Any Moto Guzzi lovers out there?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Guy, Thanks for the info.
    I checked the guards and remember now that Dad has them like the tube style. I'll probably be looking into some of those, but more in need of a triple tree and forks.
    Were the generators interchangeable. I think my Dads is a Bosch and the bearings are bad in it. Not sure what mine has.
    Flatlander

'81 XS11H

Comment

Not sure what year they changed over, but if it's belt driven it's probably Magnetti Marrelli, if it's driven directly from the front of the crank it's Bosch.

Call Harper's, they'll have the info based on Model and Year...and they have the parts you need.
      Last edited by Guy_b_g; 09-24-2010, 01:07 PM.
      Guy

'78E

Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum videtur

Comment

I used to want one of these bad boys for my LeMans when I had it, but could never afford it, the supercharger runs off a crank pulley, the shaft located between the cylinders like the old generators ...sold in kit form by an outfit in Germany. 5,000 Euros!

What a cleanly engineered piece...(drool)

Url: http://www.koehler-mechanik.de/guzzi_index.htm

Last edited by Guy_b_g; 09-24-2010, 08:23 PM.
        Guy

'78E

Comment

Guzzi

I used to sell them in the early 70's, liked them a lot.
          Almost bought an 850 T3 X police bike but the price of $4700- stopped me.
          Did a comparison check to the Yami and bought the 79 XS11S for a lot less $$.
          But I still like the Guzzi's. Just when push comes to shove they are a lot of $$ for not a lot of horsepower. I also have an SV1000S.
          The Guzzi's are truly sexy in a different kind of way.
          The 750 sport of about 1970 vintage was sweet, and the early 1000cc bikes with the black tanks were also sweet.
          They did not wind up the rear end the way the BMW's did.

Uncle Crusty

Comment

Originally posted by b.walker5 View Post
            - - - Only issue I have is knee caps on the cylinder heads. Not an issue if your under 6'1. - - -
            Hi Brian,
            I quizzed my 6'-4" Guzzi buddy about getting his kneecaps cooked.
            He claims his knees are well clear but adds the caveat that if he had to scoot forward enough to carry a pillion rider he just might be in trouble.
            Fred Hill, S'toon
            XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
            "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

Whats he got though Fred..?? On the LeMans the riding position for me was like a half shut pocket knife and my knees were well forward

but on the 1000sp I sat more upright and was fine

pic isnt of my one. Mine didnt have that butt ugly engine cowl, but was otherwise pretty much the same.. Later model ones are much prettier..

1980 SG. (Sold - waiting on replacement)
              2000 XJR1300. The Real modern XS11. Others are just pretenders.

Woman (well, my wife anyway) are always on Transmit and never Receive.

"A man should look for what is, and not for what he thinks should be" Albert Einstien.

Comment

I'm picking up a '98 EV 11 when I get home. It needs lots of work. I just hope it doesn't need too many parts. I shudder thinking about it
                Marty (in Mississippi)
                XS1100SG
                XS650SK
                XS650SH
                XS650G
                XS6502F
                XS650E

Comment

Funny thing about the older SP in the pic...MotoGuzzi was one of the first companies to start using a wind tunnel on their bikes, and ugly as that fairing is, both the SP and the LeMans were actually faster with the fairings on. That one looks like a '78 or '79 and my '78 LeMans upper fairing was similar but smaller, the lower fairing looked the same.

I love the looks of the old round cylinder fins, as opposed to the newer angular ones. They looked like a slice off a radial aircraft engine.
                  Guy

'78E

Comment

I neglected my XS11s for guzzis... got two of them.
                    1984 V35 and a 1998 California EV.

The resource to go:
                    http://wildguzzi.com/forum/index.php

If you need anything else, PM me.

The bike on the pics is a 850-1000-1100 not-sure-what. But it does have an alu gas tank it seems.. which are not cheap.

The old tonti framed bikes with the short swingarm (not cali) are just about the most fun you can have on a bike.

Downsides: The whole electrical system is crap. Parts are harder to find and relatively expencive.
                    Sidesides: Once you get a guzzi, your other bikes will not be ridden anymore.
                    Upsides: Grin factor, handling, torque, sound, some parts fit from other bikes/cars, others can be switched as an upgrade. Engine is bulletproof. Built like a tractor. No hi-tech mumbo-jumbo doohickeys and whatnots.

Carburated versions can be tuned with ease, power commander helps with the injected ones, alltho they can be fooled a bit with TPS settings etc.

You are usually looking at a few different models of guzzi....
                    V7/Eldorado/Ambassador/California? - first V2, crap frame, brakes, but looks cool as hell. Will do many many many miles if serviced right. You can tell them coz they have a generator between the cyls and a bit taller valve covers. Round cyl. fins. 700-850cc.

