wrists. I couldn't cope with anything else!

Yes... it looks like a motorbike, eh? Not some plastic thing.

It's also very slim...

Here's the day I got it:

Last edited by James England; 05-05-2012, 08:18 AM.
        XS1100F 1980 European model. Standard. Dyna coils. Iridium plugs. XS750 final drive (sometimes). Micron fork brace. Progressive front springs. Geezer regulator/rectifier. Stainless 4 into 2 exhaust. Auto CCT (Venturer 1300) SOLD. New project now on the go. 1980 European model.

Comment

beautiful bike, i would love to have one. Whats the horsepower?
          Jeff
          77 XS750 2D completely stock
          79 SF XS1100 "Picky" stock with harley mufflers

Comment

If they were easy to get in the states I would have one in my garage.... nice bike buddy
            Don
            1979 XS1100SF "Old Man" bought by my Dad brand new in 79, customized in 80 with Vetter, Standard tank, and touring seat. I inherited in 02 when Dad passed. Been riding it since 09. No resto, bike is a survivor...

2007 RoadStar 1700 Midnight Silverado "The Black Pearl" Cobra Slash-downs, K&N filter. More mods to come

old:
            1989 kawi ex500
            1996 yzf-r6
            1999 yzf-r1
            2001 kawi zx-6r
            2000 Ducati 748
            2002 YZF-R1
            2005 V-Star 1100 Classic

Comment

I think i am in love!! LOL
              1980 XS1100LG Midnight
              1991 Honda CBR1000F Hurricane

"The hand is almost valueless at one end of the arm if there be not a brain at the other"

Here's to a long life and a happy one.
              A quick death and an easy one.
              A pretty girl and an honest one.
              A cold beer and another one!

Comment

Very nice!
                Joab

"If nothing else, it will be interesting..."
                Ozark, Alabama

Comment

Originally posted by jjz28 View Post
                  beautiful bike, i would love to have one. Whats the horsepower?
                  Standard, they are 105bhp but, according to most people, the Stage 1 mods add about 20bhp onto that. It certainly felt like after I did them all.

The bike is a lot lighter than an XS1100, of course, and the transmission is lighter. The clutch is hydraulically operated.

I wasn't sure how I'd like the bike but I must say, it's fantastic. The speed of it is frightening.....

Comment

I'm sick with envy James...beautiful machine...IMHO this is the next generation XS1100
                    1980 XS650G Special-Two
                    1993 Honda ST1100

Comment

Originally posted by madmax-im View Post
                      I'm sick with envy James...beautiful machine...IMHO this is the next generation XS1100
                      I think you're correct, you know. I like the bike because it's air-cooled, carburettors amd a Yamaha. Also, it's a physically big bike, although lighter than the XS1100, so it has the 'presence' of an XS1100. The switchgear is lovely (same flasher switch but no self-cancel).

Strangely enough, despite what I thought was a thin seat, it's very comfortable.

I really can't fault the bike. The build quality is excellent. It's a quiet engine and doesn't have the top end rustle of the XS1100.

The bike does have that 'I wish there was a 6th gear' feel to it! The revs are about 500rpm lower in top gear than the XS1100 but there's so much torque and power that I've still found myself looking for 6th. The engine redlines about 9500rpm and generally has a 'revvier' feel than the XS1100.

There's a great similarity with the XS1100 though, in many ways and you can spot the lineage. It feels like an XS1100 with the benefits of modern materials, design etc.

Unsurprisngly, there isn't really a huge comparison performance-wise. The XJR would, without doubt, burn off an XS1100 in a straight line and the handling is vastly better. Having said that, it's not a fair comparison really, is it?

In terms of looks, it's a nice-looking bike and I'm bonding with it nicely!
                      Last edited by James England; 05-06-2012, 07:56 AM.

Comment

Green with envy!
                        Nathan
                        KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
                        K&N Filter
                        #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
                        OEM Exhaust
                        ATK Fork Brace
                        LED Dash lights
                        Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
                        SS Brake Lines
                        Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

We all want one here at XS11.com At best, 1 in 20 of us would actually buy one and that's being extremely optimistic. Believe me, I like it, but when I'm standing beside it, it's smaller than it appears here. Legs like mine might not like it. I would have to give it a try before I went through the trouble of obtaining one.

Still, that is one sexy machine, IMHO!
                          Marty (in Mississippi)
                          XS1100SG
                          XS650SK
                          XS650SH
                          XS650G
                          XS6502F
                          XS650E

Comment

Originally posted by jetmechmarty View Post
                            We all want one here at XS11.com At best, 1 in 20 of us would actually buy one and that's being extremely optimistic. Believe me, I like it, but when I'm standing beside it, it's smaller than it appears here. Legs like mine might not like it. I would have to give it a try before I went through the trouble of obtaining one.

Still, that is one sexy machine, IMHO!
                            I'm 6' 2" though and did wonder if size would be a problem but it isn't. It really is quite a big machine, although less bulky overall than the XS11.

Comment

Hey James -

Notice the picture of the bike when you got it is without the bug catcher windscreen and belly pan. Did you put these on and where did you get them? Brand? Source?

Bike looks FANTASTIC !!!!!
                              Larry Walker

Ham Radio kw4a
                              ex Submarine Sailor (8 yrs)
                              Dirt Rider 1970-1980
                              Sreet Rider Touring 1980-2000
                              Couch Potato 2000-Present
                              1980 XS1100 Standard
                              1979 XS650 Special
                              2000 BMW R1150GS

Comment

Working...