Any Moto Guzzi lovers out there?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any Moto Guzzi lovers out there?

For some reason, I have been thinking about getting a Moto Guzzi. Something to do with age, and not worrying about HP and speed.
    So what you say about Moto Guzzi's?
    If I knew I was going to live this long, I would have taken better care of myself..

There's some nice Guzzi's around. Some of the new breed are quite tempting aswell as the classics. I like the little 500cc V50. I spotted this new breed at a local haunt over here, don't know what cc but over 500.
    Last edited by FJ111200; 09-23-2010, 12:49 PM.

Comment

Too late to edit last post.

Photobucket and AOL suck. BIG TIME.
      Last edited by FJ111200; 09-23-2010, 01:05 PM.

Comment

Clock's s h i t though.

Comment

I rode a 76 850T3 Guzzi for several years and it's the bike that I miss the most. I wouldn't hesitate to buy another if the price was right and the old lady didn't complain about it...

Geezer
          Hi my name is Tony and I'm a bikeoholic.

The old gray biker ain't what he used to be.

Comment

Love them..!! Regularly road a friends Mk5 Lemans for years, owned a 1000sp for a while (lost it in a fire) and occasionaly ride a Mille from another friend. Only issue I have is knee caps on the cylinder heads. Not an issue if your under 6'1.

Go for it, you wont regret it.
            1980 SG. (Sold - waiting on replacement)
            2000 XJR1300. The Real modern XS11. Others are just pretenders.

Woman (well, my wife anyway) are always on Transmit and never Receive.

"A man should look for what is, and not for what he thinks should be" Albert Einstien.

Comment

I road my Guzzi once in cutoffs and that one short ride was enough to know that it was a very bad idea...

Geezer
              Hi my name is Tony and I'm a bikeoholic.

The old gray biker ain't what he used to be.

Comment

Love them..!! Regularly road a friends Mk5 Lemans for years, owned a 1000sp for a while (lost it in a fire) and occasionaly ride a Mille from another friend. Only issue I have is knee caps on the cylinder heads. Not an issue if your under 6'1.
                I am 6'2" and have owned a '78 LeMans, and a Centauro...never had a problem...maybe my arms are longer than yours?...lol

Great bikes, loved 'em. Wish I never sold 'em.
                Guy

'78E

Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum videtur

Comment

There's some nice Guzzi's around. Some of the new breed are quite tempting aswell as the classics. I like the little 500cc V50. I spotted this new breed at a local haunt over here, don't know what cc but over 500.
                  Looks like a '80s or early '90s LeMans 1000cc with custom aluminum bodywork...still has the Tonti frame, but not new enough to have the spine frame or old enough to have the round cylinder fins.
                  Guy

'78E

Comment

My Father has a 1975 850 California since new.....

I have always wanted one since I was a kid, because that's what Dad always had.
                    So a year ago I saw one being pushed out into the snow bank with a for sale sign on it. I bought it on the spot. It's a 1974, 850-T with 14,000 miles. It needs a little work and a paint job. Been working on it a little here and there. I have never rode one. These posts about being too tall has got me concerned. I'm 6'6" and 280lbs. I ride a lot with my Father and now that I think about it his knees stay behind the cylinders, So I had to check.........I've got about 1 inch clearance to my shins and my knee caps are over top the cylinders and about about 3 inches higher than the covers. I'm thinking my problem is going to be hot shins, but O'well.

I have always LOVED the GUZZI's. Hands down my favorite.........and never rode one!!!

Oh and is that a light near the left rear shock in the picture?
                    Last edited by Flatlander; 09-24-2010, 06:36 AM. Reason: rear shock light?
                    Flatlander

'81 XS11H

Comment

I HAD a 68 El Dorado...I liked it a lot. some fiat parts were on it. IIRC. AND I could get parts at NAPA.
                      '79 XS 1100F

Comment

How funny....

Dad has said there are some VW parts on his.
                        Flatlander

'81 XS11H

Comment

.I've got about 1 inch clearance to my shins and my knee caps are over top the cylinders and about about 3 inches higher than the covers. I'm thinking my problem is going to be hot shins, but O'well.
                          Harper's is the largest source in the USA for parts...while the whole knee/cylinder thing was never a problem for me, they do sell protectors for those who need them.

http://harpermotoguzzi.com/head.htm

Knee Pads
                          If your knees or shins bump the valve covers, you need these Knee Pads! Mounts directly to existing valve cover bolt holes. No drilling necessary. Easy installation. Note: will not fit V50 or V65, sorry.

Item No. Description Price
                          01 1024 Fits all Round Head Engines $29.95 pr
                          01 1025 Fits all Square Head Engines $29.95 pr
                          Guy

'78E

Comment

I HAD a 68 El Dorado...I liked it a lot. some fiat parts were on it. IIRC. AND I could get parts at NAPA.
                            Dad has said there are some VW parts on his.
                            You are both correct.

Older model Guzzis like the El Dorado used a belt driven generator between the cylinders which had good output made by Magnetti Marreli. Later they moved it to the front of the crank and it was Bosch, with poorer output...later still they changed that to a Ducati unit which is the best of the bunch.

My '78 LeMans had the Bosch unit and unless I was riding it on the highway it didn't charge well enough to keep the battery topped up, so I kept it on a trickle charger all the time.

The starter is interchangeable on all (big block) models, and the Bosch unit is the same used on some older Fiats, and VWs..later models with higher compression use a Valeo gear reduction unit with permanent magnets, which draws less amps and is more powerful (also smaller and lighter)..it is more expensive but a good upgrade and fits all the big blocks.
                            Last edited by Guy_b_g; 09-24-2010, 08:43 AM.
                            Guy

'78E

Comment

The starter is interchangeable on all (big block) models
                              Should be: 5 speed (big block) models
                              Guy

'78E

Comment

Working...
                              X