Another new (to me) bike!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another new (to me) bike!

After doing a little wrangline around, I finally ended up with a big road bike for the wife and I to do a little two up on. Bags, ride, and all the rest, I found a deal on this that I could not pass up:

I have to admit that I love it. Certainly not as sporty as the 11, or as fast, but it certainly rides in style. The mini apes are gone now, replaced with wide beach bars and stainless lines, with the wiring all routed internally. It is just low, wide, and long!

I'm gonna get flamed for it, but I can't help but kinda like it. Oh, and I even still wave at everybody, even those on metric bikes!
    Healthy is merely the slowest rate at which you can die

Some people will tell you that slow is good - and it may be, on some days - but I am here to tell you that fast is better. I’ve always believed this, in spite of the trouble it’s caused me. Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube. That is why God made fast motorcycles, Bubba….Hunter S. Thompson

I like it, even the paint. but needs a lil backrest for the "passenger"

Comment

Oh how the mighty have fallen. And this from the guy who thought two bike was enough.
      Trapped in time. Surrounded by evil. Low on gas.

1980 XS1100G 1179 kit, Tkat brace, progressive springs & shocks, jardine spaghetti, Mikes coils, Geezer's rectifier

Comment

Ha ha! I don't think I will ever just have two bikes. But after riding this, I also don't think I will ever just own Harley. It is nice for its specific purpose, but I will always need something with great cornering and speed abilities! It takes half a mile to turn this around! I am now just adding specific "tools" to my riding repertoire!

So if the fairings ever come for the FZ, the wife has a sport bike, I have one, and then we have this for longer trips. She actually preferred to not have the sissy bar on the back unless we go on a really long trip. Fine with me, since I am not really a fan of the look. The one that was on it kind of went the way of the windshield--into the back closet!

Some people will tell you that slow is good - and it may be, on some days - but I am here to tell you that fast is better. I’ve always believed this, in spite of the trouble it’s caused me. Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube. That is why God made fast motorcycles, Bubba….Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

I could do that, if I ever found one comfortable. I think most Harleys are made for short people. I like the idea of their huge dealer network when touring. Brent is nearing 200K nearly trouble free miles on his '02 Road King. I can't knock it.

The XS11 Special is a much more capable cruiser on a winding road. For me, it's more comfy as well.
          Marty (in Mississippi)
          XS1100SG
          XS650SK
          XS650SH
          XS650G
          XS6502F
          XS650E

Comment

I am not overly tall, but at 6' it fits me pretty well. The seat and that riding position are more comfortable for longer stuff than the 1100 seat was, but I think in that realm one is in the area of personal preference. For twisty riding, the 1100 would beat this thing hands down. It just does not have the ground clearance to maneuver.

Comment

i really like it...

Couldn't spend that kind of cash on one (I do live here you know) but I like the full fender and whitewalls.. old skool

Congrats.

John

(harboring jealousy and resentment in silence)
              John is in an anonymous city with an Alamo (N29.519227,W-98.678980)

Go ahead, click on the bikes - you know you want to...the electrons are ready.
              '81 XS1100H - "Enterprise"
              Bob Jones Custom Navy bike: Tkat brace, EBC floating rotors & SS lines, ROX pivot risers, Geezer rectifier, new 3H3 engine

"Not all treasure is silver and gold"

Comment

The old skool look is what I really dug about this bike. I dropped the bars (to the tune of $500) to get a little better profile, and made the pillion quick attach, so show off all that rear fender. Looks long and low now, so I am happy. Still in sticker shock about it, though. Not like a $20 XS bar change...

With my boss's springer

Comment

Congrats on the bike

You have to give to Harley there due. There cruiser style is unique and cool.

Although they have had there rough patches they have been around over 100yrs.

But man $500.00 for bars do they come with a motor? Just kidding.

Enjoy the bike its a beauty.