V750S, S3, 850LeMans (II), SP, T3, G5, Idroconvert (automatic transmission), T4, California etc: Round fin motor, 750-950 cc. Generator sits in front at the end of the crankshaft. I want one. Better brakes, new tonti frame (in use since 1974?-now), solid bikes. If you plan on doing some old-school transformation, use one of these.

850 LeMans III, SP II, T5, California II, III, 1100, 1100i, EV, 1000 Sport, etc: New, square-finned engine, 850-1100cc, some have carbs, others fuel injection, even better brakes etc... You really cant miss if you buy any of these.

Centauro, and other 4 valve/cyl models: Not as reliable, but still good looking. If you really really want one, get it. If not... dont. 1000-1200cc.

Small block 2 valve/cyl models - V35, V50, V65, V75, Nevada, Breva750, new V7 Classic and Cafe: Electrics were even in poorer state on the older models. Reliability... not quite the same as big blocks, but good enough. 350cc were fun, 650 Lario went like stink, Nevada is for those who cant afford California, V7 Cafe looks great but needs some modifications to get a bit more HP. The idea behind small blocks is: Light engine. And it is. 350-750, but there are 820cc kits out there (took one for a ride... yummie!).

Small block 4 valve/cyl - V35 Imola II, Lario, some V75: A bit more square valve cover. Had reliability issues. They can be fixed, but it takes some knowledge, money and effort to make them run well and long. I would not reccommend for a first guzzi.

Newer ones... Norges, Stelvios etc... I havent got the slightest idea. but they say Griso is almost as much fun as an old 1976 LeMans.
                    If it doesn't have an engine, it's not a sport, it's only a game.
                    (stole that one from I-dont-know-who)

Comment

Originally posted by jetmechmarty View Post
                      I'm picking up a '98 EV 11 when I get home. It needs lots of work. I just hope it doesn't need too many parts. I shudder thinking about it
                      Ah, the best of the Californias...

At least for my taste.... better switches, brakes, shocks, forks,... than previous/later models. If it is ridable, you should be OK.

Dont worry about the rust or the oil spot beneath the bike. Its just sweating torque.

http://static.photobucket.com/player...jskiovinki.flv

...that was taken by my SWMBO on the back seat of a 1998 California EV (V11 EV in the US).
                      Last edited by strom; 11-10-2010, 08:20 AM.

Comment

Really the only reliability issue on the Centauro and Daytona 4-valve engines was the head...very early ones on the Daytonas had a brittle aluminum alloy that sometimes cracked. On later ones a small percentage of the cams were improperly heat treated at the factory and developed pitting.

If you find either of these bikes from the late 90's with more than 10,000 miles on it the cams should be looked at, but are probably fine (most pitting problems showed up very early, usually within 3,000 mlles). Other than these two problems the 4 valve 1000cc models are as reliable as any other, and have considerably more punch.

Also some people experienced failures of the cam belts if they neglected to replace them in a timely manner.

Fuel injected 4 valve engines need a Will Creedon chip in the ECU, almost all have them by now, Power Commander is another alternative if you have access to a Dynojet dynamometer. Many use both. You will not be satisfied with the power delivery if you don't have at least the Creedon chip. An easy 10 minute modification costing about $100.

A good reference for the 4 valvers is the Centauro Owners Group forum:http://www.centauro-owners.com/forum.html

+1 on the electrics in the early Guzzis, very primitive, (I have heard the electrics described as the "illegitimate spawn of Lucas The Prince of Darkness") own a trickle charger and be prepared to use it.
                        Last edited by Guy_b_g; 11-10-2010, 11:16 AM.
                        Guy

'78E

Comment

4 valve engines... I know of 2 with the same issue:
                          A bolt came loose and got stuck between the cam belt and its sprocket thingie... belt broke.
                          Luckily in both cases no further damage to the engine.

Comment

Love the round fin Guzzis

Originally posted by perurider View Post
                            I HAD a 68 El Dorado...I liked it a lot. some fiat parts were on it. IIRC. AND I could get parts at NAPA.

If you had a '68 it was a V700 with a 700cc four speed
                            If you had an Eldorado it was a '72 or newer 850cc 5 speed.
                            The V700 became the 750cc 4 speed Ambassador which ws offered along side the 850cc 5 speed Eldorado for two years.

Comment

98 ev 11

I parked a derelict '98 EV 11 in my garage. It has wiring issues, rust in the tank, the fuel/emission system came in separate boxes, and it has corrosion from being left outside. It's on the back burner until I get other things in order.

I think it weighs about the same as the XS11 and has about the same wheelbase. It's also a good bit less horsepower. I look forward to getting it running to see if I like riding it.
                              Marty (in Mississippi)
                              XS1100SG
                              XS650SK
                              XS650SH
                              XS650G
                              XS6502F
                              XS650E

Comment

I've a friend in NJ who has owned an '85 LeMans since new. Really love that bike. The sound of the motor/exhaust is so intoxicating. Seems plenty fast to me.
                                1982 XJ1100 MadMax-im
                                2001 Honda ST1100

Comment

Working...
                                X