Another new (to me) bike!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Love the retro

I love the 'old' look' guess that why my bike is 30 yrs old. But, an older look (whitewalls, studs etc) like yours reminds me of the bikes from the 40 & 50's & thats the momma man! To me anyways. Great ride, If I had the bucks I'd b right there with ya, maybe someday. To me you just can't beat the old look, its got character, something you can't get with every bike, & that bikes got it man. I'd walk across the parking lot to check it out - Dan
    '81 XS1100 LH - Midnight Special - been lookin' a long time for this one.
    1179 big bore kit, 80SG motor
    Rebuilt head, valves
    TC Bros Forward Controls (Brass Pegs)
    Tkat Fork Brace
    T.C. Spade Fuse Box
    Dyna Coils & wires
    Mikesxs shocks,controls,& bars (special)
    ISO grips with stelleto ends
    4 into 1 black Bassani exhaust
    Bridgestone Spitfires
    Tuned by Tinman905
    & a will to keep it.

Comment

Originally posted by T99Ford View Post
      After doing a little wrangline around, I finally ended up with a big road bike for the wife and I to do a little two up on. Bags, ride, and all the rest, I found a deal on this that I could not pass up: - - -
      Hi T99,
      while my own circumstances won't let me buy ~800 lbs of pure unaffordium, congratulations on your purchase.
      However, you won't travel very far 2-up with your wife perched on that nasty little (and now detachable) flapper bracket, eh?
      I've seen Hogley-Poodlesons (and to be fair, Honda Lead Sleds too) wearing throne-like pillion seats complete with arm rests, backrests and stereo systems; anyone who can lash out $500 to change his 'bars could surely afford to install one of those to keep his wife comfy for the long haul?
      Fred Hill, S'toon
      XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
      "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

Congratulations on the nice ride!

Although I never had a softtail, I'm the PO of an '84 ironhead, a '59 flh full dresser, an '87 FXR ( the best motorcycle HD ever made), & a full dress (all the plastic, bat wing, etc) 98 FLH.

To all those salivating xs'ers, I now own 4 xs1100's & never had a better motorcycle. Don't let the legend fool you.
        Tom Clisham

Age is relative YOU WON"T GET OLD TIL YOU SELL THE BIKE

'78xs1100E ,all stock & original GONE TO WISCONSIN

'80 SG Vetter fairing,hard bags,trunk,fork brace,
        stock headers with fishtail mufflers,black & beautiful GONE TO ARIZONA

79SF lowered,jardine 4/2 exhaust,pod filters,drilled rotors,fork brace, bar hopper

79SF 1 owner,8000 miles, restoring to completely original ( I hope) GONE TO FRANCE

Comment

Thanks, Fred! I actually have a sissy bar and stuff for the rear, but she asked that I take it off. It turns out that she has an eye for aesthetics, as well!!

Tom,
          I don't think anyone is blindly worshipping the bar and shield here. It turns out that motorcycles are like tools in a tool box. A screw driver is not a hammer, though they are both tools. You might even have a multitool, which does the job of many tools, though not as well as the dedicated item.
          In the case of motorcycles, you have cruisers and sportbikes, or the multitool--the XS. Having had them all as well, I can tell you the Harley is the better cruiser, my VTR is a much better sportbike, and the XS can abley do a good average of both, though not as well specifically as either of the others.
          For me personally, the XS was not fast enough and did not have good enough handling at speed to be an effective sportbike (believe me, I tried). Likewise, it was not big enough for me in the capacity of a full on road bike. I understand that there are many out there for which the XS is both fast and large enough to achieve their intended riding experience. What I describe is for me and my preference only. I had a truly good experience with my XS, and it never let me down.

It turns out, you just have to have one of all of them!
          Healthy is merely the slowest rate at which you can die

Some people will tell you that slow is good - and it may be, on some days - but I am here to tell you that fast is better. I’ve always believed this, in spite of the trouble it’s caused me. Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube. That is why God made fast motorcycles, Bubba….Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

Hey, no offense man.

It's just that some younger riders think that they have to ASPIRE to a Harley
            even though they're frequently not financially feasible. Truth is, I guess until
            you have one you'll never know.

I just don't want xs'ers to think less of the xs1100. It is a great bike.

Enjoy that softtail, it's a beauty. Looks very much like my old '59 FLH. I spose that's why they named it the Heritage.
            Tom Clisham

Age is relative YOU WON"T GET OLD TIL YOU SELL THE BIKE

'78xs1100E ,all stock & original GONE TO WISCONSIN

'80 SG Vetter fairing,hard bags,trunk,fork brace,
            stock headers with fishtail mufflers,black & beautiful GONE TO ARIZONA

79SF lowered,jardine 4/2 exhaust,pod filters,drilled rotors,fork brace, bar hopper

79SF 1 owner,8000 miles, restoring to completely original ( I hope) GONE TO FRANCE

Comment

love that shirt
              Trapped in time. Surrounded by evil. Low on gas.

1980 XS1100G 1179 kit, Tkat brace, progressive springs & shocks, jardine spaghetti, Mikes coils, Geezer's rectifier

Comment

Tom--No offense taken I agree in your assessment that a Harley is not the Holy Grail to be aspired to. It is a purpose oriented machine, and I wanted a cruiser. Certainly not knocking the 11, which is a great bike in its own right. I would love to see pics of your '59 if you have some!

Elevener--I just don't think you will let me live this down, will you Don't worry, I am planning a RADICAL build for the winter. Just a hint, but I am building the frame and everything, and the seat base is the gas tank Oh, and no fairings, either

Some people will tell you that slow is good - and it may be, on some days - but I am here to tell you that fast is better. I’ve always believed this, in spite of the trouble it’s caused me. Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube. That is why God made fast motorcycles, Bubba….Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

What is your job?

What do you do for a living that gives you this kind of shop time?

Retired?

Independently wealthy?

Lottery?

Inquiring minds want to know!!

I want this job...

John
                  John is in an anonymous city with an Alamo (N29.519227,W-98.678980)

Go ahead, click on the bikes - you know you want to...the electrons are ready.
                  '81 XS1100H - "Enterprise"
                  Bob Jones Custom Navy bike: Tkat brace, EBC floating rotors & SS lines, ROX pivot risers, Geezer rectifier, new 3H3 engine

"Not all treasure is silver and gold"

Comment

Ha, I am a humble heavy diesel mechanic. Actually, more specifically, I now run an ag diesel shop, so I pretty much live and work in the shop all the time. The bikes are just a diversion from that reality.

The projects are pretty cheap for the most part. Buy 'em wrecked and make them all new from scratch. Since I am lucky enough to have the facility and the tools, it is pretty easy.

The Harley is a splurge, born of from the sale of several other bikes into one!

No kids, a great understanding wife, and a severe case of ADD, make it all work out

Comment

Working...
                    X