Rick
                  XS1100F TKAT fork brace Stock suspension. Vetter Fairing. Pingel Petcocks. Geezer voltage regulator
                  http://s910.photobucket.com/albums/a...t=DSCF3026.jpg
                  650SF
                  http://s910.photobucket.com/albums/a...t=DSCF2647.jpg
                  XS1100SG Project bike
                  http://s910.photobucket.com/albums/a...t=DSCF3034.jpg

Comment

The bar change is brutal. That price was bars, cables, brake lines, grips, gaskets, transmission oil, and brake fluid. It was a radical enough change that it needed all new cable lengths. It looks way better, though, and now the wiring is all internal in the bar. Looks, and feels, way better--cough, cough!

Comment

heck - you spend that kinda dough..

$500 is nothing...

And given all involved sounds justified - looks even better now... have I told you I harbor intense jealousy for you

Enjoy...

John
                      John is in an anonymous city with an Alamo (N29.519227,W-98.678980)

Go ahead, click on the bikes - you know you want to...the electrons are ready.
                      '81 XS1100H - "Enterprise"
                      Bob Jones Custom Navy bike: Tkat brace, EBC floating rotors & SS lines, ROX pivot risers, Geezer rectifier, new 3H3 engine

"Not all treasure is silver and gold"

Comment

Originally posted by T99Ford View Post
                        The bar change is brutal. That price was bars, cables, brake lines, grips, gaskets, transmission oil, and brake fluid. It was a radical enough change that it needed all new cable lengths. It looks way better, though, and now the wiring is all internal in the bar. Looks, and feels, way better--cough, cough!
                        That's not so bad you got your monies worth.
                        Enjoy

Rick
                        XS1100F TKAT fork brace Stock suspension. Vetter Fairing. Pingel Petcocks. Geezer voltage regulator
                        http://s910.photobucket.com/albums/a...t=DSCF3026.jpg
                        650SF
                        http://s910.photobucket.com/albums/a...t=DSCF2647.jpg
                        XS1100SG Project bike
                        http://s910.photobucket.com/albums/a...t=DSCF3034.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by T99Ford View Post
                          The old skool look is what I really dug about this bike. I dropped the bars (to the tune of $500) to get a little better profile...
                          $500 to change bars! You need to get away from the stealer... seriously.

Being a long-term HD owner (10 years plus), I've found that shopping around can save a ton of money. I rarely buy parts from the dealer, and remember you now have a huge parts well to draw from, with lots of sellers competing for your buck. A lot of Harley's accessories are simply rebranded bits from other aftermarket sellers (with that all-important bar and shield put on) so don't limit yourself.

While not a fan of slopt... er, I mean softails, they are a pretty bike and do make good tourers. Enjoy!

Over on the Sportster list, this is known as 'going to the dark side...'
                          Last edited by crazy steve; 05-21-2011, 08:49 AM.
                          Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
                          '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
                          '82 XJ rebuild project
                          '80SG restified, red SOLD
                          '79F parts...
                          '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
                          '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
                          '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
                          '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
                          Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
                          Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

Looks great

I think the bike looks awesome! Love the fishtail exhaust. Would like fishtails on my xs1100. Have the header & crossover from an xj just have to get the $$ to get the fishtails & nerve to get rid of the 4 into one that I really love & try to make it all fit. Great bike man! - Dan
                            '81 XS1100 LH - Midnight Special - been lookin' a long time for this one.
                            1179 big bore kit, 80SG motor
                            Rebuilt head, valves
                            TC Bros Forward Controls (Brass Pegs)
                            Tkat Fork Brace
                            T.C. Spade Fuse Box
                            Dyna Coils & wires
                            Mikesxs shocks,controls,& bars (special)
                            ISO grips with stelleto ends
                            4 into 1 black Bassani exhaust
                            Bridgestone Spitfires
                            Tuned by Tinman905
                            & a will to keep it.

Comment

Thanks bud! I really dig the retro looks and feel of the whole thing. For its specific purpose, it works really well. I could not, however, deal with the tractor style turn indicators anymore, so I have since chanaged to these:

Samson actually makes those fishtails out to 39 inches, mine are 28's. Gives a real lead sled look to the bike. I don't know if I am that extreme, but these sound really cool.

Comment

Working...
                              X