Any Moto Guzzi lovers out there?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jetmechmarty View Post
    I parked a derelict '98 EV 11 in my garage. It has wiring issues, rust in the tank, the fuel/emission system came in separate boxes, and it has corrosion from being left outside. It's on the back burner until I get other things in order.

I think it weighs about the same as the XS11 and has about the same wheelbase. It's also a good bit less horsepower. I look forward to getting it running to see if I like riding it.
    while the Guzzi may make less HP (65 at the ground) it weights less than the XS and due to REALLy tall gearing will top out at 120 mph. 4th gear is over drive, and 5th gear is REALLy overdrive. .95 for 4th gear and .85 for 5th.
    Handling is Top notch. You will really appreciate how it handles the twistes. The brakes are flat, out awesome. HUGE rotors and four piston calipers. The fuel pump is external on the '98, so thats an easy fix, if its been neglected to death. You do not have to get Guzzi brand parts, there are automotive interchanges that cost a lot less.
    LOTS of good information on fixing up that '98 can be foudn at the Wildguzzi/com website and forums.

Comment

LOTS of good information on fixing up that '98 can be found at the Wildguzzi/com website and forums.
      Thanx for the tip!
      Marty (in Mississippi)
      XS1100SG
      XS650SK
      XS650SH
      XS650G
      XS6502F
      XS650E

Comment

Originally posted by jetmechmarty View Post
        I parked a derelict '98 EV 11 in my garage. It has wiring issues, rust in the tank, the fuel/emission system came in separate boxes, and it has corrosion from being left outside. It's on the back burner until I get other things in order.

I think it weighs about the same as the XS11 and has about the same wheelbase. It's also a good bit less horsepower. I look forward to getting it running to see if I like riding it.
        Gratz!

Wiring issues can be usually traced to either relays or ignition switch. And all other usual culprits. Wiring harness and connectors were actually of rather good quality.

Rust in the tank can be dealt with, then just change the fuel filter before you go for a first ride...

It is a bit lighter than the XS... about 20kg. And yes, a bit less horsepower. But to be honest... XS would have a bit of a problem to run away from the cali. Frame, suspension and the whole geometry of the guzzi is way better than the XS. Not to mention the brakes. Tranny is about the same crap. Grin factor... well... guzzi has it.

I have a 79 standard in the garage. Low miles. And a 98 EV. When I go for a ride... I always take the EV. I think that says enuff of the bike.

Oh, before I forget... do some necessary changes... throw out the original H pipe with catalyser... and put a straight thru in. Sound will improve even on stock pipes, also low end torque and HP. Mine is ridable now from about 1200 rpm on.

If you have any questions, go to http://www.wildguzzi.com/forum/index.php

Last edited by strom; 01-02-2011, 04:02 AM.
        If it doesn't have an engine, it's not a sport, it's only a game.
        (stole that one from I-dont-know-who)

Comment

Maybe a bit better pics for comparison...

Comment

Maybe I should read all posts before I write something...

Wildguzzi seems to come up a lot

Lunatic here seems to know all his guzzis better than me...

Comment

I only know Guzzis from being fool enough to own a silly number of the things over the years, and hanging around the Wildguzzi forum.
              If you're transmission is as bad as an XS11 though, somethign is up. Guzzi trannys are clunky, but shoudlnt' be fragging gears like a XS11.
              If its just clunky, check that you don't have a load of linkage slop, thta makes them seem a lot worse than they are. I sell an upgrade shifter bushing that takes the slop out of the shifter itself. Thats where most of the trouble is. Factory bushing is nylon, and sloppy from the factory. The one I sel lis brass, fits a LOT closer, usually needs to be fitted to the bike since the diameter of the pin that the shifter pivots on varies by half a MM eather direction.

Comment

Clunkyness of the shift is what I meant... way more reliable on the guzzi.
                Well, unless its the automatic one... needs a few mods. But I guess can be fun as hell.
                Read the story on wildguzzi where someone put convert auto transmission on his california and went to alaska to test it a bit. A BMW rider points out to his shift linkage: You lost a pin (or bolt or something). The reply was: Thanks, I didnt notice... I didnt shift for a few days now...

I still have to perform the bushing upgrade... but I can do that with local help.

Comment

Working...
                X